Suspicious message

Old December 3rd 12, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Suspicious message

This started about 6 months ago, but just affected one particular
sender of emails, so I thought it was something at their end - now I am
seeing a few other emails marked up similarly....

In the subject line, at the beginning of the line, it will have the
following in square brackets - [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE]. It arrives from
the Tiscali pop server marked in this way, rather than my system
marking it this way. If one message from a sender is marked in this
way, not all of the messages (despite having similar content) will be
marked in this way.

Does anyone know what might be marking them as such?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old December 3rd 12, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:41:58 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

This started about 6 months ago, but just affected one particular sender
of emails, so I thought it was something at their end - now I am seeing
a few other emails marked up similarly....

In the subject line, at the beginning of the line, it will have the
following in square brackets - [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE]. It arrives from the
Tiscali pop server marked in this way, rather than my system marking it
this way. If one message from a sender is marked in this way, not all of
the messages (despite having similar content) will be marked in this
way.

Does anyone know what might be marking them as such?

I would look at the other headers; they probably give a clue. Any
intermediate mail server could have added this.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old December 3rd 12, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:41:58 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

This started about 6 months ago, but just affected one particular
sender of emails, so I thought it was something at their end - now I am
seeing a few other emails marked up similarly....

In the subject line, at the beginning of the line, it will have the
following in square brackets - [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE]. It arrives from
the Tiscali pop server marked in this way, rather than my system
marking it this way. If one message from a sender is marked in this
way, not all of the messages (despite having similar content) will be
marked in this way.

Does anyone know what might be marking them as such?

My Freeserve Wanadoo Orange email get " *** SPAM *** " prefixed to
the "subject" field if their spam filters so desire. I have all such
messages going to a spam folder. It works very well for me, and on the
odd occasion where I get a false positive or negative I can override
the system with a black list and a white list.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old December 3rd 12, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Graham. formulated :
wrote:

[...]

From the headers, if I am reading them correctly, it looks as if the
Tiscali/Talktalk server is adding it to the subject.

Old December 3rd 12, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

[...]

Plusnet works that way too.
Old December 5th 12, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

In the subject line, at the beginning of the line, it will have the
following in square brackets - [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE]. It arrives from
the Tiscali pop server marked in this way, rather than my system
marking it this way.

Could it be your anti-virus? Mine (NOD32) attaches such warnings to the
subject lines of mail it thinks contains malware, and the scanning takes
place as the message is downloaded, before it actually reaches the inbox.
The actual text appended is user-definable with NOD32. If you look at the
message headers you should see a line for each program or server that has
processed the message, this will reveal if you or your ISP have anything
which is scanning the mail for malware or spam.

-- Pablo Picasso
Old December 6th 12, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , George Weston
writes
wrote:

[...]

BTYahoo dumps them into a Spam folder for your inspection. Designating
them Not Spam moves it back into your Inbox and accepts any further
e-mails from that sender.
--
bert
Old December 6th 12, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 12/6/2012 1:15 PM, bert wrote:

BTYahoo dumps them into a Spam folder for your inspection. Designating
them Not Spam moves it back into your Inbox and accepts any further
e-mails from that sender.

Except when they block stuff _before_ it can reach your Spam folder! I
couldn't understand why I wasn't getting my usual notifications from
American Express and one or two others. It wasn't in the spam folder.

I changed to using a different email for them. Other mail is sometimes
dumped in the spam folder for no apparent reason, but I can at least
retrieve that.
Old December 7th 12, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes

From the headers, if I am reading them correctly, it looks as if the
Tiscali/Talktalk server is adding it to the subject.

I still collect mail from my TalkTalk account (despite not having had
service from them for about a year) and don't recall anything being
marked with the [suspicious message] text you mention.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old December 7th 12, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fredxx

On 07/12/2012 10:43, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes

From the headers, if I am reading them correctly, it looks as if the
Tiscali/Talktalk server is adding it to the subject.

I still collect mail from my TalkTalk account (despite not having had
service from them for about a year) and don't recall anything being
marked with the [suspicious message] text you mention.

It seems they learnt their lesson.

I had online billing and when I moved and cancelled my Tiscali/TalkTalk
connection they deleted my account including email address and access to
invoices. That really hacked me off.

So when I insisted on having 2 years of invoices they had no choice but
to send me two ream sized packages in the post. All because of their
spitefulness, and of course mine.