Flakey ADSL connection

Old December 3rd 12, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

Default Flakey ADSL connection

I had terrible download speed (less than dial-up) and finally decided
to do something about it about two weeks ago. Using diagnostic tools
on my ISP's site a fault was found which i reported to BT (my phone
service provider). BT fixed the fault but my broadband speed didn't
increase. I went back to my ISP and was asked to try the router in the
master socket, with a different cable and different filter. This did
lead to me finding a dodgy CAT5 cable, and I got 6MBs download, woohoo!

All sorted out and tidied away on Saturday morning. Sunday evening my
connection went down, and it wasn't until this morning that I was
able to establish a connection again.

Tracking all of the wiring back to where my responsibility ends I
find the incoming cable from BT. It goes into a GPO box (like the on
he
URL:http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT-Master-Socket-amp-BT-Junction-Box-Query/td-p/573587),
only two of the wires from BT's side are connected within that box.
Is that correct?

I'm running out of ideas, my connection used to be rock-solid, but
it's so flakey now, and it's really inconvenient when I don't have
web-access. Any suggestions or ideas greatfully received.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old December 3rd 12, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newshound

On 03/12/2012 17:04, Justin C wrote:

and it's really inconvenient when I don't have
web-access. Any suggestions or ideas greatfully received.

Justin.

I have had such problems in the past (very frustrating), but I've
recently bought a ZTE 3G mobile wifi hotspot (Huewei make similar). 3G
sim from Amazon costs ~£12 for 3 GB and doesn't expire for three months.
Bought it really for holidays and occasional mobile use, but it serves
as a good backup. Faster than my current line, in fact.

Old December 3rd 12, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

URL:http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT...-Junction-Box-
Query/td-p/573587),
only two of the wires from BT's side are connected within that box.
Is that correct?

Yes.

--
(\_/)