TP-LINK setup..TD-W8951NB

Old December 6th 12, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default TP-LINK setup..TD-W8951NB

Am I alone in thinking that if you are a dumb twit, and you just do the
standard things, the TP-LINK routers are actually good. But if you try
and use any of the advanced features its so buggy that its a miracle if
you can get it to do anything?

I have rebooted it 5 times reset it to factory defaults, had it fail to
respond to pings or be accessible via web interface, tried to save and
reload configuration for over 7 hours now (that doesn't work at all),
and frankly its a piece of ****.

If it isn't connected to the internet, the wireless interface appears to
not exist at all!

ALL I wanted top do was punch ONE hole through its NAT firewall so that
ONE IP address on the internet could connect to ONE server on ONE port
inside my LAN. Total failure. Either everything can, and any joe can
telnet in...sheesh or nothing can. Including my PC on the LAN.

The firewall may work, but I haven't a clue how to make it work.

I mean just what does this MEAN?

"Rule Unmatched: If the current rule can not match, and you select
Forward, the router will skip the rule and transmit directly. If you
select Next, the router will find the next filter rule (show in Filter
list) to match."

What is 'transmit directly'?

Maybe I should use the telnet interface. I have had to use that to get
stats because SNMP., which works, simply doesn't tell you what speed you
are connected at! Or was it how much data had gone down the interface.
Whatever.

Are all domestic routers irremediably crap, in that they stop developing
the software when 95% of users stop complaining?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old December 6th 12, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Titus Aduxass

[...]

Suggest you check you have the latest firmware and update if necessary.
Then try ranting about it to TP-Link support:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact/?categoryid=530
Old December 6th 12, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 06/12/12 19:41, Titus Aduxass wrote:
[...]

Just upgraded the firmware. Even that simply hung for 20 mins saying 'do
not reboot till I'm finished' stuff.

In the end I chanced it and restarted it from a new admin screen. It
seems to have upgraded.

No the issue is that SPI (Stateful packet inspection) blocks ALL
incoming ****. If I turn it off the firewall doesn't do anything that I
can tell. I can telnet right into the router from a remote machine!!

Try as I can I have NO idea how to tell the firewall block everything
EXCEPT.. The instrictions are written in Chinglish..

Old December 6th 12, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Am I alone in thinking that if you are a dumb twit, and you just do the
standard things, the TP-LINK routers are actually good. But if you try
and use any of the advanced features its so buggy that its a miracle if
you can get it to do anything?

I currently have six TL-WR841N v7 - 15 quid each, work nicely with the
standard firmware, easy to OpenWRT, adding a USB port isn't too hard. The
hardware supports VLANs and multiple SSIDs - 400MHz CPU, 32MB RAM. The only
downside is the 4MB flash, which seems to be a common problem among cheapo
routers - I had to fit a USB stick to work around that.

Are all domestic routers irremediably crap, in that they stop developing
the software when 95% of users stop complaining?

I've been using one of the WR841s for 6 months now - the standard software
is a little limited, but everything I've tried seem to work. A good bit
quicker than my old router too.

For some reason I have it in my head that routers with ADSL don't work as
well as 'cable' routers. Not sure where I got that from.

Theo
Old December 6th 12, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that if you are a dumb twit, and you just do the
standard things, the TP-LINK routers are actually good. But if you try
and use any of the advanced features its so buggy that its a miracle if
you can get it to do anything?

Sounds about right...cheap and cheerful, but prone to being utter ****e if
you're trying to do something unusual. e.g, set a DNS server to anything
other than the router itself. It simply won't hand out a DNS server in DHCP
other than itself, and then proxies the DNS requests to the intended DNS
server.

The 'B is an annex B, so if you're struggling to get it working in the UK
then that might explain it.

The only model I've direct experience with is the TD-W8960N, and for 30
it's pretty difficult to fault it [ADSL, wireless N and IPsec support,
300MHz CPU, 32MB RAM].

tried to save and reload configuration for over 7 hours now (that doesn't
work at all)

I've used the config save option to some success...it doesn't give you a
choice to disable NAT in the WAN settings, so when I needed to use one in
front of a firewall with NAT off, I downloaded the config and found it was
XML and managed to disable NAT "by the back door"!

If it isn't connected to the internet, the wireless interface appears to
not exist at all!

Nope, not seen that.

ALL I wanted top do was punch ONE hole through its NAT firewall so that
ONE IP address on the internet could connect to ONE server on ONE port
inside my LAN. Total failure. Either everything can, and any joe can
telnet in...sheesh or nothing can. Including my PC on the LAN.

The firewall may work, but I haven't a clue how to make it work.

I've managed to get the firewall rules working correctly for remote access
to administer the router, but haven't dared try doing anything as
adventurous as a port forward. The firewall rules you're describing sound
more advanced than the ones on the 8960.

I mean just what does this MEAN?

"Rule Unmatched: If the current rule can not match, and you select
Forward, the router will skip the rule and transmit directly. If you
select Next, the router will find the next filter rule (show in Filter
list) to match."

What is 'transmit directly'?

'Pass the packet' I guess. I would try emailing TP-Link support. I've found
them to be responsive in the past [although not particularly useful at
that].

Maybe I should use the telnet interface.

If you want to do more than the cut-down shell lets you, you can. For
example, 'ls' is apparently not a supported command, but 'echo /bin/*' shows
an ls binary is there, and to run it [and any of the other binaries] 'echo 1
| /bin/ls' seems to do the trick. 'echo 1 | /bin/ls -al /webs' reveals quite
a few web forms that aren't linked to from any of the pages, either.

I have had to use that to get
stats because SNMP., which works, simply doesn't tell you what speed you
are connected at! Or was it how much data had gone down the interface.

I found there's only downstream DSL sync speed info but it does actually
tell you throughput on pppoa0 with SNMP.

Are all domestic routers irremediably crap, in that they stop developing
the software when 95% of users stop complaining?

I believe they get the "board support package" from the chipset vendor
[Broadcom in this case] with some sample firmware, slap a few logos on the
web interface and shove it out the door. The more reputable vendors might
actually try to fix some of the bugs before they ship it too. The same
business model is used in other product lines, eg switches. I've seen 3Com,
Dell, Cisco Small Business/Linksys and Netgear versions of exactly the same
Marvell switch family; 3Com and Netgear versions were awful, Dell and
Linksys are fine.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:49:12 up 4 days, 3:35, 6 users, load average: 0.53, 0.88, 1.00

Old December 6th 12, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 06/12/12 22:01, alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Am I alone in thinking that if you are a dumb twit, and you just do the
standard things, the TP-LINK routers are actually good. But if you try
and use any of the advanced features its so buggy that its a miracle if
you can get it to do anything?

Sounds about right...cheap and cheerful, but prone to being utter ****e if
you're trying to do something unusual. e.g, set a DNS server to anything
other than the router itself. It simply won't hand out a DNS server in DHCP
other than itself, and then proxies the DNS requests to the intended DNS
server.

Oh. No that worked OK. I said 'user discovered' and told it to use my
linux server.

[...]

well I could set up port fowarding OK BUT then when testing I discovered
the damn thing was wide open.

Settiong SPI disabled ALL external access.

Then I tried the ACL which definitely says 'if you want to rtestric
access enter the thing that is allowed to access

So I did. Now I cant access the web interface AT ALL.

I mean just what does this MEAN?

"Rule Unmatched: If the current rule can not match, and you select
Forward, the router will skip the rule and transmit directly. If you
select Next, the router will find the next filter rule (show in Filter
list) to match."

What is 'transmit directly'?

'Pass the packet' I guess. I would try emailing TP-Link support. I've found
them to be responsive in the past [although not particularly useful at
that].

Maybe I should use the telnet interface.

If you want to do more than the cut-down shell lets you, you can. For
example, 'ls' is apparently not a supported command, but 'echo /bin/*' shows
an ls binary is there, and to run it [and any of the other binaries] 'echo 1
| /bin/ls' seems to do the trick. 'echo 1 | /bin/ls -al /webs' reveals quite
a few web forms that aren't linked to from any of the pages, either.

I have had to use that to get
stats because SNMP., which works, simply doesn't tell you what speed you
are connected at! Or was it how much data had gone down the interface.

I found there's only downstream DSL sync speed info but it does actually
tell you throughput on pppoa0 with SNMP.

Are all domestic routers irremediably crap, in that they stop developing
the software when 95% of users stop complaining?

I believe they get the "board support package" from the chipset vendor
[Broadcom in this case] with some sample firmware, slap a few logos on the
web interface and shove it out the door. The more reputable vendors might
actually try to fix some of the bugs before they ship it too. The same
business model is used in other product lines, eg switches. I've seen 3Com,
Dell, Cisco Small Business/Linksys and Netgear versions of exactly the same
Marvell switch family; 3Com and Netgear versions were awful, Dell and
Linksys are fine.

I thought my now dead Billion was bad, but at least it was obvious what
it did although it took ages to find the screens.

Anyway I have a router which I simply cannot access except by telnet now.

The pass through works.. but lord knows what ports else it has open.

Or who can access it..

Old December 7th 12, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Theo Markettos (for it is he) wrote:

For some reason I have it in my head that routers with ADSL don't work as
well as 'cable' routers. Not sure where I got that from.

Certainly with OpenWRT - a router with a DSL port that you can get OpenWRT
to run reliably on is a rare beast IME. I would dearly love to be proved
wrong on this.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:25:36 up 4 days, 15:11, 6 users, load average: 0.68, 0.79, 0.83

Old December 7th 12, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 07/12/12 08:26, alexd wrote:
Theo Markettos (for it is he) wrote:

For some reason I have it in my head that routers with ADSL don't work as
well as 'cable' routers. Not sure where I got that from.

Certainly with OpenWRT - a router with a DSL port that you can get OpenWRT
to run reliably on is a rare beast IME. I would dearly love to be proved
wrong on this.

I think sticking a sensitive microvolt level RF amplifier on the end of
yards of wire and expecting it to survive lightning storms is overly
optimistic frankly.

Frankly I am half inclined to see if there is a DSL card for a PC and
make my own..

Makes me long for the days of Ciscos and IOS or whatever it was called.

I wonder if there is a Cisco with ADSL voip and wifi..at least when
they break they can be repaired....

Old December 7th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

On 07/12/12 08:26, alexd wrote:
Theo Markettos (for it is he) wrote:

For some reason I have it in my head that routers with ADSL don't
work as
well as 'cable' routers. Not sure where I got that from.

Certainly with OpenWRT - a router with a DSL port that you can get
OpenWRT
to run reliably on is a rare beast IME. I would dearly love to be proved
wrong on this.

I think sticking a sensitive microvolt level RF amplifier on the end of
yards of wire and expecting it to survive lightning storms is overly
optimistic frankly.

Frankly I am half inclined to see if there is a DSL card for a PC and
make my own..

Makes me long for the days of Ciscos and IOS or whatever it was called.

I wonder if there is a Cisco with ADSL voip and wifi..at least when
they break they can be repaired....

You could try a Vigor V2830Vn ...

--
Graham J

Old December 7th 12, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 07/12/12 08:26, alexd wrote:
[...]

Yeah..I looked at them, when I got my billion, but frankly if I want a
modern design statement, I'll get a lava lamp, not a router...at least
that one is more of a square box...

And I bet you can't replace chips in it when they fry. either.