HELP: Password and home network problem.

Old December 11th 12, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nosey

Default HELP: Password and home network problem.

Hello everyone and season greetings

I hope someone can help me sort this annoying problem which I'm clueless about.

I have a main desktop PC (non-wi-fi) which is directly connected by a cable to my BT Home Hub. I
also have two laptops which have been set up
to use the wi-fi so as to connect to the Internet and connect to the home network (workgroup??) to
access files on the main desktop. I have set a password (heaven knows WHY???) which I have to enter
when main PC boots up and also when any laptop needs to connect to the network to access files.

****What I want to do is remove the password and still allow the laptops access to the
network**********

I am able to remove the password using the User Accounts but the laptops are no longer able to
connect to the network (but they are still able to connect to the Internet). As soon as I put the
password back, the laptops can access the network again. My simple thinking says that if there is no
password, then they should connect ; but obviously not.

Many thanks

Kevin (IOW)

Old December 11th 12, 10:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

http://blog.ginchen.de/en/2009/08/09...ohne-kennwort/

Old December 11th 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nosey

Default Password and home network problem.

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I have Vista and your link is for XP and the method is not
the same. Most of the things it talks about
are not in Vista

nosey

Old December 11th 12, 11:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:08:52 -0000
"nosey" wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I have Vista and your link is
for XP and the method is not the same. Most of the things it talks
about are not in Vista

If you'd said what you were running I might have found something
appropriate.

Old December 11th 12, 11:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nosey

Yeah, point taken.

Sorry. If you need any more info, please ask.

nosey

Old December 11th 12, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 11/12/2012 in message nosey
wrote:

****What I want to do is remove the password and still allow the laptops
access to the network**********

I am able to remove the password using the User Accounts but the laptops
are no longer able to connect to the network (but they are still able to
connect to the Internet). As soon as I put the password back, the laptops
can access the network again. My simple thinking says that if there is no
password, then they should connect ; but obviously not.

The Windows rule is "no password no share" for good reasons.
Makes sure all the computers use the same workgroup name then add each
user to all the machines with the same user name and password.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
Old December 11th 12, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

[...]

Windows home networking can be a problem.

What I would do is set up a new workgroup, with a different name, make
certain file and printer sharing is turned on, and see what happens.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old December 11th 12, 03:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:38:10 -0000
"nosey" wrote:

news:[email protected]
"nosey" wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I have Vista and your link
is for XP and the method is not the same. Most of the things it
talks about are not in Vista

If you'd said what you were running I might have found something
appropriate.

Yeah, point taken.

Sorry. If you need any more info, please ask.

How about this one?
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...ng-enable.html

Old January 3rd 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

"nosey" wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I have Vista and your link is
for XP and the method is not the same. Most of the things it talks
about are not in Vista

If you'd said what you were running I might have found something
appropriate.

Nosey was very polite with HIS reply.

Geoff Lane

Old January 29th 13, 07:31 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jack Ouzzi

On Tuesday, 11 December 2012 13:38:43 UTC+1, Chris Whelan wrote:
[...]

Windows IS a problem .. full stop :-)