A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 20th 12, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ...

I don't use my S2 much now because when I do a top-up Three cancels
any unused services (texts, 3-3 calls, Internet) after a mere 45 days.
GiggGaff on my Nokia is a miles better service. However my Three
mobile dongle ran out of credit so I needed to tether the S2 with an
Internet add-on.

Then on the train whilst playing around with the S2 (untethered) I
tried the BBC News mobile site. This was always a useful mini site
well laid out that could be easily browsed. Yet it was completely
screwed up in layout with clickable links in the form of blue
rectangles all over the place. What HAVE they done?

Chris B.
  #2  
Old December 20th 12, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 539
Default BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ...

CJB wrote:
Then on the train whilst playing around with the S2 (untethered) I
tried the BBC News mobile site. This was always a useful mini site
well laid out that could be easily browsed. Yet it was completely
screwed up in layout with clickable links in the form of blue
rectangles all over the place. What HAVE they done?


Don't know, but there's another breakage that any access from a browser with
a User-Agent containing the string 'armv' is redirected to the mobile site.
So Firefox on netbook A (Intel Atom, Ubuntu, 1024x600 screen) gets the
normal site and Firefox on netbook B (ARM-based Tegra 2, Ubuntu, 1024x600
screen) gets the mobile site with letters half an inch high.

Theo
  #3  
Old December 20th 12, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 465
Default BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ...

CJB wrote:
I don't use my S2 much now because when I do a top-up Three cancels
any unused services (texts, 3-3 calls, Internet) after a mere 45 days.
GiggGaff on my Nokia is a miles better service. However my Three
mobile dongle ran out of credit so I needed to tether the S2 with an
Internet add-on.

I had my S2 unlocked and use a Giffgaff as well as a ringfenced 3pay
sim in it

Then on the train whilst playing around with the S2 (untethered) I
tried the BBC News mobile site. This was always a useful mini site
well laid out that could be easily browsed. Yet it was completely
screwed up in layout with clickable links in the form of blue
rectangles all over the place. What HAVE they done?
Chris B.

BBC news seems OK on mine, i mostly use the S2 for free skype calls
(brew ver 3.80 skype firmware) and tethered to a netbook as a modem

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk


  #4  
Old December 20th 12, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ...

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:38:02 -0000, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

CJB wrote:
I don't use my S2 much now because when I do a top-up Three cancels
any unused services (texts, 3-3 calls, Internet) after a mere 45 days.
GiggGaff on my Nokia is a miles better service. However my Three
mobile dongle ran out of credit so I needed to tether the S2 with an
Internet add-on.

I had my S2 unlocked and use a Giffgaff as well as a ringfenced 3pay
sim in it

Then on the train whilst playing around with the S2 (untethered) I
tried the BBC News mobile site. This was always a useful mini site
well laid out that could be easily browsed. Yet it was completely
screwed up in layout with clickable links in the form of blue
rectangles all over the place. What HAVE they done?
Chris B.

BBC news seems OK on mine, i mostly use the S2 for free skype calls
(brew ver 3.80 skype firmware) and tethered to a netbook as a modem

Steve Terry


I thought they were all forcibly upgraded to 3.81.0.0 in 2011?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
  #5  
Old December 21st 12, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 465
Default BBC News mobile website on Three S2 screwed up ...

Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:38:02 -0000, "Steve Terry"
wrote:
CJB wrote:

snip
BBC news seems OK on mine, i mostly use the S2 for free skype calls
(brew ver 3.80 skype firmware) and tethered to a netbook as a modem
Steve Terry


I thought they were all forcibly upgraded to 3.81.0.0 in 2011?

I've one that missed both OTA upgrades, it still has 2.9.12 which doesn't
work

Any idea how to get 3 to send a Skype S2 OTA, so far no one i've spoke
to at 3 knows what a S2 is

3.81.0 should be OK, AFAIK that was the last one for the S2

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
news.bbc.co.uk Cork Soaker uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 November 6th 08 08:26 AM
UK newest mobile phones website sam uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 May 18th 07 10:23 AM
UK newest mobile phones website sam uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 May 18th 07 10:23 AM
BBC News covers open Wi-fi instalations Dave Fawthrop uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 February 23rd 07 02:02 PM
BBC Broadband news TX2 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 June 21st 04 08:58 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.