BT Business Broadband and outgoing SMTP traffic

Old January 11th 13, 10:14 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

Default BT Business Broadband and outgoing SMTP traffic

Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old January 11th 13, 10:34 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 11/01/13 10:14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

That depends on the mail client.

And the target server.

MOST people will not accept mail from random senders on dynamic
addressees simply because that's the way all spam goes. Having a well
known mail relay is the answer.

Most mail clients are not smart enough to handle direct sending of mail
either: they only allow one 'SMTP relay' to be configured.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old January 11th 13, 10:34 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

You may have to use a less-well known port than 25 for the outgoing SMTP
traffic, otherwise it might be blocked by BT.

I support a server (SBS2008) which connects to a BT business broadband
service; but that sends through a smart relay operated by the people
that provide the incoming email service. So it doesn't use the BT mail
server.

Another server (SBS2011) sends directly via MX lookups; but the internet
connection is via Plusnet.

Sorry I can't be more help.

--
Graham J

Old January 11th 13, 02:38 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 11/01/2013 10:34, Graham J wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

You may have to use a less-well known port than 25 for the outgoing SMTP
traffic, otherwise it might be blocked by BT.

I support a server (SBS2008) which connects to a BT business broadband
service; but that sends through a smart relay operated by the people
that provide the incoming email service. So it doesn't use the BT mail
server.

Another server (SBS2011) sends directly via MX lookups; but the internet
connection is via Plusnet.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Question: does BT Business Broadband use the flaky Yahoo mail system
which is used by BT's domestic customers?
Old January 11th 13, 03:22 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Andrew Gabriel writted thus:

Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

From a domestic BT Infinity point of view, I send MX myself, but I can
tell you that port 25 is blocked for me, I have to use 110/587 to get any
connection to my own UK based mail server, and then BT have added my
server IP to several spam blacklists and continue to do so when I have it
removed...

They are a PITA about it, and will not compromise. I send little traffic,
certainly not spam.

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old January 11th 13, 04:54 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:22:28 +0000 (UTC), tigger
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel writted thus:

Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

From a domestic BT Infinity point of view, I send MX myself, but I can
tell you that port 25 is blocked for me, I have to use 110/587 to get any
connection to my own UK based mail server, and then BT have added my
server IP to several spam blacklists and continue to do so when I have it
removed...

They are a PITA about it, and will not compromise. I send little traffic,
certainly not spam.

You describe disadvantages but what are the benefits of by-passing BT's or
some other ISP's outward mail gateways? Is this a libertarian thing or is
there a useful advantage to be gained by sending emails directly to your
recipients' MXs? Although you may never send spam you happen to be fighting
for the freedom of those who do that either deliberately or from infection.
Old January 11th 13, 07:35 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Anthony R. Gold writted thus:

wrote:

Andrew Gabriel writted thus:

Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband
... Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail
servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

From a domestic BT Infinity point of view, I send MX myself, but I can
tell you that port 25 is blocked for me, I have to use 110/587 to get
any connection to my own UK based mail server, and then BT have added
my server IP to several spam blacklists and continue to do so when I
have it removed...

They are a PITA about it, and will not compromise. I send little
traffic,
certainly not spam.

You describe disadvantages but what are the benefits of by-passing BT's
or some other ISP's outward mail gateways? Is this a libertarian thing
or is there a useful advantage to be gained by sending emails directly
to your recipients' MXs? Although you may never send spam you happen to
be fighting for the freedom of those who do that either deliberately or
from infection.

On the contrary, I dislike spam and spammers. The problem is I also
dislike my isp doing deep-packet (or not-so-deep packet) inspection and
blocking / manipulating my domestic traffic bound for destination TCP
port 25. It seemed that when used, this port prompts negative reaction
from BT (described above)

I pay them for an proper Internet connection, I didn't expect BT to be
intrusive or restrictive when I ordered a premium account with unlimited
bandwidth (even if it is 'domestic').

It just ****ed me off that I was restricted in what I could achieve. Now
I am not. The benefit for me was that after excluding port 25 and thus
removing their petty restrictions, our server could communicate both ways
100% on our personal intranet across the UK, as well as the general WWW.

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old January 12th 13, 08:45 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

wrote:

Andrew Gabriel writted thus:

Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

From a domestic BT Infinity point of view, I send MX myself, but I can
tell you that port 25 is blocked for me, I have to use 110/587 to get any
connection to my own UK based mail server, and then BT have added my
server IP to several spam blacklists and continue to do so when I have it
removed...

They are a PITA about it, and will not compromise. I send little traffic,
certainly not spam.

You describe disadvantages but what are the benefits of by-passing BT's or
some other ISP's outward mail gateways? Is this a libertarian thing or is
there a useful advantage to be gained by sending emails directly to your
recipients' MXs? Although you may never send spam you happen to be fighting
for the freedom of those who do that either deliberately or from infection.

One of the issues on the non-business service, is that if you want to send
outbound mail, through BT's mail servers, using a From: address which is
not your BT From: address you have to pre-register it.

That's a pain in the neck if you don't use your BT mail address, or have
several possible From: addresses you use for whatever reason. Easier for
me to set up a secure mail relay on a VPS I own and avoid BT all-together
than it is to pre-register From: addresses.
--
Tony Evans
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993
Old January 12th 13, 11:45 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Andrew Gabriel writted thus:

Trying to help out someone remotely who is on BT Business Broadband ...
Does this service force outgoing SMTP traffic through BT's mail servers,
or can you send to MX's directly yourself?

From a domestic BT Infinity point of view, I send MX myself, but I can
[...]

That's what I have done.
I use none of my ISP's servers.

Why? I used to run servers like that. I had root privileges on them. I
could read anyone's mail.

And I don't think my little ISP can afford deep packet inspection.