Problems reconfiguring a Linksys/Cisco EA2700 with a different localIP address

Old January 28th 13, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

Default Problems reconfiguring a Linksys/Cisco EA2700 with a different localIP address

I have a new EA2700 which I'm about to introduce into my local network.
I have always changed the default 192.168.1.1/24 network to one of the
other RFC1918 blocks so I set out to do that again.

The configuration screen allows me to change the IP address of the
router to (say) 10.1.1.1 but the DHCP address range is hard coded in its
first three octets, that is to say 192.168.1.---

Damn poor programming, I'd say. If I change the internal IP address to
a different subnet the page should automatically offer a valid DHCP
range. But of course domestic WiFi routers are designed for people who
haven't a clue, so when someone turns up who does he can't expect it to
work ...

Can anyone suggest how to get round this? I can't leave the DHCP range
as it is in a different subnet (it won't let me), so the only way to
save the new local IP address is to disable DHCP. Tiresome, as I'll
then have to give my client machine a fixed IP address in order to get
in and (hopefully) find that the DHCP range that it will accept is in
the new local network subnet. Untidy, but in the end do-able.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old January 28th 13, 06:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:00:46 UTC, Henry Law
wrote:

I have a new EA2700 which I'm about to introduce into my local network.
I have always changed the default 192.168.1.1/24 network to one of the
other RFC1918 blocks so I set out to do that again.

The configuration screen allows me to change the IP address of the
router to (say) 10.1.1.1 but the DHCP address range is hard coded in its
first three octets, that is to say 192.168.1.---

That's because you are not doing it the way Cisco want you to. You
obviously aren't supposed to do that. Have they forced upgraded it for
you yet? Have a Google.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old January 29th 13, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Davies

Henry Law wrote:
I have a new EA2700 which I'm about to introduce into my local network.

The configuration screen allows me to change the IP address of the
router to (say) 10.1.1.1 but the DHCP address range is hard coded in its
first three octets, that is to say 192.168.1.---

If you actually change the IP address, doesn't the DHCP address range
follow?

Chris
Old January 29th 13, 08:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 29/01/13 17:21, Chris Davies wrote:
The configuration screen allows me to change the IP address of the
router to (say) 10.1.1.1 but the DHCP address range is hard coded in its
first three octets, that is to say 192.168.1.---

If you actually change the IP address, doesn't the DHCP address range
follow?

Not until you reboot. And the config utility won't allow you to have
DHCP addresses which aren't in the router's own network (obviously) and
complains if you just leave it, so you have to disable DHCP, reboot,
reconfigure your client for static IP, connect up, change the DHCP range
and re-enable, power cycle the router to enable the changes, and then
put your client back to automatic. Damn pain.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old April 14th 13, 08:38 PM
Kord Martin Kord Martin is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Law View Post
Not until you reboot. And the config utility won't allow you to have
DHCP addresses which aren't in the router's own network (obviously) and
complains if you just leave it, so you have to disable DHCP, reboot,
reconfigure your client for static IP, connect up, change the DHCP range
and re-enable, power cycle the router to enable the changes, and then
put your client back to automatic. Damn pain.
--
Henry Law Manchester, England
I know this thread is a few months old, but I was having the same problem. My network is in the 172.16.0.0 range and I couldn't get the DHCP server to assign addresses to my devices.

The update to "smart Wi-Fi" (firmware ver 1.1.39) allows the DHCP server to assign addresses that are outside of the default network. The new interface is very annoying, but at least changes take place immediately and you don't need to power cycle in the right order.