Broadband Options

Old January 30th 13, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Crook

Default Broadband Options

Hi all,

I'm currently approaching the long-awaited date when I can escape from a
Talktalk contract. I got duped into taking it out two years ago after
being assured it would deliver everything my Nildram service did. Yes
well, that's another story.

I live in Cornwall where Superfast Broadband is currently being rolled
out and I'm expecting it to be available in the next few months. This
is leading me to consider the ISP options I have available. I'm a
fairly technical user and currently host a number of services, some from
my own broadband and others from various Dedicated Hosting providers.

My principle requirements a-

Multiple IP Support (Nothing huge, just a /29)
High or unlimited usage profile (I have resident teenagers)
IPv6 support would be nice but I can live without it

I've considered Andrews & Arnold and know them to be an excellent
provider but their usage-charging method puts me off.

Demon are an old favourite but their supported speeds (1Mb/s upload)
seem quite low in comparison with others' claims. Maybe they're just
honest!

BT look quite cost-effective but they don't appear to support multiple
IPs. Probably no fault of theirs but they're also the favourite target
for the speculative invoicers such as Golden Eye. I have nothing to
hide from them but my principles scream out against such practises.

Others, such as PlusNet and Eclipse look quite promising but I know
little about them. No doubt there are many many other providers in my
"don't know them" category.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of other ISPs I should consider.

Steve
Old January 30th 13, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/01/13 11:15, Steve Crook wrote:
[...]

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_ratings.php

any of the top ten. Read the specs carefully though. And read the
comments. Some of the negative ratings are from obvious ****wits, some
are obviously genuine issues with the ISP.

The biggest source of hassle can be spilt into various categories
- the service didn't provide what it was expected to. (what were your
expectations?)
- the service didn't provide a usable connection at all (that IS a
reasonable expectation!)
- the support to fix a real issue was so dire it meant they were no
longer worth spending money with. (and that too, is a reasonable
expectation.)
- some ancillary service was ill supported (did you REALLY need that? )

Price
features
ACTUALLY ACHIEVED bandwidth as a percentage of what your line SHOULD do
Quality of support when it is NOT working as it should,.

That's what I rate on, and IDNET came top for me when I moved.

Largely because thy also offered phone packages that suited by call pattern.

AAISP and Zen were then in the frame too.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old January 30th 13, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:56:07 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

I have Zen, and am totally satisfied with them.
--
Davey.
Old January 30th 13, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Crook

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:56:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_ratings.php

any of the top ten. Read the specs carefully though. And read the
comments. Some of the negative ratings are from obvious ****wits, some
are obviously genuine issues with the ISP.

[snip]

That's what I rate on, and IDNET came top for me when I moved.

Largely because thy also offered phone packages that suited by call pattern.

That's very useful info. You're spot-on for my requirements
with IDnet. The Fibre Pro option combined with unlimited calls and line
rental looks quite attractive. Zen also look good, with nearly
identical prices. However, they don't offer the juicy dangled carrot of
IPv6.

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Old January 30th 13, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/01/13 12:55, Steve Crook wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:56:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_ratings.php

any of the top ten. Read the specs carefully though. And read the
comments. Some of the negative ratings are from obvious ****wits, some
are obviously genuine issues with the ISP.

[snip]

That's what I rate on, and IDNET came top for me when I moved.

Largely because thy also offered phone packages that suited by call pattern.

That's very useful info. You're spot-on for my requirements
with IDnet. The Fibre Pro option combined with unlimited calls and line
rental looks quite attractive. Zen also look good, with nearly
identical prices. However, they don't offer the juicy dangled carrot of
IPv6.

Golly. is IPv6 enabled on IDnet? ****. that means I've got no excuse not
to implement it..

Bugger. Another tedious day fighting my own ignorance with tons of badly
written web pages..

I think I'll wait till I have a better router.

Old January 30th 13, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Crook

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:01:00 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in
Golly. is IPv6 enabled on IDnet? ****. that means I've got no excuse not
to implement it..

Bugger. Another tedious day fighting my own ignorance with tons of badly
written web pages..

I think I'll wait till I have a better router.

I can highly recommend Microtik Routerboards.
http://routerboard.com

I use the RB450G model available (cased) from http://linitx.com.
Old January 30th 13, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Golly. is IPv6 enabled on IDnet? ****. that means I've got no excuse not
to implement it..

Bugger. Another tedious day fighting my own ignorance with tons of badly
written web pages..

I think I'll wait till I have a better router.

IDnet IPv6 works fine on routers which can run Tomato USB (Toastman
build). Tomato USB is free alternative router firmware like OpenWrt,
DD-WRT.

Of course there is very little advantage to IPv6 at present.

Old January 30th 13, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/01/13 13:21, Steve Crook wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:01:00 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote in
Golly. is IPv6 enabled on IDnet? ****. that means I've got no excuse not
to implement it..

Bugger. Another tedious day fighting my own ignorance with tons of badly
written web pages..

I think I'll wait till I have a better router.

I can highly recommend Microtik Routerboards.
http://routerboard.com

I use the RB450G model available (cased) from http://linitx.com.

sadly I want ADSL, VOIP presentation to a POTS socket, and wifi..

Probably go Cisco.

Old January 30th 13, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/01/13 13:29, Nick wrote:

Golly. is IPv6 enabled on IDnet? ****. that means I've got no excuse not
to implement it..

Bugger. Another tedious day fighting my own ignorance with tons of badly
written web pages..

I think I'll wait till I have a better router.

IDnet IPv6 works fine on routers which can run Tomato USB (Toastman
build). Tomato USB is free alternative router firmware like OpenWrt,
DD-WRT.

Of course there is very little advantage to IPv6 at present.

Ok, I think that is worth a bit of thread drift.

Now lets say that I can not only get a block of public IPv6 addresses,
but also use them internally and get them onto DNS servers to make them
public. And I set up a fully IPV6 router to route to them

I assume that some wuss with only IPV4 simply wont be able to talk to them?

And I'd still have to port forward an IPV4 address anyway?

Old January 30th 13, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

lets say that I can not only get a block of public IPv6 addresses,
but also use them internally and get them onto DNS servers to make them
public. And I set up a fully IPV6 router to route to them

I assume that some wuss with only IPV4 simply wont be able to talk to them?

And I'd still have to port forward an IPV4 address anyway?

Don't think you can simply port-forward from IPv4 to IPv6, NAT64 solves
the 'opposite' problem. You might have to run a reverse proxy with
outward facing IPv4 address and IPv6 internally.