Is there another rip-off coming.

Old February 5th 13, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Is there another rip-off coming.

I am currently (and have been since I was a beta tester) with
Virgin Media cable broadband. I have the 10Mb service, phone, and
the free TV channels including HD. For all of this I am paying
(now after a 2.21pm increase) 33.61 per month.

We will, shortly be getting a speed upgrade to 20Mb - although
given that they have been promising it for a year I will believe
it when I see it.

Looking at their web site today I find that a newcomer can have
the 'Classic' option - which is 30Mb broadband, the same phone
service, and TV with a Tivo 500Mb HD recorder for (after the six
month introductory discount) the princely sum of 32.99

Is this the usual British disease of grabbing the new business
and shafting the existing customer - especially as the 'Classic'
option is not available to existing customers?

I don't want to move away from VM as their service meets my
needs, but what can I do to get a better deal?

I spoke to Retentions before the price rise as, realistically, I
don't need the TV and we rarely use the phone (we still have a BT
line.) All they could offer was broadband only for 26+ or
broadband and phone for 24+ but I would have to sign up to a new
18 month contract. Their logic beat me.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 5th 13, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

Well tell them to shove it and use the 288 saved to get freeview / freesat
/ steerable dish.

Old February 6th 13, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:17:51 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

I am currently (and have been since I was a beta tester) with
Virgin Media cable broadband. I have the 10Mb service, phone, and
the free TV channels including HD. For all of this I am paying
(now after a 2.21pm increase) 33.61 per month.

We will, shortly be getting a speed upgrade to 20Mb - although
given that they have been promising it for a year I will believe
it when I see it.

Looking at their web site today I find that a newcomer can have
the 'Classic' option - which is 30Mb broadband, the same phone
service, and TV with a Tivo 500Mb HD recorder for (after the six
month introductory discount) the princely sum of 32.99

Is this the usual British disease of grabbing the new business
and shafting the existing customer - especially as the 'Classic'
option is not available to existing customers?

Probably.

I don't want to move away from VM as their service meets my
needs, but what can I do to get a better deal?

Leave. There are alternatives. If you have a BT line then you can
probably get ADSL or FTTC broadband.

If more people did this then companies would not get away with these
kind of 'deals'.

I spoke to Retentions before the price rise as, realistically, I
don't need the TV and we rarely use the phone (we still have a BT
line.) All they could offer was broadband only for 26+ or
broadband and phone for 24+ but I would have to sign up to a new
18 month contract. Their logic beat me.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old February 6th 13, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:17:51 -0000
"Woody" wrote:

I am currently (and have been since I was a beta tester) with
Virgin Media cable broadband. I have the 10Mb service, phone, and
the free TV channels including HD. For all of this I am paying
(now after a 2.21pm increase) 33.61 per month.

We will, shortly be getting a speed upgrade to 20Mb - although
given that they have been promising it for a year I will believe
it when I see it.

Looking at their web site today I find that a newcomer can have
the 'Classic' option - which is 30Mb broadband, the same phone
service, and TV with a Tivo 500Mb HD recorder for (after the six
month introductory discount) the princely sum of 32.99

Is this the usual British disease of grabbing the new business
and shafting the existing customer - especially as the 'Classic'
option is not available to existing customers?

It's not only British: when I lived in Michigan, my cable company was
always sending everybody teasers for its broadband service, with 3 or 6
month almost-free rates. After that, the cost was prohibitive. But it
clearly stated that only new people who had not previously been
customers could take up the offer.
--
Davey.

Old February 6th 13, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Park

"Davey" wrote in message ...

It's not only British: when I lived in Michigan, my cable company was
always sending everybody teasers for its broadband service, with 3 or 6
month almost-free rates. After that, the cost was prohibitive. But it
clearly stated that only new people who had not previously been
customers could take up the offer.
--
Davey.

******

On TV News Virgin Being bought by an American company.
Regards
David
Old February 6th 13, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Woody wrote:
Looking at their web site today I find that a newcomer can have
the 'Classic' option - which is 30Mb broadband, the same phone
service, and TV with a Tivo 500Mb HD recorder for (after the six
month introductory discount) the princely sum of 32.99

Is this the usual British disease of grabbing the new business
and shafting the existing customer - especially as the 'Classic'
option is not available to existing customers?

You can get 30Mb just by calling them, particularly if you have any problems
with your modem it'll get upgraded to the 30Mb SuperHub.

I spoke to Retentions before the price rise as, realistically, I
don't need the TV and we rarely use the phone (we still have a BT
line.) All they could offer was broadband only for 26+ or
broadband and phone for 24+ but I would have to sign up to a new
18 month contract. Their logic beat me.

Usually new user deals like the above mean signing up to a new 18/24 month
contract anyway, so you're essentially in the same position. VM aren't good
at doing 'cheap and basic' tariffs so figure on paying at least 20 to begin
with.

Depends whether you can take the step from cable to ADSL...

Another option is broadband only then VOIP for phone from someone like
Gradwell, AAISP, or Sipgate. Don't forget that any Virgin offer that
includes phone doesn't include phone because the small print is always
('plus your line rental at 15/month')... and the calls cost a fortune.
sigh.

Theo
Old February 6th 13, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Theo Markettos" wrote in
message ...
Woody wrote:
[...]

Thanks Theo - I think I did say that.

What I don't understand is why I will be getting a speed double
to 20Mb when others can have 30Mb from the start and 20Mb is not
an available option. Would it not just be easier to put everyone
on 30Mb?

Old February 6th 13, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 19:17:51 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:
[snip]

The impending takeover by Liberty Global may change things:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...liberty-global
Old February 6th 13, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:
[snip]

The impending takeover by Liberty Global may change things:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...liberty-global

I'm puzzled as to how the media seems to think that Global taking
over VM will topple Sky from the top spot. The only way that will
happen is if they start laying new cable/fibre to get more people
on line. Somehow I can't see that happening.

They might however get some of the American customer service
standards into the VM call centres - and bring them all back to
the UK.

I'm afraid all I see is prices going up.

Old February 6th 13, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Woody wrote:
What I don't understand is why I will be getting a speed double
to 20Mb when others can have 30Mb from the start and 20Mb is not
an available option. Would it not just be easier to put everyone
on 30Mb?

If you have a 'traditional' cable modem, it's only good to 20Mb (at least
some models). The superhub can do 30+. The superhub is standard issue to
new users, so they get put on 30 by default. 10 to 20 is VM's standard
rolling upgrade programme, though I thought they'd all been done some time
ago, and you can do that without a modem change (which means a technician
visit, to register the new MAC address).

So, if you get a new modem (the superhub) you can get 30. If there's a
modem fault that means it needs replacing anyway, they'll give you one. You
can probably talk them into giving you one otherwise, but might require
committing to a new contract period.

OTOH reports about the superhub have been mixed, especially if using it as a
router not a dumb modem. So 20Mb stable might be better than 30Mb flaky.
Read the VM forums for feedback on the current state of the superhub.

Theo