Stop go browsing

Old February 12th 13, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Stop go browsing

When I adjusted my DNS setting (see my post of the 21/01/13) I thought
I had resolved it, but its back....

Laptop using wifi via my router seems not to have a problem, but my
wired desktop does. Click a link for a website, click on the link for
the next page and sometimes it appears, sometimes it takes forever to
show up, sometimes it starts a google search for the requested page.

Right clicking on my LAN connection and selecting 'Repair', seems to
sort it out everytime. If I run a speedtest.net, the page suffers the
same problem as above, yet the actual speedtest shows full speed.
Downloads also run at full speed. Email suffers similarly, as does a
program which updates a website with fresh weather data every few
minutes.

If I enable the desktops wifi connection it works fast for a while,
then it starts to suffer similarly.

Everything is set up on fixed IP's.

It seems as if any change I make fixes it for a while, then the
problems re-appears. Connection Repair, or reboot the router all fix it
for a while. It seemed at first to be a DNS problem, I have also tried
swapping out the router.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old February 12th 13, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message . uk...
[...]

Might seem a daft suggestion but try running Firefox for a while.
I see similar problems using IE8 under XP SP3 that IE9 under W7
on a laptop does not. I also notice that there seems to be a lot
of hard disc activity whilst I am waiting for IE8, and if I do
the three fingered salute and try to close IE8 it says it is
busy. Firefox does not seem to suffer.

Did wonder if it was AV related, but have just changed from
Kaspersky to Bitdefender and the delays haven't abated

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 12th 13, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Woody laid this down on his screen :
[...]

At the moment I am running Firefox concurrently, just for the
SambaMobile credit ads.. Both IE8 and Firefox seem to slow down/stop at
the same time.

Did wonder if it was AV related, but have just changed from Kaspersky to
Bitdefender and the delays haven't abated

I trying Commodo at the moment, like you I tried disabling and there
was no difference.

I was at first blaming it on my ISP, but it cannot be if I can fix it
so easily with connection Repair.

Old February 12th 13, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Probably no connection, but I'll mention it anyway...

I'm sometimes getting an extremely long delay between clicking on 'All
Programs', or rather nothing appears but a large grey box where the
programs should be listed. I can't close it down, cannot do anything
for about 30 seconds though the mouse cursor still moves normally. When
it eventually does close of its own accord, I can click again on All
Programs and it shows up instantly.

Old February 12th 13, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Sounds like malware is hogging memory, or may be just that your PC is
under-specced for what you want it to do. Can you see any dodgy
processes when you run taskmgr.exe?

Old February 12th 13, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Harry Bloomfield considered Tue, 12
Feb 2013 15:37:24 GMT the perfect time to write:

[...]

If it's a DNS problem, then you probably need a DNS solution.
What DNS server are you using for name resolution?
And is that a "proper" one, or does it just forward anything it
doesn't know about to another one (instead of going via the root
hints)?

I know OpenDNS is stuffed at the moment, and has been since the 5th of
February at least, so I've switched back to using my ISPs name
resolution (which is slower, and doesn't have any facility for
filtering). Symptoms of the current OpenDNS problem include randomly
giving garbage results, which might match the problem you are seeing.

OpenDNS is on 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222, so if you have those
DNS servers anywhere in the resolver chain (either as DNS servers of
choice on the clients, or as forwarders in the list used by the DNS
server you do use), you may be suffering from their current state of
chaos.

It's a shame OpenDNS is so badly stuffed at the moment, as it's been a
good service for a long time.
Old February 12th 13, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Java Jive explained on 12/02/2013 :
Sounds like malware is hogging memory, or may be just that your PC is
under-specced for what you want it to do. Can you see any dodgy
processes when you run taskmgr.exe?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:01:05 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

No there were no unusual items running in task manager.

I've just run sfc /scannow on it, which found it needed to replace at
least one file and after a reboot all seems to be working well even the
All Programs.

Old February 12th 13, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:57:17 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Java Jive disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

Can you see any dodgy
processes when you run taskmgr.exe?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/ will be a good idea to
run too.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Old February 12th 13, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Phil W Lee expressed precisely :
If it's a DNS problem, then you probably need a DNS solution.
What DNS server are you using for name resolution?
And is that a "proper" one, or does it just forward anything it
doesn't know about to another one (instead of going via the root
hints)?

I originally found I had OpenDNS addresses set in the router and
Tiscali ones in my desktop's setting. Making them both the same seemed
to fix the problem, then the problem came back.

Old February 13th 13, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vic

[...]

What's your MTU set to ? If it's 1500, try 1492 and see if that helps. I had
that problem with similar symptoms to yours. It will be in your router/modem
settings.