Unlike some other providers, we will never slow you down

Old February 16th 13, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Park

Default Unlike some other providers, we will never slow you down

Received the above titled e-mail from BT this morning offering me Totally
Unlimited Broadband if I sign up with them, have they changed?
I could not get away fast enough years ago from with poor speeds and slowing
down in an evening.
Are they achieving this for new customers and is it a promise for new
customers only and what about the rest of you who complain about BT have
they improved?
Regards
David

Old February 16th 13, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Apellation Controlee

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:26:36 -0000, "David Park"
wrote:

Received the above titled e-mail from BT this morning offering me Totally
Unlimited Broadband if I sign up with them, have they changed?
I could not get away fast enough years ago from with poor speeds and slowing
down in an evening.
Are they achieving this for new customers and is it a promise for new
customers only and what about the rest of you who complain about BT have
they improved?

I couldn't give a flying one whether they've improved or not. They're
still not forgiven for moving me to the heavy user's number during
dial-up days, and will therefore remain on the **** list for ever.

The fact I was using an ISDN router, and therefore making and breaking
connection frequently, seemed to be invisible to them.
Old February 16th 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ted

*From:* "David Park"
*Date:* Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:26:36 -0000

Received the above titled e-mail from BT this morning offering me
Totally Unlimited Broadband if I sign up with them, have they changed?
I could not get away fast enough years ago from with poor speeds and
slowing down in an evening.
Are they achieving this for new customers and is it a promise for new
customers only and what about the rest of you who complain about BT
have they improved?
Regards
David

BT are still very much of the "Sorry, new customers only" mentality.
(Remember that annoying building society advert?)

The new offer looked good, but on investigating I found that not only would the
broadband part cost me 2 pounds a month more that it would a new customer for an
identical connection (why?), BUT also my normal phone landline rental would
actually INCREASE unless I paid a year in advance!

As a perspective new customer I got one set of prices from the BT website, but when
I looked at the prices for an existing customer upgrading, they were greater.

This is ignoring the "6 Months free" part which existing customer don't get, and
the fact that "free" does not mean free. You still have to pay the normal line
connection charges.

As it would also require a new 18 month contract, the perceived benefit of the new
offer very quickly evaporated (especially as my local exchange can only provide "up
to 8 meg" anyway).

Customer loyalty means nothing to BT.

Old February 16th 13, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
the dog from that film you saw

On 16/02/2013 08:26, David Park wrote:
Received the above titled e-mail from BT this morning offering me
Totally Unlimited Broadband if I sign up with them, have they changed?
I could not get away fast enough years ago from with poor speeds and
slowing down in an evening.
Are they achieving this for new customers and is it a promise for new
customers only and what about the rest of you who complain about BT have
they improved?
Regards
David

i'm sure i read on the reg that bt has abolished throttling.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old February 16th 13, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

*From:* "David Park"
*Date:* Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:26:36 -0000

[...]

It means nothing to Virgin either. I have been with them since I
was a beta tester in the old ntlworld dial-up days. I currently
have a 10Mb feed which will later this year (allegedly) go up to
20Mb, but if I am a new customer I will get 30Mb. The reason? My
modem will only handle 20Mb and to go to 30Mb I need a Superhub
which will require a 'new' 18 month contract, plus they will
charge me for the hub and for someone to come and fit it. I
wouldn't mind but there is so much contention on VM it can take
an age to change a page let alone download anything later than
about 08:00!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 16th 13, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tired

David Park wrote:
:: Received the above titled e-mail from BT this morning offering me
:: Totally Unlimited Broadband if I sign up with them, have they
:: changed?
:: I could not get away fast enough years ago from with poor speeds and
:: slowing down in an evening.
:: Are they achieving this for new customers and is it a promise for new
:: customers only and what about the rest of you who complain about BT
:: have they improved?
:: Regards
:: David

It's a shame their domestic service is awful.

Old February 17th 13, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 16/02/2013 18:34, Woody wrote:

It means nothing to Virgin either. I have been with them since I
was a beta tester in the old ntlworld dial-up days. I currently
have a 10Mb feed which will later this year (allegedly) go up to
20Mb, but if I am a new customer I will get 30Mb. The reason? My
modem will only handle 20Mb and to go to 30Mb I need a Superhub
which will require a 'new' 18 month contract, plus they will
charge me for the hub and for someone to come and fit it. I
wouldn't mind but there is so much contention on VM it can take
an age to change a page let alone download anything later than
about 08:00!

Do you have BT FTTC available? My Virgin cable used to be congested so I
got FTTC with IDNET as soon as it came out. I kept my Virgin broadband
too, a few months later contention pretty much disappeared from Virgin
and it has outperformed my IDNET FTTC connection in terms of connection
quality checks for over a year. So now I have dropped the FTTC.
Competition seems to work wonders ;o)

Old February 17th 13, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Nick" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

No, we don't live in the Harrogate town or wealthy Oatlands
exchange. Samknows says FTTC is due this year but swine have been
known to form aerial formations?

Old February 17th 13, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Woody
writes

*From:* "David Park"
*Date:* Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:26:36 -0000

[...]

Meant nothing to my old ISP Demon, who I'd been with for about 15years
or more. Charging me 25 per month 'til I asked for a MAC code then it
suddenly dropped to 10. So I went to BT Infinity on a "new customer"
deal for 18 mths. Been OK so far except it took 9 months and a complaint
to OFCOM to get my free McAfee (maybe that's a plus). Still I got a
couple of months rental rebate so that all comes off the total cost.
When the 18 months is up I shall look for a good deal elsewhere.
Customer loyalty as a concept is long dead in the world of ISPs and
mobile phones.
--
bert
Old February 17th 13, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 17/02/2013 21:13, bert wrote:
In message , Woody
writes

*From:* "David Park"
*Date:* Sat, 16 Feb 2013 08:26:36 -0000

[...]

Lethargy is the only thing that keeps customers "loyal" - e.g. "I can't
be arsed to switch, 'cos it might take up some of my valuable time which
I could best be using on Twitter, tellin' the world wot I just had for
breakfast, etc...
;-)

George