Stop, stop, stop, hardly go with Three dongle

Old February 19th 13, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Stop, stop, stop, hardly go with Three dongle

Just recently at home (top floor flat in tall block) I've noticed that
during the day I get 5 bars, but at night, say at 3.00 am, I only get
three (or less).

However the big irritation right now is that for the last few months
and for most of the day and night I get a steady dark blue light on
the dongle which means that it is basically disconnected (although the
Three 'dashboard' continues to show that it should be connected).

Then when I click on a link, the link times out, with a 404 page not
found even for something generic as www.yahoo.com I try and refresh
the page and again the blue light remains steady and then times out
with a 404. This is repeatable - too many times.

Then after about 5 minutes say the light on the dongle turns to light
blue and eventually the page I want displays. But then as I read it
the light goes back to dark blue and I have to wait an age for the

This makes browsing or surfing a tad tedious, nay impossible. In fact
I get a new page about once every 5 minutes which is hardly broadband
speed. Indeed it is just like I used to get from a modem on an
analogue BT line in the early days of the Internet.

The situation is dire during the mornings, but also it is bad late at
night. Is this an indication that Three is becoming saturated with
users and their network over-loaded?

Thanks - CJB.

Old February 19th 13, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:44:50 -0800 (PST), CJB
wrote:

[...]

Heavy hand upon my collar throws me in the street.

Sounds like par for the course, as experienced by a lot of mobile
so-called "broadband", including my own.

I expect your dongle is connecting to various BTS sites, some of them
perhaps are just GPRS.

Do you rely on mobile Internet even when at home?
Old February 20th 13, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

wrote:

[...]

Yes - because I ditched BT and landlines years ago - thank God.

I see Three are advertising an ultra-fast dongle broadband service. I
might raise this with the ASA - because my 'ultra' service is really
ultra slow. It used to fly up until last year. Now its the pits.

CJB.
Old February 20th 13, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

Two things suggest themselves he -

1. Config in your PC - it [unnecessarily] drops the link when it thinks it
is finished with it for now (my phone does this, although without the side
effects you mention).

2. Poor position for dongle. Try using on the end of 1m or 2m USB extension
cable.

Old February 21st 13, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 20/02/2013 18:18, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

or

3. one or more people in your vicinity have also got themselves 3G
dongles and are saturating your cell.

This is the main downside for 3G 'broadband' it's far too easy to
saturate in densely populated areas, i.e. in a block of flats.

Old February 21st 13, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

Two things suggest themselves he -

1. Config in your PC - it [unnecessarily] drops the link when it
thinks it
is finished with it for now (my phone does this, although without the
side
effects you mention).

2. Poor position for dongle. Try using on the end of 1m or 2m USB
extension
cable.

or

3. one or more people in your vicinity have also got themselves 3G
dongles and are saturating your cell.

This is the main downside for 3G 'broadband' it's far too easy to
saturate in densely populated areas, i.e. in a block of flats.

It's a fundamental limitation of any radio system, particularly one
originally designed for about 12kbits/sec to carry one heavily
compressed voice channel. If you want megabits/sec then you are going
to have to share the spectrum (and backhaul) with all the other punters
on that cell.

At least with a copper pair you get the full bandwidth from you to the
exchange (possible not very much, depends on you distance from the
exchange); after that it depends on the service provider. Also,
reliability and customer service depends on the provider.

So go back to a landline supplier; there are good ones out there, and
although they are definitely more expensive than the heaviliy advertised
rubbish you will get better performance and and probably pay less than
you are currently paying for the 3G dongle.

I can't imagine how they cope in 3rd world countries where there are no
landlines and everybody has to use mobiles!

--
Graham J

Old February 21st 13, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 04:02:17 -0800 (PST), CJB
wrote:

On Feb 19, 9:44*pm, Graham. wrote:

Do you rely on mobile Internet even when at home?

Yes - because I ditched BT and landlines years ago - thank God.

I use a landline at home because it is inexpensive and works very
well. I have a mobile as well but usually forget it as I don't want to
be contacted when I'm out.

Steve

Old February 22nd 13, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Graham J [email protected] considered Thu, 21 Feb 2013 14:41:07 +0000
the perfect time to write:

[snip]

[...]

When I set up a network in Namibia, the telco guaranteed installation
of a fixed isdn line within 48 hours, anywhere in the country,
regardless of the existence (or more likely not) of any existing
cabling.

The further it is from existing cables, the more people they hire to
string new ones, and beyond a certain distance (probably just less
than the most they can cable in 2 days) you get a directional wireless
link instead.

Now, that was in the days when 128kbit isdn was advanced, and I've no
idea what higher bandwidth demands have done to their network, but
given that telephone poles have to be elephant proofed, overhead cable
runs tend to be short, and you don't need to be far off the fixed
cabling to get a fixed wireless link, and what's the bandwidth limit
on that?

I was very impressed.
They mostly skipped the analogue stage of telephony, which is now
yielding benefits.
Old February 22nd 13, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[...]

I've read elsewehre that other 3rd world contires jut use mobiles. How
is the cable infrastructure in Namibia funded?

There was a company in Cambridge (Ionica?) that sold directional
wireless links but they didn't survive. In rural Britain this would be
an ideal solution...

--
Graham J

Old February 23rd 13, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Graham J [email protected] considered Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:00:22 +0000
the perfect time to write:

[...]

Like most things in Namibia - it's subsidised by tax income from
diamond mining (although I believe that only really applies to central
infrastructure, not local loops).
The other thing is that unskilled labour is (or was at the time - this
was a while back) very inexpensive, so if you needed more telephone
poles you just hired more telephone pole erectors (along with people
to elephant-proof them by laying jagged boulders in a solid circle for
3 metres around each pole - elephants won't walk on jagged boulders,
even for a good scratching post).

There was a company in Cambridge (Ionica?) that sold directional
wireless links but they didn't survive. In rural Britain this would be
an ideal solution...

Not ideal enough to survive though, against BTs monopoly.