Phone or Tablet

Old February 28th 13, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

Default Phone or Tablet

So I'm thinking about a tablet or a smartphone, probably for data more
than calls, and I notice what seems to me to be this weird pricing setup:

7 inch tablet, WiFi + 3g, GBP 235, available with a monthly contract of
GBP 15 / 10 Gb of data.

4 inch mobile phone, GBP 0, WiFi + 3G, 24 months contract at GBP 26 / 2Gb
of data.

Carphone Warehouse website, I may not be comparing the cheapest
combinations of tablet or phone + data, it gets confusing looking at all
the tariffs ... but unless I start downloading huge amounts of data while
out and about I can't see me exceeding 10Gb - and anything I want to put
on the tablet at home will be done across my home adsl / wifi.

Tablet seems to have more screen real estate, and much cheaper data given
the horrendous "excess" charges that get added on phone contracts if you
go over your data limit.

Granted the phone has a large amount of calls and texts bundled, but at
the moment I churn through less than GBP 5.00 of calls and texts on my
Asda prepaid mobile every year.

So - why on earth would I ever want a smartphone?
--
Denis McMahon,
Old February 28th 13, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Denis McMahon wrote:

So - why on earth would I ever want a smartphone?

Depends if all your pockets are poacher sized, or if you object to
looking like you're talking into a skateboard when making calls.

Old February 28th 13, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bertrand Zidler

Andy Burns wrote:

Denis McMahon wrote:

So - why on earth would I ever want a smartphone?

Depends if all your pockets are poacher sized, or if you object
to looking like you're talking into a skateboard when making
calls.

You are right : they should add wheels to tablets

Old February 28th 13, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Bertrand Zidler wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Denis McMahon wrote:

So - why on earth would I ever want a smartphone?

Depends if all your pockets are poacher sized, or if you object
to looking like you're talking into a skateboard when making
calls.

You are right : they should add wheels to tablets

Horses for courses. A tablet that is also a phone makes a whole lot
more sense for me, nearly all of my travel is on a motorbike so a 'hand
held' phone is completely pointless. A tablet is also much more
practical as my eyes get older.

This is only a recent update for me, I've just bought a Samsung Tab 2
7.0" for my wife and I really, really like it.

....oh, and I make very few phone calls from my mobile, like two or
three a month.

--
Chris Green
Old February 28th 13, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 02:10:16 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
wrote:

So - why on earth would I ever want a smartphone?

I've often wondered too. My 3 year old Orange Rio cost me
some 30 and does all I ever need to do. )

--

:: Jim ::

I survived Thatcher )
Old March 1st 13, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Denis McMahon
writes
[...]

When I was looking for a new phone I came to the conclusion that tariffs
are deliberately designed to be confusing so that you eventually give up
and just sign. Virgin were advising we that if I used my phone mainly
for calls then the supposedly pro-texting tariff was actually the best
bet. I asked three times for clarification on one aspect and never got a
straight answer.

I eventually bought a cheap smartphone - Alcatel 938 with Android
Gingerbread and a simm only deal from Orange at 8 per month. It's OK at
that price but I certainly wouldn't spend 500+ for the privilege of an
i-phone.
--
bert