Migrating broadband and phone rental together ?

Old March 2nd 13, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Migrating broadband and phone rental together ?

Yesterday came the dreaded news that BE are going to be sold to the
Murdoch empire, so I have a few months before I need to migrate to a new
ISP.

Not only is my broadband with BE, but so is my phone rental (BE use
WLR3). And, if possible, I'd like to move broadband and phone rental to
my new ISP.

I've just read a horrid tale on the BE Forum from someone trying to do
just that. A BE customer had ordered service from a new ISP (the name of
which I won't mention here, but it's a well known name), who said that
the broadband would be migrated first in ~2 weeks, and the telephone
migrated a few weeks after that. Only that won't work because BE don't
allow you to have just the phone service, you can only have phone service
if you have broadband with them.
His new ISP said that they couldn't have 2 simultaneous orders on a line
(so they can't move the phone and broadband on the same day), and that
they couldn't move the phone service first.
So what he's had to do is accept a new telephone number, and that can be
done at the same time as the broadband move.

As a family, we've had the same phone number here for over 50 years, and
I don't think a new phone number is an acceptable solution for the
problem of migrating broadband and phone to a new ISP. So I'm wondering
if the above description is right or not. Does anyone have any
experience of migrating broadband and phone to a new ISP ?

I guess there's always the option of migrating the phone service back to
BT Retail before migrating the broadband, but that's not my optimum
solution.
Old March 2nd 13, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 18:00:42 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

[...]

I know how you feel, although I have lived here "only" 34 years I have
evidence to suggest that this house had the same telephone number for
about 70 years in total.

You perhaps should think about temporarily moving the *number* and not
the *line*, as the latter will be complicated by minimum contract
period and line rental issues.

With your dilemma, I would be looking to port my number out to VoIP.
Sipgate.co.uk do it for a flat fee of 20. Either just as a
placeholder or as a permanent solution. That would be definitely
possible with a BT line, but with a WLR supplier like BE? I am not
sure, does anyone know?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 2nd 13, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Andrew Benham formulated on Saturday :
Not only is my broadband with BE, but so is my phone rental (BE use
WLR3). And, if possible, I'd like to move broadband and phone rental to
my new ISP.

There should be nothing to prevent a competent supplier from doing
this.

Take a look at this:

http://www.offta.org.uk/IndustryBes%...ersJan2011.pdf

....in particular page 5 and 6.

Old March 2nd 13, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that Graham. formulated :

You perhaps should think about temporarily moving the *number* and not
the *line*, as the latter will be complicated by minimum contract
period and line rental issues.

With your dilemma, I would be looking to port my number out to VoIP.
Sipgate.co.uk do it for a flat fee of 20. Either just as a
placeholder or as a permanent solution. That would be definitely
possible with a BT line, but with a WLR supplier like BE? I am not
sure, does anyone know?

The above relies entirely on the OP having a new line installed
beforehand with broadband on....as soon as the port goes through he
would lose his original line and broadband too.

And yes, you can export numbers from Wholesale Line Rental
lines....though I wouldn't suggest it in this case.

Old March 2nd 13, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

I guess there's always the option of migrating the phone service back to
BT Retail before migrating the broadband, but that's not my optimum
solution.

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but on a related and relevant matter my
mother-in-law is likely to be moving home, into a brand new retirement flat
this summer.

She's currently with Plusnet for Broadband, and BT for the phone service.

Bearing in mind the new place will require a new line installation charge,
I was thinking she might be better off moving her phone service to PN ahead of
the move, and then when the move comes, that might enable continuity of
both services, (and retention of her existing number). I helped her compose
the following question to Plusnet.

I'm currently on your broadband service, and using BT for my telephone service.

In August I hope to be moving house.

I'd like the broadband and phone service to switch over and be active the same
day at the new house.

The new house, is a new build, so there will be a new line install charge.

I'm considering moving to your phone service before I move, in order to
simplify the process. I'm moving within the same exchange area so I'd like to
retain my existing phone number.

What would the new line install charge (with number being transferred over),
be with you. ?

How would any contract period be affected by the move, if I moved to your
phone service before the move ?

Best Regards
*******

I was dismayed, the Plusnet rep didn't really answer all the questions, and
certainly didn't read the main question properly

Here's his answer:-

Dear Mrs ******,
Thank you for getting back to us.

It is likely that you will require a new line installation with the property
being a new build which will cost 49.99. After this time we will place orders
to activate your home phone service which will depend on engineer
availability. After this has completed, broadband orders will be places which
will taken 5-7 working day to complete.

We can attempt to retain your current phone number but this cannot be
guaranteed due to other constraints and scenarios.

To discuss this matter further please speak to our house moves department on
0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 with your the new address handy so we can
verify a new line install will be required.

For further information online please visit
http://www.plus.net/support/customer...ng_guide.shtml

Kind regards,
********

I got her to respond with this:-

OK, I see, and that gap in service, and risk of losing my present phone number
would still be the case, even if I moved to your phone service, in advance of
the house move ?

------------

Still waiting for an answer on that !

--
Mark
Old March 2nd 13, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Am I missing something here? Couldn't the phone service be moved
somewhere else - say BT - retaining the number, but keeping Be
broadband, then when the line is active move the broadband to the
new supplier.

Unless you make bucket loads of mobile calls the BT Option 3 is
actually a good deal - all line + 0845 and 0870 calls are free up
to 60 mins at all times and no connection charges. You can then
use (say) PlusNet as your B/B provider and when your minimum
contract is up with BT move your phone to PN as well?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 2nd 13, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 02/03/13 20:09, Mark Carver wrote:

I guess there's always the option of migrating the phone service back
to BT Retail before migrating the broadband, but that's not my optimum
solution.

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but on a related and relevant matter
my mother-in-law is likely to be moving home, into a brand new
retirement flat this summer.

She's currently with Plusnet for Broadband, and BT for the phone service.

Bearing in mind the new place will require a new line installation charge,
I was thinking she might be better off moving her phone service to PN
ahead of the move, and then when the move comes, that might enable
continuity of
both services, (and retention of her existing number). I helped her
compose the following question to Plusnet.

A neighbour had the same problem. Only by keeping her phone with BT was
she able to keep the number.

Then once she had done the move, she dumped BT.

It might be possible to move the number to voip and back when in the new
premises.

Changing providers and keeping the same number on the line is trivial.

Changing houses and keeping the same number is NOT.

Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 2nd 13, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 20:25:42 +0000, Woody wrote:

Am I missing something here? Couldn't the phone service be moved
somewhere else - say BT - retaining the number, but keeping Be
broadband, then when the line is active move the broadband to the new
supplier.

Possibly, but if I move the phone service back to BT then I have to stay
with them for 12 months - or AIUI pay 5 for each month left to leave
early.
Old March 3rd 13, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 19:01:07 GMT, Jono
wrote:

It happens that Graham. formulated :

You perhaps should think about temporarily moving the *number* and not
the *line*, as the latter will be complicated by minimum contract
period and line rental issues.

With your dilemma, I would be looking to port my number out to VoIP.
Sipgate.co.uk do it for a flat fee of 20. Either just as a
placeholder or as a permanent solution. That would be definitely
possible with a BT line, but with a WLR supplier like BE? I am not
sure, does anyone know?

The above relies entirely on the OP having a new line installed
beforehand with broadband on....as soon as the port goes through he
would lose his original line and broadband too.

That is what I envisage. The line will cease, and he could take his
incoming calls on a SIP client on a smartphone, or divert them to his
mobile number
Likewise, 3G modem for Internet until the new phone service is
provisioned.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 3rd 13, 06:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

After serious thinking Andrew Benham wrote :
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 20:25:42 +0000, Woody wrote:

Am I missing something here? Couldn't the phone service be moved
somewhere else - say BT - retaining the number, but keeping Be
broadband, then when the line is active move the broadband to the new
supplier.

Possibly, but if I move the phone service back to BT then I have to stay
with them for 12 months - or AIUI pay 5 for each month left to leave
early.

Erm, assuming your chosen supplier is the one that has (possibly
mistakenly) advised you that they can't do both at the same time, why
not move your line rental to them first, then do the broadband
migration afterwards?