Line stats

Old March 4th 13, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cullen Skink

Default Line stats

Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

TIA
Old March 4th 13, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 04/03/2013 16:16, Cullen Skink wrote:
Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

TIA

At a loose guess, 5,888kbps download and 448 upload.

What? That's not what you meant? True throughput should be about a
tenth of that (because of protocol overheads, and because throughput is
measured in bytes not bits). Someone else will be along in a bit to
explain those errors, which look nasty to me. What kind of router is it?

Andy
Old March 4th 13, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:16:24 +0000, Cullen Skink
wrote:

Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

Over what period of time were these stats collected?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old March 4th 13, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 16:23:26 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 04/03/2013 16:16, Cullen Skink wrote:
Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

TIA

At a loose guess, 5,888kbps download and 448 upload.

What? That's not what you meant? True throughput should be about a
tenth of that (because of protocol overheads, and because throughput is
measured in bytes not bits). Someone else will be along in a bit to
explain those errors, which look nasty to me. What kind of router is it?

FEC errors are not as serious as the others since they can corrected
without retransmission. CRC & HEC errors require the packet to be
retransmitted so will slow things down. I would guess something is
not right but it's hard to tell without more information.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old March 4th 13, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 04/03/13 16:16, Cullen Skink wrote:
Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

TIA

about 4500 down 376 up

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 4th 13, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 04/03/13 16:23, Andy Champ wrote:
On 04/03/2013 16:16, Cullen Skink wrote:
Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

TIA

At a loose guess, 5,888kbps download and 448 upload.

What? That's not what you meant? True throughput should be about a
tenth of that (because of protocol overheads,

Er no, a tenth *less* than that...

and because throughput is
measured in bytes not bits).

Then divide by 8 if throughput WAS in bytes not bits, but most speed
checkers will give it in bits.

Old March 4th 13, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

what is amazing that he is still operation on a 4.7dB noise margin with
that error rate.

I'd expect that to stabilise in due course at 7dB and about 5000 down or
less. with a BRAS around 4000-4500

Old March 4th 13, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 04/03/13 16:23, Andy Champ wrote:
On 04/03/2013 16:16, Cullen Skink wrote:
Could someone have a look at these line stats and suggest what sort of
broadband speed I should be getting?

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,888
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 4.7
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 4,600,248
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 525
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -5 / 525 / 8,743

TIA

At a loose guess, 5,888kbps download and 448 upload.

What? That's not what you meant? True throughput should be about a
tenth of that (because of protocol overheads,

Er no, a tenth *less* than that...

and because throughput is
measured in bytes not bits).

Then divide by 8 if throughput WAS in bytes not bits, but most speed
checkers will give it in bits.

So all in about a tenth of the original figure ;o)

I didn't like the way he said it but it did make sense.

Old March 4th 13, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

[...]

The important information with regard to the error counts is the number
of CRC errors in proportion to the total number of packets. Most
routers will separate these into figures for send and receive.

For example I'm looking at a Vigor 2820 which shows 128573 TX cells and
zero TX CRC errors, but 114107 RX cells with 19160 RX CRC errors. What
this means is that the receive error rate is nearly 17%. On the face of
it this looks very bad, but the RX CRC count can remain static for many
hours, then increase quite rapidly over a few minutes. This site is
adjacent to a car repair workshop, and I think they use an electric welder!

By contrast, at a more electrically quiet site the receive error rate is
down at about 0.01%

So it would be worth resetting the router and capturing the packet
counts and error rates at regular intervals.

If the errors increase in bursts then most of the time the download rate
should be the expected 84% of the sync rate - see:

http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/03/adsl-overhead.html

However, the download rate is affected by the backhaul capacity of your
ISP, so time of day might also have an effect.

Tell us more ...!

--
Graham J

Old March 4th 13, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 04/03/13 17:22, Nick wrote:
[...]

ONLY if you are measuring download/upload speed in bytes/sec. Very few
people do.

Some file transfer software reports it that way, but most speed checkers
and spec. sheets talk bits per second raw and/or net.

So it was misleading and irrelevant.

I have 100Mbps Ethernet. Not 12.5MBytes/sec Ethernet.
I have an up to 8 Mbps ADSL service, not an up to 1Mbytes/sec service.

My Broadband Speed gives it in Kbps with bytes only added as an after
thought..

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

Today 17:43 5280 kbps (660kB/s) 376 kbps (47kB/s)