Probably OT but somebody migh know about PO3 errors ...

Old March 6th 13, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Probably OT but somebody migh know about PO3 errors ...

SBS2008 with POP3 connector.

System has usual 10 Mbyte maximum email message size implemented.

POP3 connector reports that there are three messages to big to be
downloaded, so they have been left on the mailserver.

So I log on to the mailserver (hosted by Memset) find the three messages
and delete them. I then select the "Purge Deleted" option, and webmail
confirms that there are no messages present.

Yet SBS2008 POP3 connector continues to report that there are three
messages too big to be downloaded!! Assuming some sort of background
flushing process, I've left it 12 hours, but the POP3 connector log
shows the same errors.

I've also rebooted the SBS2008 server - no better.

Memset technical support doesn't understand why this is happening.

Anybody any ideas?

TIA

--
Graham J

Old March 7th 13, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 21:54:16 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

SBS2008 with POP3 connector.

System has usual 10 Mbyte maximum email message size implemented.

POP3 connector reports that there are three messages to big to be
downloaded, so they have been left on the mailserver.

So I log on to the mailserver (hosted by Memset) find the three messages
and delete them. I then select the "Purge Deleted" option, and webmail
confirms that there are no messages present.

Yet SBS2008 POP3 connector continues to report that there are three
messages too big to be downloaded!! Assuming some sort of background
flushing process, I've left it 12 hours, but the POP3 connector log
shows the same errors.

I've also rebooted the SBS2008 server - no better.

Memset technical support doesn't understand why this is happening.

Anybody any ideas?

TIA

Telnet in to the server and issue LIST and DELE commands?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 7th 13, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 23:08:15 +0000, Graham. wrote:

[...]

But make sure that you use the QUIT command to disconnect afterwards.

(I'm wondering if the client is simply out of step with the server; the
LIST command should reveal that)

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post
Old March 7th 13, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 06/03/13 23:08, Graham. wrote:
[...]

I had assumed that that is what he HAD done

"So I log on to the mailserver (hosted by Memset) find the three
messages and delete them. I then select the "Purge Deleted" option, and
webmail confirms that there are no messages present."

Or are you thinking that the webmail interface is buggered..?

Anyway to the OP if you haven't done it the commands are somewhat like this

telnet yourpopserver.co.uk 110
OK
USER yourusername
OK
Pass yourpassword
OK
LIST
1
2
3
DELE 1
OK
DELE 2
OK
DELE 3
OK
quit

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 7th 13, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 06/03/13 23:28, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I have seen cases where webmail interfaces don't update the server always..

Old March 7th 13, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[snip]

Telnet in to the server and issue LIST and DELE commands?

I had assumed that that is what he HAD done

"So I log on to the mailserver (hosted by Memset) find the three
messages and delete them. I then select the "Purge Deleted" option, and
webmail confirms that there are no messages present."

Thanks. Obviously I had not been clear enough. I had logged in using
webmail.

I will try the Telnet mechanism.

--
Graham J

Old March 8th 13, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

Graham J [email protected] wrote:

SBS2008 with POP3 connector.

System has usual 10 Mbyte maximum email message size implemented.

Not an answer to your problem but note that if you want to increase that
limit you need to do so in three places in Exchange Server - you need to
increase the size of message that can be collected, the size that can be
transmitted within Exchange server, and the size that the target mailbox
can accept! The smallest of the three is the bottleneck so set them all to
the same value.

Most bizarrely of all, to increase the size of message you can collect via
POP3 you must increase the maximum fax size you can receive (even if you
don't receive faxes using the server). The reason is that the POP3 gizmo is
an afterthought that was bolted onto the fax module.

This is why normal Windows users typically run away screaming when they
naively decide to have a go at configuring Windows Server.

Old March 8th 13, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Gordon Freeman wrote:
[...]

I'm aware of that ...

Actually I did change the server to have a 20 Mbyte mail size limit (and
it was a real pain to do!), but the stuck messages are 25 and 35 Mbytes
..... So I don't want to do it again.

However, the Telnet technique (thanks to The Natural Philosopher)
resolved the problem. Clearly showed the messages were still there, and
allowed me to delete them. Work of a moment.

Thanks.

--
Graham J

Old March 8th 13, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:29:46 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Gordon Freeman wrote:
[...]

That's the problem with a web client that is badly implemented. As I
suggested, it got out of sync with what was actually happening on the
server. Silly, because if it just took the trouble to do a LIST command
when connecting each time, it could always be in sync. I would imagine
that the sequence was:

- client uses LIST and HEAD to get details and headers of messages, and
displays them.
- client downloads messages using RETR
- client issues a DELE for each message, and marks the messages *locally*
as deleted on the server
- something goes wrong before the client issues a QUIT. Since it's the
QUIT that actually commits the deletions, the messages remain on the
server.
- client swears blind that the messages have gone!

All it needs is a simple check each time, although not perhaps trivial.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post