Internet connection over existing dark fibre?

Old March 7th 13, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Internet connection over existing dark fibre?

Client has taken over empty factory premises in rural Norfolk.

The previous tenant had fibre laid into the premises for a leased line
to a head office, and internet connectivity. This is no longer
opeational but the fibre termination is still present.

Our client wants a good reliable internet connection for a startup
business.

So my qestion is: how can he make use of this existing fibre to achieve
this?

--
Graham J
Old March 7th 13, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 07/03/13 17:27, Graham J wrote:
Client has taken over empty factory premises in rural Norfolk.

The previous tenant had fibre laid into the premises for a leased line
to a head office, and internet connectivity. This is no longer
opeational but the fibre termination is still present.

Our client wants a good reliable internet connection for a startup
business.

So my qestion is: how can he make use of this existing fibre to achieve
this?

yes, but it comes dear. IIRC a 10Mbps line is upwards of 7k a year.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 7th 13, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

Our client wants a good reliable internet connection for a startup
business.

How much money have they got? Ethernet-based services are pretty pricey.
FTTP-on-demand is being rolled out to more places, and TBH the trial period
will probably be over before you even get BT out for a site survey!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5...-be-available-
from-18th-march.html

So my qestion is: how can he make use of this existing fibre to achieve
this?

There's no guarantee you can. Somebody I know in exactly the same situation
ended up with EFM, as BT wanted thousands even though there was already
fibre there. For all I know, BT may be in the habit of cutting the fibre and
moving it if they need space in the relevant ducts.

The NTE should have some kind of circuit number on it or other identifying
marks [eg Adva NTEs that BT install have a part number with 'BT' or 'OR' in
it], this should give you an idea as to who the service provider is/was.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:16:47 up 80 days, 21:49, 8 users, load average: 0.99, 1.19, 1.22

Old March 7th 13, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

alexd wrote:
Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

[...]

BT techicicans actually installed the fibre - we saw them dig up the
road to put in the duct - over 2 miles of it.

The previous tenant bought the service from Verizon - I will give them a
call tomorrow ...

--
Graham J

Old March 7th 13, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 07/03/13 19:34, Graham J wrote:
alexd wrote:
Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

[...]

Look I've done a lot of fibre installs for leased line. It doesn't
matter who installed the fibre or who the contract is with. What you
have is fibre to the exchange and, for a smaller fee than digging the
road, BT will supply a tail data circuit via any reseller you care to
name. The reseller will then arrange backhaul and termination kit at his
end, and you will probably need a small CISCO on the end of the fibre.

But the COST of a 10Mbps zero contention circuit to the internet is
thousands, not hundreds a year.

You are buying not just access to the fibre, but uncontested backhaul to
the ISP. Plus the potential to smash his peering bandwith.

Try IDNET or another one of the better independents, but that is the
sorts of cost you will be looking at.

Old March 7th 13, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Look I've done a lot of fibre installs for leased line. It doesn't
matter who installed the fibre or who the contract is with. What you
have is fibre to the exchange

Yeah, right. Just try buying service from a BT reseller if the fibre was put
in by Virgin.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:58:53 up 80 days, 23:31, 8 users, load average: 1.60, 1.47, 1.26

Old March 7th 13, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 07/03/13 21:45, alexd wrote:
The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Look I've done a lot of fibre installs for leased line. It doesn't
matter who installed the fibre or who the contract is with. What you
have is fibre to the exchange

Yeah, right. Just try buying service from a BT reseller if the fibre was put
in by Virgin.

I think you will find it is also possible.

I certainly had Xara coming in over Cambridge Cable fibre.

CC provided the connection to the ISP: they did all the IP level stuff.

It makes it more complicated but its still doable.

Old March 7th 13, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
But the COST of a 10Mbps zero contention circuit to the internet is
thousands, not hundreds a year.

You are buying not just access to the fibre, but uncontested backhaul to
the ISP. Plus the potential to smash his peering bandwith.

JOOI, can you say 'give me 8Mbps contended ADSL just like everyone else, but
run it over this fibre not that bit of wet string'? I suppose this doesn't
fall into a neat product category - but would an independent (LLU?) do it?

Theo
Old March 8th 13, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Theo Markettos considered 07 Mar
2013 23:39:31 +0000 (GMT) the perfect time to write:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
But the COST of a 10Mbps zero contention circuit to the internet is
thousands, not hundreds a year.

You are buying not just access to the fibre, but uncontested backhaul to
the ISP. Plus the potential to smash his peering bandwith.

JOOI, can you say 'give me 8Mbps contended ADSL just like everyone else, but
run it over this fibre not that bit of wet string'? I suppose this doesn't
fall into a neat product category - but would an independent (LLU?) do it?

That probably depends more on how closely related you are to some
member of the senior management in the ISP concerned than anything
which appears in their normal terms and conditions of service.
Old March 9th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Theo Markettos (for it is he) wrote:

JOOI, can you say 'give me 8Mbps contended ADSL just like everyone else,
but run it over this fibre not that bit of wet string'? I suppose this
doesn't fall into a neat product category - but would an independent
(LLU?) do it?

If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could sell a product with the same
throughput profile as ADSL, delivered on fibre - but what's the point? The
fibre bearer is either going to be 10, 100 or 1000Mbps, the cost of
delivering fibre to a site is the civils/infrastructure work etc required to
do so, not so much the bandwidth.

What makes ADSL a popular product is the fact it's a cheap hack to get data
down a long twisted pair, not the fact that it's contended and can run at 8M
down/1M up!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
11:20:51 up 82 days, 13:53, 8 users, load average: 1.60, 1.49, 1.24