Some IPs (websites) not accessible over Vodafone

Old March 8th 13, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Some IPs (websites) not accessible over Vodafone

Might be more applicable here too...

I have a long standing issue (months) whereby a given website, running
on a fixed IP from a server on ADSL, cannot be accesed with a phone
with a Vodafone SIM.

It is the same on GPRS OR 3G.

Voda said over-18 content was blocked (I had unblocked it ages ago
because it stops VPNs etc working, due to f**k etc appearing by chance
in encrypted data) but they unblocked it anyway.

Then they got me to disable 3G, forcing GPRS/EDGE. Same result.

All other websites on same IP don't work either. Not even little ones
which download only ~1k.

I have been a fair way down the Voda script monkey route...

Last thing they said was that that IP was on some blocked list, but
could not give details. They will try to unblock it...

What is going on?

This used to work for years, works with every other cell network, and
used to work on Voda till about 2 months ago.

Old March 8th 13, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Peter formulated on Friday :

What is going on?

This used to work for years, works with every other cell network, and
used to work on Voda till about 2 months ago.

Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Old March 8th 13, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Jono wrote

Peter formulated on Friday :

What is going on?

This used to work for years, works with every other cell network, and
used to work on Voda till about 2 months ago.

Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Not publicly (would email it to you) but it belongs to A&A.

I have also just discovered that HTTP fails while POP (email retrieval
from a server on the same server) works!

I have just checked that the www server and email server IP is the
same.

So I guess it is indeed a HTTP (website) blocking issue.
Old March 9th 13, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Apellation Controlee

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:57:39 +0000, Peter
wrote:

Jono wrote

Peter formulated on Friday :

What is going on?

This used to work for years, works with every other cell network, and
used to work on Voda till about 2 months ago.

Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Not publicly (would email it to you) but it belongs to A&A.

I have also just discovered that HTTP fails while POP (email retrieval
from a server on the same server) works!

I have just checked that the www server and email server IP is the
same.

So I guess it is indeed a HTTP (website) blocking issue.

Is it possible that the IP address is used by more than one web site?

If so, it may be the content on one of the co-lo sites that's caused
the issue.
Old March 9th 13, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roland Perry

In message , at 20:57:39 on
Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Peter remarked:
Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Not publicly (would email it to you) but it belongs to A&A.

I have also just discovered that HTTP fails while POP (email retrieval
from a server on the same server) works!

I have just checked that the www server and email server IP is the
same.

So I guess it is indeed a HTTP (website) blocking issue.

Does the IP address point to a single website, or is it a form of shared
hosting? If the latter then the most likely thing is that one of the
other websites on that IP address is the intended target of the
blocking. Why not raise a ticket with A&A, it's the sort of issue they
could easily be interested in.
--
Roland Perry
Old March 9th 13, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that Roland Perry formulated :
In message , at 20:57:39 on Fri,
8 Mar 2013, Peter remarked:
Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Not publicly (would email it to you) but it belongs to A&A.

I have also just discovered that HTTP fails while POP (email retrieval
from a server on the same server) works!

I have just checked that the www server and email server IP is the
same.

So I guess it is indeed a HTTP (website) blocking issue.

Does the IP address point to a single website, or is it a form of shared
hosting? If the latter then the most likely thing is that one of the other
websites on that IP address is the intended target of the blocking. Why not
raise a ticket with A&A, it's the sort of issue they could easily be
interested in.

I guess this "I have a long standing issue (months) whereby a given
website, running on a fixed IP from a server on ADSL, cannot be accesed
with a phone with a Vodafone SIM" means it's not a shared host.

Old March 9th 13, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

After serious thinking Peter wrote :
Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Not publicly (would email it to you) but it belongs to A&A.

What's you're email address?

Old March 9th 13, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roland Perry

In message , at 08:18:17
on Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Jono remarked:
Does the IP address point to a single website, or is it a form of
shared hosting? If the latter then the most likely thing is that one
of the other websites on that IP address is the intended target of
the blocking. Why not raise a ticket with A&A, it's the sort of issue
they could easily be interested in.

I guess this "I have a long standing issue (months) whereby a given
website, running on a fixed IP from a server on ADSL, cannot be accesed
with a phone with a Vodafone SIM" means it's not a shared host.

If you can (and people do) run one website at the end of an ADSL line,
it's just as possible to run several.
--
Roland Perry
Old March 9th 13, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Roland Perry wrote

In message , at 20:57:39 on
Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Peter remarked:
Is it an IP you don't want to share? I have a voda SIM here which I
could try...?

Not publicly (would email it to you) but it belongs to A&A.

I have also just discovered that HTTP fails while POP (email retrieval
from a server on the same server) works!

I have just checked that the www server and email server IP is the
same.

So I guess it is indeed a HTTP (website) blocking issue.

Does the IP address point to a single website, or is it a form of shared
hosting?

There are about 20 small websites on the same IP.

If the latter then the most likely thing is that one of the
other websites on that IP address is the intended target of the
blocking. Why not raise a ticket with A&A, it's the sort of issue they
could easily be interested in.

Have done...

A good point. The websites are tiny and clean, but one of them belongs
to my son and...
Old March 9th 13, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband

Jono wrote

What's you're email address?

peter a t peter 2000 c o u k