Is it as good as it gets, Fibre from BT line?

Old March 11th 13, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
David Park

Default Is it as good as it gets, Fibre from BT line?

I have been surprised that my present Be Unlimited LLU Adsl2 will only
double in speed when I go to Fibre supplier such as BT, Plusnet and Sky.
Sometime this year I will be taken off the Be Network and put onto Sky
network and and my present speed of 13Mb will drop to possibly half.
From present view point fibre not exciting at about 24/28 Mb, of course if I
were on Sky etc. 4 times looks a little more attractive.

I began to wonder why the FTTTC not attractive, looked around my street and
adjacent streets but no sign of fibre cabinets, apart from lots of Virgin
Media cabinets.
So found out my BT cabinet number and walked and walked until I found 2 or 3
but they not my number, I had tended to go towards the exchange. So went
away from exchange out of my estate, across another estate and just into
another estate and found my cabinet with a singled door FTTC next to it.
This location as the crow flies further from the exchange than my house.
I estimate the length of connection from exchange to my house will reduce in
copper by about a third. This explains to me the unexciting uplift in fibre
speed.

Now my question what do BT do when the limit of customers on this single
door cabinet is reached?

Is this the nearest I can expect from BT, do they do a second phase of
adding fibre cabinets to enable then nearer to customers?
(Of course I appreciate BT still not reached everywhere at present with
fibre in any form.)

I'm hoping maybe that some of you in the south might have experience of
bigger take up of FTTC and able to say the future position when cabinets
become full and expansion done.

Regards
David

Old March 11th 13, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Chris

On 11/03/2013 09:52, David Park wrote:
I have been surprised that my present Be Unlimited LLU Adsl2 will only
double in speed when I go to Fibre supplier such as BT, Plusnet and Sky.
Sometime this year I will be taken off the Be Network and put onto Sky
network and and my present speed of 13Mb will drop to possibly half.
From present view point fibre not exciting at about 24/28 Mb, of course
if I were on Sky etc. 4 times looks a little more attractive.

Where do you get those figures from? 'BT'-provided ADSL2+ is perfectly
capable of providing 13Mbps. I get 12Mbps, but I'm a fair distance from
the exchange.

I began to wonder why the FTTTC not attractive, looked around my street
and adjacent streets but no sign of fibre cabinets, apart from lots of
Virgin Media cabinets.
So found out my BT cabinet number and walked and walked until I found 2
or 3 but they not my number, I had tended to go towards the exchange.
So went away from exchange out of my estate, across another estate and
just into another estate and found my cabinet with a singled door FTTC
next to it. This location as the crow flies further from the exchange
than my house.
I estimate the length of connection from exchange to my house will
reduce in copper by about a third. This explains to me the unexciting
uplift in fibre speed.

Unless I'm mistaken, your current connection will also be using this
cabinet, so there's no reason why a non-Be connection would be slowed by
this distance of copper.

Old March 11th 13, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
David Park

"chris" wrote in message ...

Where do you get those figures from? 'BT'-provided ADSL2+ is perfectly
capable of providing 13Mbps. I get 12Mbps, but I'm a fair distance from
the exchange.

Unless I'm mistaken, your current connection will also be using this
cabinet, so there's no reason why a non-Be connection would be slowed by
this distance of copper.

******

I get the slower figures from the various ISPs offering services to me from
their availability checkers and also speed I got from the ISP I had before
Be Unlimited.

Be/O2 as you will know have their own network and equipment in the exchange
so that is a major factor I would think.
I can alter for myself my Profile via my Account on the Be website, my
settings I understand I get 1 or 2 more Mb than I will get from Sky Network.
Other ISPs might deliberately slow down with with fair usage and congestion
etc.

I'm probably less than a mile as the crow flies from the exchange but I
think the copper must be a lot longer and maybe up to 3 times that.

Regards
David

Old March 11th 13, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Steve

David Park wrote:
[...]
Sometime this year I will be taken off the Be Network and put onto Sky
network and and my present speed of 13Mb will drop to possibly half.

How do you know this? Crystal ball, rumour, what?

Old March 11th 13, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
alexd

David Park (for it is he) wrote:

I get the slower figures from the various ISPs offering services to me
from their availability checkers

Pretty sure the last time you asked this, the answer was, it's just an
estimate, so will a) be conservative and b) may not actually match reality.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:06:30 up 84 days, 16:38, 9 users, load average: 1.00, 0.87, 0.82

Old March 11th 13, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Park

"alexd" wrote in message ...

David Park (for it is he) wrote:

I get the slower figures from the various ISPs offering services to me
from their availability checkers

Pretty sure the last time you asked this, the answer was, it's just an
estimate, so will a) be conservative and b) may not actually match reality.

--
*****
These are the questions.

Now my question what do BT do when the limit of customers on this single
door cabinet is reached?

Is this the nearest I can expect from BT, do they do a second phase of
adding fibre cabinets to enable then nearer to customers?

The rest is just background.
Regards
David
Old March 11th 13, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 11/03/2013 14:23, David Park wrote:
These are the questions.

Now my question what do BT do when the limit of customers on this single
door cabinet is reached?

Probably one of the following:

1. Do nothing.
2. Increase capacity of the cabinet
3. Install another cabinet

Is this the nearest I can expect from BT, do they do a second phase of
adding fibre cabinets to enable then nearer to customers?

If they do enable more cabinets in your area (which they sometimes do)
it probably won't help your situation. Fibre cabinets tend to be located
close to, or next to the older non-fibre variants.

It's also very unlikely that your line will ever be connected to
anything other than the cabinet it currently is.

Old March 11th 13, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
PlusNet Support Team

On 11/03/2013 12:25, David Park wrote:

"chris" wrote in message ...

Where do you get those figures from? 'BT'-provided ADSL2+ is perfectly
capable of providing 13Mbps. I get 12Mbps, but I'm a fair distance from
the exchange.

Unless I'm mistaken, your current connection will also be using this
cabinet, so there's no reason why a non-Be connection would be slowed by
this distance of copper.

******

I get the slower figures from the various ISPs offering services to me
from their availability checkers and also speed I got from the ISP I had
before Be Unlimited.

As Chris has pointed out, it's unlikely you'll see a speed reduction of 50%.

Be/O2 as you will know have their own network and equipment in the
exchange so that is a major factor I would think.

So do Sky, although not all customers are provided on it because it's
location-dependent.

I can alter for myself my Profile via my Account on the Be website, my
settings I understand I get 1 or 2 more Mb than I will get from Sky
Network.
Other ISPs might deliberately slow down with with fair usage and
congestion etc.

If you move back to the BT network then you'll be subject to Wholesale's
Dynamic Line Management systems. This can result in a marginally slower
connection than Be/O2 can provide on their LLU network however the speed
difference shouldn't be that significant assuming your line is stable.

Old March 11th 13, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
David Park

o.uk...

"chris" wrote in message ...

Where do you get those figures from? 'BT'-provided ADSL2+ is perfectly
capable of providing 13Mbps. I get 12Mbps, but I'm a fair distance from
the exchange.

Unless I'm mistaken, your current connection will also be using this
cabinet, so there's no reason why a non-Be connection would be slowed by
this distance of copper.

******

I get the slower figures from the various ISPs offering services to me
from their availability checkers and also speed I got from the ISP I had
before Be Unlimited.

As Chris has pointed out, it's unlikely you'll see a speed reduction of 50%.

Be/O2 as you will know have their own network and equipment in the
exchange so that is a major factor I would think.

So do Sky, although not all customers are provided on it because it's
location-dependent.

I can alter for myself my Profile via my Account on the Be website, my
settings I understand I get 1 or 2 more Mb than I will get from Sky
Network.
Other ISPs might deliberately slow down with with fair usage and
congestion etc.

If you move back to the BT network then you'll be subject to Wholesale's
Dynamic Line Management systems. This can result in a marginally slower
connection than Be/O2 can provide on their LLU network however the speed
difference shouldn't be that significant assuming your line is stable.

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|Plusnet Plc. www.plus.net

******

Thanks for your comments.

Plusnet web site checked my line and estimates + or - 1Mb for fibre 29Mb
and 6Mb for normal.
So half of my present 13Mb from a Sync of 14Mb. I have my settings for
Max. speed and gaming, and I do not get messed around with slowing down at
busy parts of the evening as I did with previous ISPs.
You will see why I'm worried Sky will drop my speed.

Regards
David

Old March 11th 13, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
PeeGee

"chris" wrote in message ...

[...]

This was filtered out as it was below the sig separator:
****
Thanks for your comments.

Plusnet web site checked my line and estimates + or - 1Mb for fibre
29Mb and 6Mb for normal.
So half of my present 13Mb from a Sync of 14Mb. I have my settings for
Max. speed and gaming, and I do not get messed around with slowing down
at busy parts of the evening as I did with previous ISPs.
You will see why I'm worried Sky will drop my speed.
****

Any ISP using BTw (eg Plusnet) interrogate the BTw database for
estimates - so they should all be the same.

You could try http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php though it
says I should get 2944 and not the 4025 I do have!

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."