Fibre extension kits and filtered faceplates

Old March 13th 13, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

Default Fibre extension kits and filtered faceplates

I'm starting to plan for an FTTC upgrade, having decided to take
the plunge of the necessary change of ISP. SWMBO doesn't want IT kit
cluttering up the living room where the master socket is. So at present
I have a filtered ADSL2+ faceplate on the master socket, and a hardwired
phone cable running from the faceplate's unfiltered A+B terminals to
a second filtered faceplate (with extensions running from the filtered
side) where the router is. Fairly unexceptional in setup I think.

Reading around the subject, I gather that ordinary 4-pair phone cable
may give less good results for VDSL on an internal run like this than
cat5 UTP. My existing run goes under laminate flooring, round corners
and through mini trunking. Cat5 is quite thick so would present
problems here.

Firstly, if I order a fibre extension kit, would this be thinner stuff ?
(I'm assuming the engineer might be persuaded to leave it with me in
exchange for tea and biccies, so I can do the cable routing rather than
have it stapled to the skirting, fireplace and doorways !)

Secondly, I guess I only get one filtered VDSL faceplate from the install.
Would my existing ADSL2 one+ do, at the internal socket, or would I need
to order a VDSL one to replace it from those nice Solwise people ?

Thanks for any comments,

Nick
Old March 13th 13, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 13/03/13 16:17, Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

All the comments I've seen indicate the extension kit is CAT5e cable.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old March 13th 13, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Nick Leverton wrote:

I'm starting to plan for an FTTC upgrade
if I order a fibre extension kit

Check first whether your chosen ISP already orders the "kit" as a
standard part of their install - Plusnet do.

Old March 13th 13, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:17:49 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
wrote:

[...]

A VDSL installation should only ever use one filterd faceplate and all
POTS devices should be wired to its filtered side.

Ideally, your ADSL installation should only use a single filter too,
but as ADSL is typically retro-fitted by the customer, onto the
existing wiring topology, it's easier to have them install a filter at
every socket where POTS devices are used.

The main reason for the engineer installation is to make the necesarry
changes to the wiring so a single VDSL faceplate can be used.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 14th 13, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Biggles

On 13/03/2013 16:17, Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

I had exactly the same configuration as you have got and had BT Infinity
installed last week. I asked the engineer if it was at all possible to
use the existing arrangement to keep all the equipment where it
currently is (in a spare room/study). He said it was not possible, the
equipment had to be connected directly to the master socket - there was
no facility for providing an unfiltered output from the master socket. I
wasn't totally convinced but figured that I could either re-configure it
myself later or get them to move the master socket to the spare room
once I had decided what my options were. I suspect that Openreach
engineers avoid getting involved with customer's wiring if at all possible.

The current Infinity kit consists of an Openreach Modem which plugs into
the master socket, and an BT Home HUB 3 Wireless/Wired 4 port Hub which
connects to the Modem via Ethernet. They fit an interstitial (i.e.
sandwich) plate between the original face plate and NTE5 socket.

My understanding is that the extension kit is Ethernet (so I assume
Cat5/RJ45), and allows you to position the Hub away from the Modem - but
the Modem stays near to the master socket. The Modem can be directly
wall mounted but the Hub cannot.

I also have BT YouView, which means that I now have the following kit
clustered around my master socket:

Openreach Modem + power supply
BT Infinity Hub + power supply
Powerline Adapter

together with my original cordless phone + power supply.

It's not pretty!

Reading around the 'Net, I get the impression that the Openreach
position is what the engineer told me - must be connected to master
socket. However I found several posts/pages suggesting that my previous
configuration could be used - by wiring to two terminals on the
interstitial plate on my master socket - I've just checked the
interstitial plate supplied by Openreach and there are two spare
terminals so it looks like a possibility.

Sorry this doesn't answer your specific questions but hopefully will
give you a better idea of what sort of setup to expect.

Biggles
Remove packaging/ from my address to e-mail me.

Old March 14th 13, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 14/03/13 02:00, Biggles wrote:
My understanding is that the extension kit is Ethernet (so I assume
Cat5/RJ45), and allows you to position the Hub away from the Modem - but
the Modem stays near to the master socket. ...

The "extension kit" is used to move the modem to a convenient position,
though whether RJ45 or RJ11/14 connectors are used, I do not know.

Reading around the 'Net, I get the impression that the Openreach
position is what the engineer told me - must be connected to master
socket. However I found several posts/pages suggesting that my previous
configuration could be used - by wiring to two terminals on the
interstitial plate on my master socket - I've just checked the
interstitial plate supplied by Openreach and there are two spare
terminals so it looks like a possibility.

correct!