Wireless connectivity

Old March 16th 13, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

Default Wireless connectivity

I live in rural Cornwall and right on the end of the exchange such that
broadband provided by BT is as fast as 1200kbps on my wired pc on a
sunny day and as slow as 200kbps on a wet day.

If I set my smartphone up as a wifi hotspot, I can get in excess of
2000kbps wirelessly on my tablet but only 200kbps on my pc which is is
in the same place. On the pc, I'm using a Zyxel NWD2105 Wireless N-lite
USB Adapter.

Does the huge speed difference suggest the Zyxel adapter is faulty?

Thanks

Old March 16th 13, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 16/03/2013 12:02, PeterL wrote:
I live in rural Cornwall and right on the end of the exchange such that
broadband provided by BT is as fast as 1200kbps on my wired pc on a
sunny day and as slow as 200kbps on a wet day.

If I set my smartphone up as a wifi hotspot, I can get in excess of
2000kbps wirelessly on my tablet but only 200kbps on my pc which is is
in the same place. On the pc, I'm using a Zyxel NWD2105 Wireless N-lite
USB Adapter.

Does the huge speed difference suggest the Zyxel adapter is faulty?

Thanks

No, it suggests that its connection setting has got its max speed set at
some low figure.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 16th 13, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 16/03/2013 12:02, PeterL wrote:
I live in rural Cornwall and right on the end of the exchange
such that
broadband provided by BT is as fast as 1200kbps on my wired pc
on a
sunny day and as slow as 200kbps on a wet day.

If I set my smartphone up as a wifi hotspot, I can get in
excess of
2000kbps wirelessly on my tablet but only 200kbps on my pc
which is is
in the same place. On the pc, I'm using a Zyxel NWD2105
Wireless N-lite
USB Adapter.

Does the huge speed difference suggest the Zyxel adapter is
faulty?

Thanks

No, it suggests that its connection setting has got its max
speed set at some low figure.
--

Either that or you have both wireless and cable connected at the
same time and the PC is deferring to the latter.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com