ADSL line re-numbering

Old March 19th 13, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cliff Frisby

Default ADSL line re-numbering

Will BT be able to re-number a phone line which has a third-party ADSL
service on it. (Line rental paid to BT, broadband on C&W LLU (Demon))?

As Demon apparantly only ever identify the line by its telephone number, it
suggests that BT would need to back-notify Demon of the number change, so
that their records remain consistent. My suspicion that no such procedure
exists leads me to expect that any such re-numbering request would be
refused. Does any here know any better?

I'm grateful for any insights.

Old March 19th 13, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:51:52 +0000, Cliff Frisby
wrote:

Will BT be able to re-number a phone line which has a third-party ADSL
service on it. (Line rental paid to BT, broadband on C&W LLU (Demon))?

As Demon apparantly only ever identify the line by its telephone number, it
suggests that BT would need to back-notify Demon of the number change, so
that their records remain consistent. My suspicion that no such procedure
exists leads me to expect that any such re-numbering request would be
refused. Does any here know any better?

I'm grateful for any insights.

I was in the same position with BT line rental and Demon ADSL. When I
moved house I switched to BT for all telephone and Internet
facilities. The easy option was to get a new number but I wanted to
keep the same one.

Steve

Old March 19th 13, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cliff Frisby

wrote:

Will BT be able to re-number a phone line which has a third-party ADSL
service on it. (Line rental paid to BT, broadband on C&W LLU (Demon))?

As Demon apparantly only ever identify the line by its telephone number,
it suggests that BT would need to back-notify Demon of the number change,
so that their records remain consistent. My suspicion that no such
procedure exists leads me to expect that any such re-numbering request
would be refused. Does any here know any better?

I'm grateful for any insights.

I was in the same position with BT line rental and Demon ADSL. When I
moved house I switched to BT for all telephone and Internet
facilities. The easy option was to get a new number but I wanted to
keep the same one.

Thanks, Steve.

I have to say, though, that that sounds fairly dissimilar to the situation I
described (though I might have descibed it badly).

I'm not moving house or changing broadband supplier. In fact I don't really
want to affect the broadband contract at all if I can help it. I'm already
paying for the line of interest (and the Demon broadband service on it). I
like the physical line for broadband and telephone purposes, and I like the
broadband service currently on it, but I don't like the phone number. The
phone number I want allocated to it is currently allocated to another line
(to the same property), which I would like to close to save money.

Cliff

Old March 19th 13, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

I think it goes something like BT put a 'tag' on the line to show
that it has 3rd party broadband and they will not do anything to
that line until the tag is removed, i.e. the broadband ceased.
You could try writing to Demon and asking them if they would
agree to it and then go waft that piece of paper under BT's
noses, but don't hold your breath.

The only way around it that I can think of would be if you were
getting (and could prove your are getting) nuisance or abusive
calls which could, if proven, result in a prosecution, in which
case there may be a method in one of their specilaist departments
for the number to be changed without ceasing the broadband.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 19th 13, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Cliff Frisby (for it is he) wrote:

Will BT be able to re-number a phone line which has a third-party ADSL
service on it.

Yes, they can, but it will cease the broadband [and potentially other
services on the line as well]. I think you can get your ISP to account for
this with some sort of 'order', but I may be misremembering.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:14:51 up 4 days, 11:10, 3 users, load average: 0.65, 0.64, 0.65

Old March 19th 13, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

[...]

If I were you I would leave the ADSL line and its current number
alone, and port the number of the other line to Sipgate.co.uk for a
one off charge of 20.
You will need a VoIP phone or ATA.

Porting the number in this way will automatically cease the line which
is what you want.

uk.telecom.voip is where we can answer your VoIP related questions if
you decide to go this route.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old March 20th 13, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Woody wrote:
I think it goes something like BT put a 'tag' on the line to show
that it has 3rd party broadband and they will not do anything to
that line until the tag is removed, i.e. the broadband ceased.
You could try writing to Demon and asking them if they would
agree to it and then go waft that piece of paper under BT's
noses, but don't hold your breath.

The only way around it that I can think of would be if you were
getting (and could prove your are getting) nuisance or abusive
calls which could, if proven, result in a prosecution, in which
case there may be a method in one of their specilaist departments
for the number to be changed without ceasing the broadband.

If you get BT to change anything about a particular phone number (like
changing the nature of the account from business to domestic) it will
break the ADSL service.

A good ISP such as Zen will tell you this has happened.

So discontinue the number you don't require. You now have a redundant
master socket located in a sensible plaes in your house. Then pay BT to
move the number you wish to keep to the now redundant socket. This will
break the ADSL service. Go to your ISP and get them to move the ADSL
service to the new line. As far as the ISP is concerned this is at
least a migration (even though the number is actually the same); or it
might be a new provision and incur the costs accordingly.

If the ISP is A&A or Zen talk to them first - they may be able to help.

When I tried something similar with Demon they could do nothing other
than treat it as a cancellation and new profide. That was some years
ago when they had a good reputation; now I suspect you could not even
talk to anybody who would understand the situation.

So I would move ISP first.

--
Graham J

Old March 20th 13, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Graham J [email protected] wrote:
When I tried something similar with Demon they could do nothing other
than treat it as a cancellation and new profide. That was some years
ago when they had a good reputation; now I suspect you could not even
talk to anybody who would understand the situation.

So I would move ISP first.

I think anything that happens to the underlying line causes a Cease on the
broadband, and there's nothing the ISP can do to stop it. Or that's what
I've read here, I have no direct experience.

Are the physical lines in different places - does it matter which the signal
comes by? If not, what I'd do is sign up as a new customer on the number
you want to keep (possibly taking advantage of Free Broadband^* offers).
Then cease the old line and broadband. This way you ensure continuity of
connection, but might have to pay an overlapping month. This assumes you're
out of fixed term period, when things might be messier.

^ Terms and conditions apply, lots of them
* You didn't think it was really free did you? Ha ha.

Theo
Old March 20th 13, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:25:48 +0000, Cliff Frisby

like the physical line for broadband and telephone purposes, and I like the
broadband service currently on it, but I don't like the phone number. The
phone number I want allocated to it is currently allocated to another line
(to the same property), which I would like to close to save money.

You will need to get Demon to release the number and terminate your
current contract. Then get BT to change the number. That will cost you
about 120. Then start a new contract with Demon. BT will not charge
you is you change from Demon to one of their Internet services.

Steve

Old March 20th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cliff Frisby

Woody wrote:

I think it goes something like BT put a 'tag' on the line to show
that it has 3rd party broadband and they will not do anything to
that line until the tag is removed, i.e. the broadband ceased.

That is what I suspected, and in fact they have already intimated as much to
me, but I wasn't entirely convinced. I think I am now.

You could try writing to Demon and asking them if they would
agree to it and then go waft that piece of paper under BT's
noses, but don't hold your breath.

Demon, to their credit, are having a little look to if anything an be done.

The only way around it that I can think of would be if you were
getting (and could prove your are getting) nuisance or abusive
calls which could, if proven, result in a prosecution, in which
case there may be a method in one of their specilaist departments
for the number to be changed without ceasing the broadband.

Now you mention it, an very obscene suggestion was made to me just a few
days ago before the caller hung up. I only asked why, if he was from Sky,
he didn't already know whether I was a Sky subscriber...