Tangled Tale - Should I go for misleading advertising or rank incompetency?

Old March 20th 13, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Tangled Tale - Should I go for misleading advertising or rank incompetency?

As those who frequent other forums may already know, I've just moved
into a new house, in the wilds of nowhere. Touted maximum broadband
speed here is about 4Mbps, so it's not as though I'm about to get
conned by promised connection speeds.

'Til I get connected, I'm using my mobile's data connection tethered
to my PC, but it's treaclish slow, 5 minutes to load a page on John
Lewis website, though that's improved for some of the day now that
I've discovered which window to sit near.

On Saturday, by this means, I had on-line chats with reps from
PlusNet, Orange (my mobile supplier), and BT. It turned out that the
first two's figures quoted on their websites were subject to postcode
lotteries (probably something to do with LLU), and thus misleading,
the basic rate to me excluding line rental being about double what was
advertised.

Consequently, I went for BT, and placed an order on their website.
Today, having not heard anything since the initial order
acknowledgement, and my attempts to track progress being met with
"Order not found on our system!", I thought I'd better ring to give
chase, and indeed it has turned out that, despite the initial
acknowledgement I received on Saturday, BT have absolutely no record
of my order. I told them they'd lost their chance, and rang off.

Question is, who to try next? I will not give business to anyone
associated with Sky, and I'm reluctant to give my custom to firms that
have misleading websites, or to those that are incompetent.

I'm not a heavy phone user, it's the broadband that's important. I
just want a straightforward and accurate description of what I will
pay, and for what, and connection as soon as possible. Is this really
too much to ask?

Any suggestions?
Old March 20th 13, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:40:35 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

[...]

http://aa.nu/broadband

Don't bleat about the cost - YGWYPF.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post
Old March 20th 13, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:49:35 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Ooops...

http://aa.nu/broadband.html

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post
Old March 20th 13, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

wrote:

I'm not a heavy phone user, it's the broadband that's important. I
just want a straightforward and accurate description of what I will
pay, and for what, and connection as soon as possible. Is this really
too much to ask?

Any suggestions?

I'm very pleased with BT and so I suggest you try them again. They can
be contacted by phone

Steve

Old March 20th 13, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

Don't bleat about the cost - YGWYPF.

Ooops...

http://aa.nu/broadband.html

Or Zen Internet ...

Old March 20th 13, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Java Jive" wrote in message
[...]

Have you looked at samknows to see who has LLU in your serving
exchange. Could be a good pointer?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 20th 13, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Java Jive wrote:
On Saturday, by this means, I had on-line chats with reps from
PlusNet, Orange (my mobile supplier), and BT. It turned out that the
first two's figures quoted on their websites were subject to postcode
lotteries (probably something to do with LLU), and thus misleading,
the basic rate to me excluding line rental being about double what was
advertised.

Figures = money or = speed?

You'll probably find there's a
^ 85% of UK population, subject to survey
in most suppliers terms.

If you're on an exchange with any LLU, Plusnet will drop to their 'LLU'
pricing. They don't do LLU because they are owned by BT so use BT kit all
the time, but the presence of, eg, Talktalk is enough of a trigger to reduce
their prices.

As far as sync speeds go, they're all a guesstimate to some degree (except
Virgin). So don't stake too much on one over another.

I'm not a heavy phone user, it's the broadband that's important. I
just want a straightforward and accurate description of what I will
pay, and for what, and connection as soon as possible. Is this really
too much to ask?

If you don't want LLU, going for one of the small independents is probably a
better bet...

Theo
Old March 20th 13, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Good idea, but ...

BT Wholesale: ADSL Max (up to 8M)
LLU Services: undefined

.... which I guess means noone - it's a very quiet, out of the way
place, and almost certainly not economical for LLU.

As per my earlier hunch and Theo's mail, this probably explains the
PlusNet and Orange pricings - the former have no rivals so charge
the full whack even though they're able to use BT kit, while the
latter are charged to use BT kit. The cheaper pricings for the former
are for where they have rivals, and for the latter are for where it's
economic to install own kit.

Doesn't alter the fact that the advertising is misleading, in that
it's not immediately obvious that it's a postcode lottery.

Old March 20th 13, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 20/03/13 16:40, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

You mean you didn't check why it was advertised as "from"?

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old March 20th 13, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
[...]

As I understand this 'code' it means you can have any ISP that
users BT as its carrier - which is actually many of the good
ones. Even though it is not in one of their competitive areas I
would still think Plusnet would be as good as any.

I have to say that when my daughter lived in MK she had Sky and
got about 2.8Mb and some unreliability: when she moved to Bath
(lives where they can't have dishes) she went to BT Internet and
gets top side of 6Mb and it has been rock solid. I persuaded my
f-in-l (87) in Sheffield to get B/B last Autumn: BT machine
estimated 6.1Mb - he lives about 3Km from the exchange - and he
gets 10.9 regularly and it too is rock solid.

As Plusnet and BT will likely give you the same feed the main
advantage of PN is that the helpdesk speaks English - Yorkshire
to be exact!