T-Mobile whinge

Old March 23rd 13, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default T-Mobile whinge

I ordered a Mobile Broadband USB Stick E3131 from T-Mobile on Wednesday
and paid for it with a debit card.

Received an email acknowledgement with an order reference number the
same day. It says delivery might be Thursday or Friday.

Website shows a delivery tracking link to UK Mail - so I paste in the
reference number. Doesn't work!

Now Saturday - still not here! Reference number still does not work on
tracking website.

Ring T-Mobile. All the numbers I try want my T-mobile phone number
(which of course I don't have) before they will let me in. Finally
manage to talk to a real person ...

.... who can't find my name, addresss, postcode, or the order reference
number. Get passed around, finally getting somebody who identifies my
order and gives me a consignment number.

Use this consignment number on the UK Mail website. This shows their
driver tried to deliver on Thursday but claimed he could not find my
address, so rang me. But I didn't receive any calls. Website shows
nothing will happen until I call them.

Ring UK Mail. No explanation for why driver can't find my address.
Lady I'm talking to has it correctly on her system. Delivery now
rescheduled for Monday afternoon.

Moral: don't use T-Mobile, nor UK Mail. If a high street shop had had
the product in stock, I would have bought one last Wednesday!

All this is because BT can't install a new phone line for three weeks!

Why is it so difficult to do business in Britain!

--
Graham J
Old March 23rd 13, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:14:47 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

All this is because BT can't install a new phone line for three weeks!

Same problem here, although the phone is believed to be working -
that is to say that I am told that it is, but I can't test it until I
get my stuff from storage next Tuesday - broadband is not due until
next Friday.

Bloody irritating delay, particularly as I can only currently access
the web by tethering my mobile, with appallingly slow speeds.

Why is it so difficult to do business in Britain!

As my parents used to say:

"Because!"
"But WHY?!"
"Just BECAUSE!"

Old March 23rd 13, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Java Jive wrote:
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:14:47 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:
All this is because BT can't install a new phone line for three weeks!

Same problem here,

Get one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's brilliant, just stick a 3G data SIM of your choice inside it,
though AIUI a Giff Gaff one requires a bit of manual cofig for APNs etc

My Vodafone SIM just works, no config required.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 23rd 13, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default (was T-Mobile whinge)

Thanks for the link, but that looks rather an expensive way of
covering a problem of a week or two, especially as my phone is
supposed to be able to do that anyway ...

(Time to ping John Rumm?)

There are three ways this phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note II (GT-N7100),
is supposed to be able to act as a modem for other devices:
USB tether
Bluetooth tether
Wifi tether

AFAICT, all three work in at least some situations.

I have two laptops here, an old Dell Latitude 610 with my standard W2k
build now upgraded to XP SP3 and all appropriate updates, which is my
main work PC at least until the desktops arrive on Tuesday, and a new
Dell Inspiron 15RSE 7520, supplied with W8 but downgraded to W7, which
I use as a multimedia centre - it has all my music and photos, and
most of my video/DVDs, backed up onto it, so that I can play them
whereever.

USB tethering definitely works with the Latitude running XP, and very
likely with the Inspiron running W7 though I don't recall trying this.

Bluetooth tethering works with the Inspiron, but surprisingly the
Latitude has no Bluetooth connectivity.

Wifi tethering works with the Inspiron, but NOT, maddeningly, with the
Latitude running XP. I've searched through pages and pages of Google
results on this, but not been able to fix it. There are apparently
two ways that XP commonly fails in this situation, mine does the
first:
1) It sees the phone's WiFi access point, but just times out
trying to connect to it.
2) It connects to it, obtains an IP, can ping the phone, but
cannot browse the Web.

I think I've probably found an answer to the second, should I get that
far, but absolutely noone seems to really know anything about the
first.

I've tried all the usual things: Both PCs connect both wired and
wirelessly to my Cisco router with absolutely no problems. I've
rebooted the PC and the phone any number of times. I've checked that
I have the most recent drivers for my Wifi hardware, and that there
are no missing updates on the build.

A strange aspect of the problem is that XP Wifi is just plain
disobedient. If the Cisco is turned on, the PC always connects to it
regardless of the setting defining it as a manual connection. If I
manually disconnect, XP immediately reconnects again. The only way I
can test the mobile's hotspot is to turn the Cisco off.

If anyone has any ideas for solving this which doesn't involve
reinstalling XP, I'd be really, really grateful to hear them.

Old March 23rd 13, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Mark Carver wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:14:47 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:
All this is because BT can't install a new phone line for three weeks!

Same problem here,

Get one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's brilliant, just stick a 3G data SIM of your choice inside it,
though AIUI a Giff Gaff one requires a bit of manual cofig for APNs etc

My Vodafone SIM just works, no config required.

Very pretty - but is there any better chance of realistic delivery?

Or could I buy one in a high street shop (in a small town in rural Norfolk)?

Also all these mobile devices miss out an important consideration. For
my typical business users the requirement is to have a backup internet
connection for an existing LAN (or in this specific case, a new LAN
where the phone line to support ADSL is not yet available) - so an ideal
product would be a modem with a PoE RJ45 connection, which would connect
to the Ethernet WAN port of the existing router. That way it could be
placed at the top of a 100 metre pole (or whatever height you can
afford) and stand a chance of getting a 3G signal.

The existing USB devices are all very well, but have to be plugged into
the USB port of the router - or connected via a short USB cable.

Does anybody sell such a device?

-- Graham J

Old March 23rd 13, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Graham J wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's brilliant, just stick a 3G data SIM of your choice inside it,
though AIUI a Giff Gaff one requires a bit of manual cofig for APNs etc

My Vodafone SIM just works, no config required.

Very pretty - but is there any better chance of realistic delivery?

Mine came within 48 hours (using 'Free' SuperSaver delivery)

Also all these mobile devices miss out an important consideration. For
my typical business users the requirement is to have a backup internet
connection for an existing LAN (or in this specific case, a new LAN
where the phone line to support ADSL is not yet available) - so an ideal
product would be a modem with a PoE RJ45 connection, which would connect
to the Ethernet WAN port of the existing router. That way it could be
placed at the top of a 100 metre pole (or whatever height you can
afford) and stand a chance of getting a 3G signal.

You could acheive that with the device I linked above, plus this:-

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/d...odel=TL-WR702N

20 quid, (or less in places)

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 23rd 13, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Mark Carver wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's brilliant, just stick a 3G data SIM of your choice inside it,
though AIUI a Giff Gaff one requires a bit of manual cofig for APNs etc

My Vodafone SIM just works, no config required.

Very pretty - but is there any better chance of realistic delivery?

Mine came within 48 hours (using 'Free' SuperSaver delivery)

That's what T-Mobile offered with UK mail - don't trus it!

Also all these mobile devices miss out an important consideration.
For my typical business users the requirement is to have a backup
internet connection for an existing LAN (or in this specific case, a
new LAN where the phone line to support ADSL is not yet available) -
so an ideal product would be a modem with a PoE RJ45 connection, which
would connect to the Ethernet WAN port of the existing router. That
way it could be placed at the top of a 100 metre pole (or whatever
height you can afford) and stand a chance of getting a 3G signal.

You could acheive that with the device I linked above, plus this:-

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/d...odel=TL-WR702N

20 quid, (or less in places)

Presumably it can be configured in modem mode so I can use my existing
router (becasue of the facilities it provides)?

Then I have to package everything in a waterproof box to go on top of
the 100 metre pole ...

-- Graham J

Old March 23rd 13, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Graham J wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

[...]

Some 3G dongles come with an antenna connection, so I would simply mount
the antenna at the top of your pole and wire it down to where the dongle is.

Old March 23rd 13, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Graham J wrote:

Mine came within 48 hours (using 'Free' SuperSaver delivery)

That's what T-Mobile offered with UK mail - don't trus it!

I've ordered gallons of stuff from Amazon over the last 14 years, you get
pretty comprehensive tracking info, and I don't recall ever having a problem.

T Mobile sound similar to uber-muppets Vodafone, my order for a Sure Signal
just fell into a black hole. Best to arrange pick up from the store IMHO.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 23rd 13, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

an ideal product would be a modem with a PoE RJ45 connection, which would
connect to the Ethernet WAN port of the existing router.

I think this would cover the power requirements of most of the devices that
you might have at the top of a pole, if it doesn't support PoE natively:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=9666

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:14:29 up 8 days, 10:10, 4 users, load average: 0.75, 0.77, 0.82