Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

Old March 24th 13, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Default Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

There is no better word for it, but what I really
want is high upload speed in exchange for low
download speed, and pay the same price as having
it the other way around by default.

As far as I can tell, high upload speed has
changed my work prospects good soon after I bought
a BT 16mbit upload / 65 mbit download service for
about 30 pounds a month.

It would be much nicer if I could have it the
other way around with high upload speed and low
download speed. If I really need a download service,
then I can easily pay for second line with high
download speeds any way.

Basically I can communicate with all my engineers
in minutes uploading CDs contains tons of design data,
and where its all software, I use virtual disks.

Everything in IT is going virtual from design data to
complete virtual disks which can average around 10 Gbytes.
Its so much easier to set up all the software,
design files and product information into and the
virtual disk than it is to write out instructions
on how to do it.

Old March 24th 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 24/03/2013 13:21, 7 wrote:
Basically I can communicate with all my engineers
in minutes uploading CDs contains tons of design data,
and where its all software, I use virtual disks.

I think you need a remote (virtual?) server somewhere with a big fat
pipe, rather than something at your premises. Most companies that do
this kind of thing will have their own fibre to the premises, which is
symmetrical in bandwidth - and very expensive.

Andy
Old March 24th 13, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:21:59 +0000, 7
[email protected] .com wrote:

Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

Not so far as I know. You need to use a SDSL service. Plusnet, Demon
and BT do SDSL. Demon and Plusnet charge about the same amount. I
can't fathom out the BT price.

Steve

Old March 24th 13, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

7 wrote:

Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

Not so far as I know. You need to use a SDSL service.

Not a lot of point ... SDSL will be slower that the "up" part of his
existing 65/16 line, my thought was the same as Andy Champ, he needs to
build these disk images on a server in a datacentre somewhere, not at
his house.

Old March 24th 13, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

7 wrote:
Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

There is no better word for it, but what I really
want is high upload speed in exchange for low
download speed, and pay the same price as having
it the other way around by default.

As alexd said in the other thread - there are technical reasons going
against this with *dsl.

Download uses higher frequencies which cause/suffer crosstalk.

Coming from the dslam to you the signals are strong, in phase and the
wires tend to fan out - so it works.

From you to the dslam signal is weak, out of phase and the wires
concentrate with others so it would get trashed.

Of course it may be technically possible to do better up that what has
been set - but I guess you would need to restrict everyone elses down
speed to free up frequencies.

Old March 24th 13, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

7 wrote:

Does anyone do 'reverse' broadband?

Not so far as I know. You need to use a SDSL service.

Not a lot of point ... SDSL will be slower that the "up" part of his
existing 65/16 line, my thought was the same as Andy Champ, he needs to
build these disk images on a server in a datacentre somewhere, not at
his house.

It depends on how much more he wants to pay. SDSL can go up to 200Mb
but it costs. I agree that SDSL is not a good solution. If it was my
problem I would get FTTC but that may not be available where he is
based.

Steve

Old March 24th 13, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

R. Mark Clayton (for it is he) wrote:

I think you need SDSL.

Not only would that be a fraction of the speed he has now, I'm not even sure
if it's available for new supply any more.

From the BT Wholesale checker:

Thank you for your interest.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement
date for Datastream is from 31-Jan-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is
from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-
Jan-2014.

Depending on your opinion, SDSL has either been replaced with Annex M, VDSL
or EFM.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
15:15:06 up 9 days, 7:11, 5 users, load average: 1.06, 0.97, 0.96

Old March 24th 13, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 24/03/13 13:21, 7 wrote:
[...]

Not an answer to your question, but another thought:

upload all your patches just ONCE and then let them download at will.

Your own server out there in 'netland is not so expensive.

If you run linux at both ends rsync will do that automagically overnight..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old March 24th 13, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 24/03/13 13:21, 7 wrote:
[...]

Further to that even at 448k, which is what I have, that's about
200Mbytes an hour.

which is no slouch. For a CD.