Radiation from Dongles and Phones

Old April 3rd 13, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Radiation from Dongles and Phones

Sitting in the middle of the carriage on a train (Southern) from
London to the South Coast on the Arun Valley line I have a good signal
from 5 to 3 bars on my Three dongle. It connects to the Internet well
and I'm happily doing emails and browsing the web. Indeed its faster
than when I am at home in London.

So I thought that the dongle must be radiating some considerable RF
power. Then I thought well the Notebook is just above my lap and all
the power is also radiating through my body including somewhat private
areas of some delicacy.

The same Notebook setup works with a tethered S2 mobile phone. This
too must be radiating considerable power to reach distant phone masts
through the metal body of the carriage and the double glazed windows.

So I wonder just how much radiation is really being transmitted from
the dongle or S2 - and the obvious strength that it is I wonder if
it really as benign as mobile phone companies wish us to believe.
Old April 3rd 13, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 03/04/13 13:12, CJB wrote:
Sitting in the middle of the carriage on a train (Southern) from
London to the South Coast on the Arun Valley line I have a good signal
from 5 to 3 bars on my Three dongle. It connects to the Internet well
and I'm happily doing emails and browsing the web. Indeed its faster
than when I am at home in London.

So I thought that the dongle must be radiating some considerable RF
power. Then I thought well the Notebook is just above my lap and all
the power is also radiating through my body including somewhat private
areas of some delicacy.

The same Notebook setup works with a tethered S2 mobile phone. This
too must be radiating considerable power to reach distant phone masts
through the metal body of the carriage and the double glazed windows.

So I wonder just how much radiation is really being transmitted from
the dongle or S2

the square root of Sweet Fanny Adams and at a frequency that is prety
innocuous too. If you want real radiation, go and live near a TV
transmitter..that has to reach 40 miles, not a little cellular thing
that only has to reach a tower 3 miles away.

Or sit in the sun for 5 minutes

- and the obvious strength that it is I wonder if
it really as benign as mobile phone companies wish us to believe.

Yes. No evidence exists to show any hazard from radiation at this
frequency and level at all.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old April 3rd 13, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"CJB" wrote in message

So I thought that the dongle must be radiating some considerable RF
power.

This
too must be radiating considerable power to reach distant phone masts
through the metal body of the carriage and the double glazed windows.

So I wonder just how much radiation is really being transmitted from
the dongle or S2 .

You seem to have answered your own question - twice ;-}}

PA (aka C.E.M. Joad)

Old April 3rd 13, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
tony sayer

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 03/04/13 13:12, CJB wrote:
[...]

Umm .. wrong...

The near field strength will be much greater than the TV 'mitter. They
are designed to throw the power to the distant horizon and not waste it
directing to down to the ground nearby...

Course the output power of such mobile devices isn't that much and all
the later research still indicated there not to be a problem...

Or sit in the sun for 5 minutes

What and where is that;?...

- and the obvious strength that it is I wonder if
it really as benign as mobile phone companies wish us to believe.

Yes. No evidence exists to show any hazard from radiation at this
frequency and level at all.

Tho I wouldn't like to live next to one of those disguised phone poles
right outside my bedroom window thanks....

--
Tony Sayer

Old April 3rd 13, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Newshound

On 03/04/13 13:12, CJB wrote:
[...]

Another point worth making is that all that radiation from these devices
can do is to warm you up a bit. It comes from quantum theory, the energy
per photon is not enough to ionise any part of your biochemistry, so it
can't damage DNA, cause mutations, initiate cancer, etc. This only
starts to happen with UV and shorter wavelengths, say 0.4 microns rather
than the centimetre plus wavelengths of phones, microwaves, wifi, police
radios, or whatever.

You are right that it is power which matters, though. A power (i.e.
heating power) criterion is what is used to set mobile phone standards.
Should be easy enough to Google.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.
Old April 4th 13, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 05:12:56 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

[...]

all you need to know-

http://www.eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php

Rod.
Old April 4th 13, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 03/04/2013 13:12, CJB wrote:
Sitting in the middle of the carriage on a train (Southern) from
London to the South Coast on the Arun Valley line I have a good signal
from 5 to 3 bars on my Three dongle. It connects to the Internet well
and I'm happily doing emails and browsing the web. Indeed its faster
than when I am at home in London.

So I thought that the dongle must be radiating some considerable RF
power. Then I thought well the Notebook is just above my lap and all
the power is also radiating through my body including somewhat private
areas of some delicacy.

Typically something under 250mW or 1/4W. It is actually quite hard to
find numbers for this but the odd unit has enough detail in the spec.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-dongle-lp1917e.html

This one is actually interesting for folk in borderline reception areas
as it has a detachable antenna that can be swapped for an external
directional high gain unit pointed at your nearest base station.

I discovered recently that at home in North Yorkshire my mobile 3G
broadband has improved to 5Mbps indoors whereas my wired ADSL2 is stuck
at half that. Shame that the 3G mobile costs are 10/GB downloaded.

Until recently mobile phone coverage here was pretty flaky and some
networks could only be reached by leaning out of an upstairs window!

The same Notebook setup works with a tethered S2 mobile phone. This
too must be radiating considerable power to reach distant phone masts
through the metal body of the carriage and the double glazed windows.

So I wonder just how much radiation is really being transmitted from
the dongle or S2 - and the obvious strength that it is I wonder if
it really as benign as mobile phone companies wish us to believe.

Pretty much. Non-ionising RF radiation at a power level where it cannot
cause any heating. I am less convinced that people who walk around with
a mobile phone permanently clamped to one ear are not cooking their
brains though. Circumstantial evidence of the way they step out into the
road without looking and walk straight into lamp posts whilst texting
suggested that excessive use of mobile telephony rots the brain.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 4th 13, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

The total output is 1W. If you sat on it you might absorb 10% of this.
None of the radiation is ionising.

The sun on the other hand delivers IIRC nearly 2kW/m**2 and there is a lot
of ionizing radiation in it - white people will typically suffer second
degree burns after 20 minutes to a few hours exposure and regular exposure
increases the risk of melanoma (major cause of death in Oz).

Old April 4th 13, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Adamfi

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 08:44:47 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I discovered recently that at home in North Yorkshire my mobile 3G
broadband has improved to 5Mbps indoors whereas my wired ADSL2 is

stuck
at half that. Shame that the 3G mobile costs are 10/GB downloaded.

You can get Three SIM cards for 3GB for 3 months on eBay or Amazon
for around 12.
Old April 4th 13, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

wrote:

I discovered recently that at home in North Yorkshire my mobile 3G
broadband has improved to 5Mbps indoors whereas my wired ADSL2 is

stuck
at half that. Shame that the 3G mobile costs are 10/GB downloaded.

You can get Three SIM cards for 3GB for 3 months on eBay or Amazon for
around 12.

I can see them on eBay offer ~10-14... But how does that work?
Retail they seem to be ~30 for 3GB and 1GB top ups are 10.
There was one for 10.50 which is 3.50/GB

(it offends me to trash a SIM card every three months for this deal, but
if it saves a factor of two on usage charges it would be worth it)

Even more interesting are the 35 3G sims with 150 nominal credit
loaded and no timeout (I suspect actually 15 month). That is 2.3/GB!
I can't ignore a factor of four reduction in costs.

Worth a punt I suppose - has anyone tried one? I'm always a bit wary of
dealing with places that use z for s and shades of Warez and hackerz.

I have previously bought entire laser printers to get the free toner
cartridge deals (and a complete spare is sat in the loft now).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown