PAYG browsing from mobile phone

Old April 6th 13, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

Default PAYG browsing from mobile phone

I don't use my mobile much and have a PAYG Tesco SIM card on Lite Tariff
at 8p a minute for calls.
If I want to use my phone for occasional broadband what is my best PAYG
option as I would not need a regular monthly Top Up type deal?
Derek

Old April 6th 13, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Derek F wrote:
I don't use my mobile much and have a PAYG Tesco SIM card on Lite Tariff
at 8p a minute for calls.
If I want to use my phone for occasional broadband what is my best PAYG
option as I would not need a regular monthly Top Up type deal?

Have a look at Kontakt Mobile (Vodafone virtual):
Calls 8p/min
Texts 8p
Data 8p/MB
but you also get 250MB free every time you topup by 5 which lasts for 2
months. Think of it as '5 data bundle' that lasts for 2 months and you can
still spend the 5 on calls.
(I've not actually tried them)

An alternative is Giffgaff (O2 virtual):
Calls 10p/min
Texts 6p
Data 20p for first daily MB (pro-rata), then no more up to 20MB, then 20p/MB
thereafter (in other words 'not more than 20p/day', unless you use more than
20MB)

Theo
Old April 6th 13, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

On 06/04/2013 14:27, Theo Markettos wrote:
Derek F wrote:
[...]

Took me a while to find Kontakt with Google as it is a Polish web site.
it looks a good option after getting the English page.
https://www.kontaktmobile.co.uk/shop
Derek
Old April 6th 13, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Derek F wrote:
[...]

The latter will have the advantage that it should work in a handset locked
to O2 / Tesco

Old April 6th 13, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

Derek F wrote:
[...]

Tesco have a minimum 5 monthly rate.
http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mo...t/bundles.aspx
Derek
Old April 6th 13, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Derek F wrote:
[...]

What Mark was saying is that if your handset is locked to Tesco, or O2
then the GiffGaff sim should work, Vodafone (Kontakt) would not work.
Of course, if your phone is not locked you can put a sim for any network
in it.

GHiffGaff also allow you to have a monthly bundle, or just data, for any
month, there are no GiffGaff contracts.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old April 6th 13, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

Derek F wrote:
[...]

No, it's unlocked. I switched to Tesco as there were a lot of loaded SIM
cards going cheap on Ebay at the time.
I will not use it enough to need a monthly bundle
John
Old April 8th 13, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Derek F wrote:

snip
The latter will have the advantage that it should work in a handset
locked to O2 / Tesco

Some Tesco handsets are GID1 simlocked to Tesco sims

My Kontakt Sim works in my Vodafone locked Nokia 6500c

But some Vodafone handsets are also GID1 sim locked

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk