BT Infinity and VPN

Old April 6th 13, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Prisca

Default BT Infinity and VPN

Hi

I'm hoping someone here will be able to offer me some insight into a
problem I'm having. I'm a former Be user who jumped ship to BT Infinity
a couple of weeks ago. On the whole, I'm quite pleased with it, except
for a couple of irritations.

The main one at the moment is that I seem unable to use my VPN -
Giganews Vyprvpn, with the service. It worked flawlessly on Be, but
despite port forwarding on the Homehub 3 box, it refuses to connect. I
get predominantly error 720: *720* (No PPP Control Protocols Configured)
and 691: Access denied because username and/or password is invalid on
the domain. The login details I'm using are correct.

I've spent most of the afternoon searching for answers, even resorting
to emailing the VPN helpline, but so far they are not proving too helpful.

I think part of the problem is that I initially installed the cd that
came with BT Infinity. Big mistake! As soon as I realised what a load of
rubbish it is I uninstalled it and lost all internet connection
altogether. I had to reinstall my network adapters to get connected
again. I later found a service called Motivation running in the
background, which didn't get uninstalled, which seems to be a part of
BT's monitoring system. I suspect that there is probably something else
lurking that I haven't tracked down yet, but in any event it seems to
have screwed my system.

If anyone is using Vyprvpn on Infinity, I would be grateful for any
suggestions as to how to get mine to work but suggestions are welcome
from all. I think possibly a different router might be the answer, but I
can't afford it at the moment.

Thanks
Prisca
Old April 6th 13, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Prisca brought next idea :
Hi

I'm hoping someone here will be able to offer me some insight into a problem
I'm having. I'm a former Be user who jumped ship to BT Infinity a couple of
weeks ago. On the whole, I'm quite pleased with it, except for a couple of
irritations.

The main one at the moment is that I seem unable to use my VPN - Giganews
Vyprvpn, with the service. It worked flawlessly on Be, but despite port
forwarding on the Homehub 3 box, it refuses to connect.

Erm....what ar you port forwarding...& why? This is an outbound VPN
connection, not inbound.

Could this be relveant to your problem
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16737/kw/web%20address%20help%5B/c/346,407,411

I get predominantly
error 720: *720* (No PPP Control Protocols Configured) and 691: Access denied
because username and/or password is invalid on the domain. The login details
I'm using are correct.

Does the BT router allow for VPN passthrough?

I'd delete the vpn connection and start from scratch. Start attempting
a PPTP connection rather that IPSEC.

Can you plug the Openreach VDSL Modem directly in to your PC and create
a "dial-up" connection for the internet if you know your username and
password? (make sure your firewall's on)

Old April 6th 13, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Prisca expressed precisely :
I would be grateful for any
suggestions as to how to get mine to work but suggestions are welcome from
all.

I seem to remember that lowering the MTU on the PC could be a
consideration to use VPN effectively on FTTC

Old April 7th 13, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Prisca

On 06/04/2013 22:45, Jono wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply.

I port forwarded because I found somewhere on the net the suggestion to
do so. Don't know if it has made any difference as it doesn't work with
or without it.

As far as I know, the Homehub allows VPN pass through, and I can connect
to my workplace using the Cisco vpn client. It's just the Vyprvpn I'm
having trouble with.

The web address is already turned off. That was one of the first things
I checked.

The vpn connection is using pptp. I've also tried L2TP with no luck.

Unfortunately, it's not feasible to do a direct connection due to where
the router is installed.

I've lowered the MTU to 1400. Sadly, nothing seems to be working, but
thanks for your help.

Cheers
Prisca
Old April 7th 13, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

[...]

Have you tried any of the alternative Vyprvpn server addresses? Can you
ping them? Can you try using the IP of the Vyprvpn server, rather than
its FQDN?

I take it it's a Giganews account you're using? Have you tried their
little application? http://www.giganews.com/vyprvpn/windows/

Old April 7th 13, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Prisca wrote:

Hi

I'm hoping someone here will be able to offer me some insight into a
problem I'm having. I'm a former Be user who jumped ship to BT Infinity
a couple of weeks ago. On the whole, I'm quite pleased with it, except
for a couple of irritations.

[snip detail]

I use a laptop with a VPN client configured to give me access to my home
network when I am away.

So far it's worked wherever I connect from; some sites use professional
ISPs such as A&A or Zen, but others use the likes of Utility Warehouse -
and from all of them I can connect OK.

I visited a site with a Virgin cable connection - recently upgraded and
downloads at 60 mbits/sec .... BUT, I can't get my VPN to work there -
it fails with a timeout message. My guess is that Virgin block the VPN
traffic.

Perhaps BT infinity does the same.

If your VPN is set up on a laptop, can you try it on sombody else's
connection so you have confidence that your settings are correct?

Then try it somewhere that uses FTTC provided by a professional ISP
rather than by BT ????

--
Graham J

Old April 7th 13, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Prisca

On 07/04/2013 08:15, Jono wrote:

[...]

That's what I'm trying to get to work.

It seems that there is a problem with some of my system files either
missing or damaged. I can only put that down to the BT disc that comes
with the Homehub. My own fault, I should have known better than to just
let it install. All I wanted to do was to see what was on it, but you
had to install it to do that. It caused problems with my network
adapters when I uninstalled it and I had to reinstall those to get a
connection. I suspect it's taken out a few other essentials as well.

Looks like I might be heading for a repair install.

Cheers for the replies
Prisca
Old April 7th 13, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

On 07/04/2013 11:47, Prisca wrote:
On 07/04/2013 08:15, Jono wrote:

[...]

Rather than a re-install why dont you uninstall the BT software (and
anything that was installed with it) first and see if that fixes the
problems. I dont have Infinity but often these CDs arent required and
are only there to "help" people who cant do any of the configuration
themselves.

If you go into install/uninstall software in windows control panel and
sort the installed software by date (by clicking on the top of the date
column) you'll be able to see if it installed anything else on the same
day (like 3rd party firewall software etc)
Roger.
Old April 7th 13, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
the dog from that film you saw

On 07/04/2013 10:10, Graham J wrote:
Prisca wrote:

[...]

no problems using vyprvpn on virgin here.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old April 7th 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Prisca

On 07/04/2013 08:15, Jono wrote:

[...]

Hi Roger

It was uninstalled 15 minutes after installing it. That's what's caused
the problem. It seems to have corrupted my network adaptors when I
uninstalled it.

Rgds Prisca