Looking for multi-website hosting recommendations

Old April 12th 13, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.sys.mac
Justin C

Default Looking for multi-website hosting recommendations

Cross posted to:
uk.telecom.broadband
uk.comp.sys.mac

Followups set to:
uk.telecom.broadband

I've cross posted because I've seen a similar number
of threads on both groups over the last twelve
months, and I believe there are many who don't follow
both groups, and I want to get the best response I
can. Thank you for your patience.

I host my own web-site/blog, and I have a friend who
wants me to manage his site/blog. There may be other
friends who want the same once they've seen the
first.

I bought some 'professional' web-hosting with one
company that I believed would allow me to host
multiple sites under that one umbrella. It turns out
that I was wrong, and to upgrade I'm looking at
500GBP / year for an account that allows me to do
what I wish.

What I need from an account is:
to be able to host multiple domains.
to be able to run WordPress in each account:
(PHP 5.2.4, MySQL 5, mod_rewrite for Apache)
ftp for uploading.

The domains don't need to be registered through the
account, but it would be useful if this was possible,
along with access to the DNS settings should I set
the site up and then the user want to transfer
elsewhere.

Seeing is this isn't a business and I'm not looking
to start one, I don't want to spend 500 quid on it.
Can you recommend a hosting account that meets my
needs?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old April 12th 13, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sara

In article ,
Justin C wrote:

[...]

GoDaddy will do what you want for less than 100 a year. I think when I
did this it worked out at about 6 per month.

--
Sara

cats cats cats cats cats
Old April 12th 13, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/04/13 13:16, Justin C wrote:
[...]

Justin. The most cost effective way to do this, is to purchase your very
own virtual server. Install Linux on it and set it up exactly the way
you want it.

I do this for about 240 per annum, and what goes on it is whatever I
need to get the job done. in my case LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP)

I run about 15 sites/domains in it - all lowish traffic bar one, which
is medium. Bandwidth and CPU is immense, but RAM and disc is not. BUT
384Mbytre of RAM is enough as is 20Gbyte of disk.

Domain registration is done via 123-reg which allows me to either point
the domain at my own DNS server or more easily to point the sites web
servers at my virtual server.

I handle all my own email. Using exim on the server.

Access to the server is via iPtables firewall, and I have full access
from my *fixed IP address* using samba or NFS to mount the enter web
server as a remote file system - I don't need FTP, but that works as well.

I can install anything on it - there is custom C code and many weird and
wonderful things running there..wordpress would be an option, though I
have written my own blogging tools instead.

If you are prepared to learn how to administer a remote linux server via
a command line, it is the easiest and most cost effective way of gaining
all of what you want for relatively small costs.

But you have to learn how to set all the things you need up - ssh
access, ftp, iptables apache, php, mysql, samba etc etc.

Very happy to assist if you decide to go that route..once set up there
is almost no admin to be done. But if its days I might cahrge you for
the consultancy :-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old April 12th 13, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:42:20 +0100, Sara
wrote:

GoDaddy will do what you want for less than 100 a year. I think when I
did this it worked out at about 6 per month.

I also recommend GoDaddy. My three web sites cost $9.95 a month for
the lot. They do everything. It's a bit of hard work telling them what
you don't want!

Steve

Old April 12th 13, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Justin C wrote:
What I need from an account is:
to be able to host multiple domains.
to be able to run WordPress in each account:
(PHP 5.2.4, MySQL 5, mod_rewrite for Apache)
ftp for uploading.

TsoHost will do this for you, excellent support, amazingly cheap for
what they offer.

The domains don't need to be registered through the
account, but it would be useful if this was possible,
along with access to the DNS settings should I set
the site up and then the user want to transfer
elsewhere.

Yes, Tsohost can do all this.

You can use their Lite account for a few sites, 15/year for 2 sites. Or
Standard for 2.99/month for 4 sites, or 'pro' for 4.99/month for 6
sites. You can mix and match the accounts to get the number of sites you
need with all on the same cPanel type admin.

--
Chris Green
Old April 13th 13, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Sture

In article ,
Justin C wrote:

I host my own web-site/blog, and I have a friend who
wants me to manage his site/blog. There may be other
friends who want the same once they've seen the
first.

I bought some 'professional' web-hosting with one
company that I believed would allow me to host
multiple sites under that one umbrella. It turns out
that I was wrong, and to upgrade I'm looking at
500GBP / year for an account that allows me to do
what I wish.

What I need from an account is:
to be able to host multiple domains.
to be able to run WordPress in each account:
(PHP 5.2.4, MySQL 5, mod_rewrite for Apache)
ftp for uploading.

I am not in the UK so cannot recommend anyone there myself but 500 is
way too much for what you want.

I started out with what you need (maximum of 10 websites, unlimited
subdomains, 10 MySQL databases. 10 GB disk) for about 6.50 a month and
later upgraded that to a better package (100 domains, 100 MySQL
databases, 100GB disk, and ssh access) at 17.50 a month. That also
throws in unlimited email accounts for domains I host there.

The domains can be registered using another registrar or via the ISP.

Do avoid the ultra cheap Yank hosting solutions though. I gather these
can be slow and unreliable.

--
Paul Sture
Old April 13th 13, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 13/04/13 16:16, Paul Sture wrote:
In article ,
Justin C wrote:

[...]

Godaddy was a complete disaster the other week for example.

Old April 13th 13, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Justin C" wrote in message

What I need from an account is:
to be able to host multiple domains.
to be able to run WordPress in each account:
(PHP 5.2.4, MySQL 5, mod_rewrite for Apache)
ftp for uploading.

We do exactly that, via 1&1, for about 100 inc VAT, per annum. You could
probably meet your requirement on their cheaper packages (36 and 72 in
VAT, per annum).

PA

Old April 14th 13, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Justin C wrote:

[...]

http://www.b4uindia.com/linux_web_hosting.htm

After you do the currency conversion, prices seem
some of the lowest.

Old April 14th 13, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

GoDaddy will do what you want for less than 100 a year. I think when I
did this it worked out at about 6 per month.

I also recommend GoDaddy. My three web sites cost $9.95 a month for
the lot. They do everything. It's a bit of hard work telling them what
you don't want!

Me too - they got fast access to upload stuff into their servers
which I find is absolutely and extremely important when you are in a hurry
to push gigabyte size files out to clients.