Automatic line testing? Slightly long but a simple question at theend.

Old April 25th 13, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Newshound

Default Automatic line testing? Slightly long but a simple question at theend.

I live 500 metres from an ADSL 2+ exchange. But that is at the other
side of the town centre, and I could belive my actual wiring run is
longer, also the phone lines in our street (most of the buildings
pre-date Faraday) are not good: noisy and prone to disappearing in wet
weather.

For far too long I have been putting up with 800 kb/s. But, I have two
land lines at the moment and have just got a Plusnet account set up on
the other one, and they forecast 18 to 20 Mb/s. When it first turned on
I was getting 9 Mb/s but the IP Profile was rapidly turned down to 250
kb/s giving me typically 200.

Of course I have Plusnet on the case, the profile is back up to 11.8
Mb/s and interleaving is due to come on any time now. Plusnet seem to be
doing all the right things. I'm not particularly asking about the
technicalities of ADSL, just including detail to provide the overall
picture.

I suspect there is still something fundamentally wrong with the wiring
before the master socket. Although I am getting 11 Mb/s as indicated by
the testers most of the time, I have had at least two periods of half an
hour or more in the past three days where the speed has dropped to
essentially nothing (although the sync light was still showing on the
router). Also, even when the testers are showing a decent download and
upload rate there are times when it takes 10 - 20 seconds to get the
first loading of a normally fast site like Google or the BBC, and often
5 - 10 seconds for each link (again on normally responsive sites like
eBay and Amazon).

For house layout reasons the new router is in the hall at the moment,
and not particularly accessible for testing, but I have an XP netbook
there temporarily with a cable connection to the router, which goes
straight into the master socket with the faceplate removed. And I *do*
have a filter. I'd rather not cable the router into the "main" house
network until I am confident that the new line is useable. If I can't
get at least one of them working I'm tempted to dump both the land lines
and go over to 3G for data (which is normally fast and reliable).

What I would like to do is to check the line status automatically, say
by loading a site every few minutes and logging the result (to simulate
normal internet use). If I could actually run a speed test that would be
nice, but not essential. I havn't done any real coding since the 1980s
(FORTRAN, BASIC, and Pascal) so I am not up to speed with modern tools.

But I don't think it would take me long to write something *if I knew
the best place to start*. Any suggestions (preferably free or open
source, but I don't mind paying reasonable prices if there is something
which will do the job. I'd prefer to run it on the XP box but I do have
an iPad and a (low spec) Android tablet if there are any apps which do
this already.

TIA
Old April 25th 13, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Flop

On 25/04/2013 20:42, newshound wrote:
[...]

To comment on the first part of your question, I suspect that poor
wiring/terminals between exchange and house is far more common than
suspected.

If there is a problem with line speed, the reaction of Openreach is
always to start with the master socket and assume that there is a
problem on your side.

My Plusnet home page quotes:

"Estimated line speed:
47Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)"

"Current line speed:
31.2 Mb "

[Profile is actually 24.7Mbps]

At one point my speed was down to a consistent 15Mbps.

Plusnet sent an engineer out. "It's your router. Can't be working properly."

Disconnected and bypassed the router. No different.

Eventually the fourth engineer went outside. "Its your dropwire". That
did make a difference.

He also looked at the pole wiring. "Aluminium".

So I gather that 'estimate' refers to a calculated value based on best
conditions.

Either BT have no idea what state their wiring is - or they will not
inform ISPs.

Flop

Old April 25th 13, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Graham J

newshound wrote:
[snip]

Google for RouterStats. Buy or borrow a router that will work with it.
You can then log sync speed and SNR margin.

Every ISP I have dealt with, and every router I have used, has suffered
at times from a problem that results in almost negligible download
speed. At these times the routers report the same sync speed, SNR
margin, and loop loss as they normally show when working at full
performance.

Pinging a website such as www.bbc.co.uk results in a groups of a few
replies interspersed with a dozen or more failures.

If the router is configured to respond to pings and the ISP provides a
static IP address, pinging the router from elsewhere on the internet
shows the same intermittent replies.

I use a script running on an old PC to monitor a couple of dozen client
routers. Generally these routers reply to ping during the working day,
but sometimes several of them (not necessarily geographically
associated) will fail to respond for an hour or more during the midnight
to 6am period. I imagine this is because BT are working on their network.

Sometimes, after a significant break in connectivity overnight, a router
will exhibit the intermittent ping response; and the user will report
inability to get most websites.

Rebooting the router always restores normal performance.

---------------

Plusnet should be able to show you a log of all the disconnections. If
there are more disconnections than one or two a week (excluding
extenuating curcumstances such as nearby lightning) then Plusnet should
accept that there is a reliability problem, and get Openreach out to
investigate.

--
Graham J

Old April 25th 13, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown

[...]

Before you write anything see if routerstats lite (free) will shed any
more info or the more detailed German one whose name escapes me. Check
out the thread in uk.telecom.broadband about signal to noise diurnal
variation for chapter and verse on available diagnostics and their
interpretation. Basically check what sync speed you are getting and how
many of each sort of errors or line drops.

Also keep an eye out for OpenReach vans. Round here they break an ADSL
connection for every one they fix - at least it feels like that!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 25th 13, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Peter

[...]

Take a look at JD's auto speed tester at http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/

I have this checking my line every 30 minutes but I believe it can
operate more frequently if required. Sits in the background.

Peter
Old April 25th 13, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Newshound

On 25/04/2013 21:52, Peter wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that looks like *exactly* what I want. The RouterTec link
suggested elsewhere is obviously a mine of information too, probably a
bit more than I need!

Old April 25th 13, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

On 25/04/2013 20:42, newshound wrote:

I suspect there is still something fundamentally wrong with the wiring
before the master socket. Although I am getting 11 Mb/s as indicated by
the testers most of the time, I have had at least two periods of half an
hour or more in the past three days where the speed has dropped to
essentially nothing (although the sync light was still showing on the
router). Also, even when the testers are showing a decent download and
upload rate there are times when it takes 10 - 20 seconds to get the
first loading of a normally fast site like Google or the BBC, and often
5 - 10 seconds for each link (again on normally responsive sites like
eBay and Amazon).

It can be instructive to look at the CRC error rate in these cases.
Sometimes you can get a rapid throughput of errored frames and not much
else.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 26th 13, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

Re post your question in the plusnet.service.customer-feedback where
there is plenty of expertise. You need to do some basic checks in a
systematic maner to solve your problem.

--
Peter Crosland
Old April 26th 13, 04:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Alan

On 25/04/2013 22:21, newshound wrote:

Thanks, that looks like *exactly* what I want. The RouterTec link
suggested elsewhere is obviously a mine of information too, probably a
bit more than I need!

Another vote for Router Stats lite, which is run on your PC continually
logging sync speed and line noise as reported by your router.
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/betatesters.htm

Old April 26th 13, 06:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Martin Brown
escribió:

the more detailed German one whose name escapes me. Check
out the thread in uk.telecom.broadband about signa

DMT.

http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

--
(\_/)