Switching router off overnight

Old April 29th 13, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default Switching router off overnight

There has been an interesting thread running for some days on uk.d-i-y
about the consequences or lack of them, of switching a router off at
night (see OT: Myth or true?). The current consensus seems to be that
with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

What are your thoughts on what appears to have been a slightly
contentious subject.
--
rbel
Old April 29th 13, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:45:00 +0100, rbel wrote:

There has been an interesting thread running for some days on uk.d-i-y
about the consequences or lack of them, of switching a router off at
night (see OT: Myth or true?). The current consensus seems to be that
with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

What are your thoughts on what appears to have been a slightly
contentious subject.

The two routers I've had are/were always turned off
at night. Never caused problems with either over a ten
year period.

--

:: Jim ::

I survived Thatcher )
Old April 29th 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

rbel (for it is he) wrote:

with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

Absent an official statement from BT, all anyone can do is speculate, but I
would say that it's unlikely they'd have their DLM tuned to reduce speed on
lines that only have a single disconnect/reconnect per day. They would
surely be looking for tens or hundreds per time_period.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:30:44 up 45 days, 12:26, 5 users, load average: 0.57, 0.32, 0.30

Old April 29th 13, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

rbel wrote:
There has been an interesting thread running for some days on uk.d-i-y
about the consequences or lack of them, of switching a router off at
night (see OT: Myth or true?). The current consensus seems to be that
with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

What are your thoughts on what appears to have been a slightly
contentious subject.

A client has a long and - during daytime - noisy line, on G.DMT. I have
the router configured to reboot itself at 10pm daily. If the sync speed
has been knocked down by a noise spike during the day then it recovers
to something consistently reasonable.

The ISP is A&A and initially we had the line configured for
ADSL2+(G.992.5) but it was very unreliable. Reducing the line spec. to
G.DMT gave it much better stability.

Current figures:

Up = 640k
Down = 1790k
SNR margin = 16dB
Loop loss = 61dB

RX error rate 0.06%

So a daily power off should not make any difference.

--
Graham J

Old April 30th 13, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 29/04/2013 21:34, alexd wrote:
rbel (for it is he) wrote:

with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

Absent an official statement from BT, all anyone can do is speculate, but I
would say that it's unlikely they'd have their DLM tuned to reduce speed on
lines that only have a single disconnect/reconnect per day. They would
surely be looking for tens or hundreds per time_period.

A few tens per day is certainly enough to enter the spiral of death on
sync rate and BRAS getting ever slower until they find the line fault.

I suspect if you turn your modem on and off enough times in a day and do
it for two or three days you could empirically discover the threshold
say starting at five per day and doubling until it has some effect. I
have no intention of trying this, nor would I recommend it as switching
electronics on and off tends to shorten its life.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 30th 13, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Martin Brown wrote:

I suspect if you turn your modem on and off enough times in a day and do
it for two or three days you could empirically discover the threshold
say starting at five per day and doubling until it has some effect. I
have no intention of trying this, nor would I recommend it as switching
electronics on and off tends to shorten its life.

Just unplug it from the line ...

Old April 30th 13, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 29/04/2013 21:55, Graham J wrote:
rbel wrote:
There has been an interesting thread running for some days on uk.d-i-y
about the consequences or lack of them, of switching a router off at
night (see OT: Myth or true?). The current consensus seems to be that
with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

What are your thoughts on what appears to have been a slightly
contentious subject.

A client has a long and - during daytime - noisy line, on G.DMT. I have
the router configured to reboot itself at 10pm daily. If the sync speed
has been knocked down by a noise spike during the day then it recovers
to something consistently reasonable.

Assuming they have lunch you might get a slightly faster sync rate
rebooting at midday when the SNR is about as good as it ever gets.

The ISP is A&A and initially we had the line configured for
ADSL2+(G.992.5) but it was very unreliable. Reducing the line spec. to
G.DMT gave it much better stability.

Current figures:

Up = 640k
Down = 1790k
SNR margin = 16dB
Loop loss = 61dB

RX error rate 0.06%

So a daily power off should not make any difference.

Blimey what are they on? Twenty miles of ancient rural wet string?
The uplink speed is surprisingly high is that a deliberate choice?

If they are in town and don't use too much bandwidth they might well be
better off trying 3G MyFi at least for some things. I get 3G at 10Mbps
in Manchester and 5Mbps in my extremely borderline rural location.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 30th 13, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

rbel (for it is he) wrote:

with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

Absent an official statement from BT, all anyone can do is speculate,
but I
would say that it's unlikely they'd have their DLM tuned to reduce
speed on
lines that only have a single disconnect/reconnect per day. They would
surely be looking for tens or hundreds per time_period.

A few tens per day is certainly enough to enter the spiral of death on
sync rate and BRAS getting ever slower until they find the line fault.

yes. when my router started going AWOL and all I could get was 20 mins
between reboots my margin went up to 15db and the best I could get was
2k5 BRAS.

I stuck in a new router and asked the ISP to do a retrain. Now its in
6dB and around 6.5k

I suspect if you turn your modem on and off enough times in a day and
do it for two or three days you could empirically discover the
threshold say starting at five per day and doubling until it has some
effect. I have no intention of trying this, nor would I recommend it
as switching electronics on and off tends to shorten its life.

yes and no.

Depends on the electronics.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old April 30th 13, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:45:00 +0100, rbel wrote:

There has been an interesting thread running for some days on uk.d-i-y
about the consequences or lack of them, of switching a router off at
night (see OT: Myth or true?). The current consensus seems to be that
with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

What are your thoughts on what appears to have been a slightly
contentious subject.

All my system, including the router, is switched off every night. So
far as I can tell it takes no time to recover when switched back on.

Steve

Old April 30th 13, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 29/04/2013 20:45, rbel wrote:
There has been an interesting thread running for some days on uk.d-i-y
about the consequences or lack of them, of switching a router off at
night (see OT: Myth or true?). The current consensus seems to be that
with a rate adaptive DSL connection, switching off once every 24
hours, where the connection is generally stable, will not have adverse
effects.

What are your thoughts on what appears to have been a slightly
contentious subject.

Personally I'd suggest against it even though it shouldn't have any
impact on DLM etc.

If you switch off every night, you're increasing the number of line
retrains. Each time the line has to sync up again there's the potential
for something to cause it to connect at a lower-than-usual rate e.g. a
spike of external interference.

If you have a problem with the line that needs reporting to your ISP,
the disconnections/reconnection every night aren't going to help them
diagnose the problem. Certain line tests require the kit to be switched
on and plugged in. If the issue is a dropping connection then it can
help to see the behaviour of the line when it's not in use and
everybody's asleep.

Just a couple of reasons that spring to mind.