Wireless from NTE5 socket

Old April 30th 13, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default Wireless from NTE5 socket

My current setup is 5 metres of modem cable from a filter attached to
one of two NTE5 sockets in the property which feeds a Billion 7800n
router which uses ethernet to connect pc, printer and external HDD and
wireless for a laptop, internet radio and a couple of other wireless
devices.

The wall the NTE5 is on is to be removed in the near future so the
socket and wiring will need relocating and it has been 'suggested'
that I do away with all the surface BT wiring. My first thought was
running twisted pair cable from another NTE5 in the hallway, via a
built in cupboard into the loft and then down through a second built
in cupboard to a location near my desk where I could refit the
relocated NTE5.

As this would be a job that I really could without having at the
moment I wondered about using wireless from the hallway NTE5 - is
relocating the router to this position the only option or is there
another more simple way to achieve the same sort of performance I get
from my current setup.
--
rbel
Old April 30th 13, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/04/13 18:47, rbel wrote:
[...]

wherever possible don't use wifi, do use CAT 5X

It's slightly easier to move a BT junction box over twisted pair than it
is to wire and terminate for ethernet, so simply get down and DO it.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old May 1st 13, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:23:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 30/04/13 18:47, rbel wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the response. Other than the potential for
interference is there a particular reason for not using wireless-n?

Old May 1st 13, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

On 30/04/13 18:47, rbel wrote:
[...]

Of course not, wi-fi is great for connecting your devices to your
router especially if those devices are laptops, and in the case of
tablets and smartphones you don't get any choice.

But AIUI, the question you are asking is extending the phone line to
relocate the router, that can only be hardwired.

The question I have is why have you got more than one NTE5 on your
line? Extension sockets are supposed to be non-master types

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 1st 13, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Wed, 01 May 2013 21:09:50 +0100, Graham. wrote:

wherever possible don't use wifi, do use CAT 5X

Many thanks for the response. Other than the potential for
interference is there a particular reason for not using wireless-n?

Of course not, wi-fi is great for connecting your devices to your
router especially if those devices are laptops, and in the case of
tablets and smartphones you don't get any choice.

But AIUI, the question you are asking is extending the phone line to
relocate the router, that can only be hardwired.

The question I have is why have you got more than one NTE5 on your
line? Extension sockets are supposed to be non-master types

One of the two NTE5 sockets was used for a business line but I
understand that it is now wired (by Openreach) as an extension from
the original home NTE5 in the hallway. This is the socket which
currently feeds my router etc and needs to be removed as the wall it
is located on is being taken down.

My thought was to plug the router straight into the hallway NTE5 and
get a decent wireless-n adaptor to feed my pc, printer and external
HDD which are currently fed via ethernet from the router.
--
rbel
Old May 1st 13, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

rbel considered Wed, 01 May 2013 16:54:06 +0100 the perfect time to
write:

wrote:

On 30/04/13 18:47, rbel wrote:
[...]

It's not just interference.
Speed of WiFi degrades rapidly with distance and obstructions, and
it's contended - that is, the same chunk of bandwidth is shared among
all uses (so the stream of data coming from the router to the PC, and
from the PC to the networked hdd, and from the PC to the router, are
all sharing). You may even be sharing the same bandwidth with your
neighbours if there aren't enough channels available locally to each
have your own.
Cat5x can be full duplex switched gigabit (with only little care in
equipment selection) which means that each stream of data has a whole
gigabit per second to play with.
It's inherently more secure, way more reliable, and faster. Why on
earth wouldn't you use it?

Old May 1st 13, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 01 May 2013 22:24:10 +0100, rbel wrote:

[...]

The "decent wireless-n adapter" would be a wireless bridge with three
Ethernet ports to do that. Personally I wouldn't do it that way I
would extend the phone line.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 2nd 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Wed, 01 May 2013 22:28:07 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the advice to date.

The distance the wireless-n would need to cover between the relocated
router and pc etc would be 4 metres, through one partition wall. The
networked hdd is only used for weekly backup so sharing would
primarily be limited to the data to and from the pc.

I have a problem with shoulders and neck movement so d-i-y is
restricted to the minimum at the moment, hence looking for a simple
plug in solution.

If it is the consensus is that my proposal to use wireless-n rather
than a revised wired extension will result in noticeable drop in
speed/reliability, I will get someone in to do the rewire for me. Is
there any marked advantage of using Cat5x over CW1308 twisted pair
over a ten metre run between the original NTE5 and the current
position of my router - for ADSL?
--
rbel
Old May 2nd 13, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

wrote:

[...]

Even that distance may not work with N, depending on what is in the wall
etc.

If you are doing backups, unless there isn't much data, WiFi can be
quiet sluggish.

I have a problem with shoulders and neck movement so d-i-y is
restricted to the minimum at the moment, hence looking for a simple
plug in solution.

If it is the consensus is that my proposal to use wireless-n rather
than a revised wired extension will result in noticeable drop in
speed/reliability, I will get someone in to do the rewire for me. Is
there any marked advantage of using Cat5x over CW1308 twisted pair
over a ten metre run between the original NTE5 and the current
position of my router - for ADSL?

I would suggest you look at Powerline Ethernet.
At my home I have the router and PSTN presentation in the living room
and the home office is at the other end of the house. I get a proper
80-100Mb between the two, whereas wireless-N gets me about 30ish

Old May 2nd 13, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

I have a similar problem, in that, although the BT line comes into the
house in the room I am currently using as an office, it wends it way
all over the place to the other end of the house before ending in a
socket. Hence my wireless router has to be at the wrong end of the
house.

I solved this by buying a second wireless router for this end of the
house and having it act as a client bridge. The NAS sever and the
router are at the far end, and everything else this end. I get pretty
slow ADSL speeds anyway, and everything each end is connected via
Gigabit networking, but the client bridge is Wifi N, so the only thing
that is significantly slowed down is nightly back-ups to the NAS. I
hope to relocate the socket in time, but this is a perfectly workable
arrangement for now.

However, I did have to make sure that the second router was capable of
being configured as a client-bridge, which involved installing an
open-source firmware capable of such functionality.