How do I tell what IP my domain mailserver resolves to?

Old May 2nd 13, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

Default How do I tell what IP my domain mailserver resolves to?

I host my own mail server (Exim on a *nix box). The MX records
of my domain point to the public IP address (fixed) of my
broadband connection, and the hardware firewall forwards SMTP
connections to the appropriate machine. I receive mail, that's
all fine.

Just recently, however, mail from at least two sources is not
arriving. It's not in my junk mail, and my mailserver logs
don't show any incoming connection with mail from the expected
origins.

The changes I have made recently are to hosting of my
web-site, and I've changed the DNS for that only.

My domain is purestblue.com and my MX points to
81.187.178.163. Any suggestions as to how I might find what's
gone wrong so I can fix it?

One other point that may be relevant. The messages I haven't
been receiving are from hosts on the same ISP.

Any help to sort this will be gratefully received.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 2nd 13, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
Justin C wrote:

[...]

Just scattering a few thoughs ... who runs your secondary MX 195.69.95.131 ?
Are any of the missing mails ending up there ? Does it have the correct
forwarding IP address ?

Nick
Old May 2nd 13, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Justin C wrote:
Just recently, however, mail from at least two sources is not
arriving. It's not in my junk mail, and my mailserver logs
don't show any incoming connection with mail from the expected
origins.

Do the senders get a bounce message?

One other point that may be relevant. The messages I haven't
been receiving are from hosts on the same ISP.

The same ISP as each other, the same as yours, or both?

I've got what sounds like pretty much the same setup as you. Do drop me
an email (reply-to is valid) and maybe we can compare notes.

Chris
Old May 2nd 13, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Justin C wrote:
Just recently, however, mail from at least two sources is not
arriving. It's not in my junk mail, and my mailserver logs
don't show any incoming connection with mail from the expected
origins.

You've got two MX records:
purestblue.com. 86320 IN MX 10 mail.purestblue.com.
purestblue.com. 86320 IN MX 20 mx2.nsnoc.com.

It's possible that the delivery attempts went to mx2.nsnoc.com, so you
should try to track that down, too. Maybe temporarily remove that MX
record from the DNS and get your contacts to try sending the messages
again.

Chris
Old May 2nd 13, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 02/05/13 10:04, Justin C wrote:
I host my own mail server (Exim on a *nix box). The MX records
of my domain point to the public IP address (fixed) of my
broadband connection, and the hardware firewall forwards SMTP
connections to the appropriate machine. I receive mail, that's
all fine.

Just recently, however, mail from at least two sources is not
arriving. It's not in my junk mail, and my mailserver logs
don't show any incoming connection with mail from the expected
origins.

The changes I have made recently are to hosting of my
web-site, and I've changed the DNS for that only.

My domain is purestblue.com and my MX points to
81.187.178.163.

No it doesnt.

$ dig mx purestblue.com

; DiG 9.8.1-P1 mx purestblue.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30395
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;purestblue.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
purestblue.com. 86400 IN MX 10 mail.purestblue.com.

dig a mail.purestblue.com

; DiG 9.8.1-P1 a mail.purestblue.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8865
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.purestblue.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.purestblue.com. 43200 IN A 81.6.247.208

Looking at your DNS its obvious that something has gone wrong, and the
mail ISP you failed to get mail FROM was the first to pick up on the
wrongess,.

I woud also suggest that you dhould erase te secondary MX DNS record.
almost every mail relay that might send you ail is capable of holding
mail if your server is offline, and there is a better chance that it
will respond to te sender with 'failed to reach' mail target etc...and
warn anyone who has urgent mail that tit hasnt got through

Any suggestions as to how I might find what's
gone wrong so I can fix it?

One other point that may be relevant. The messages I haven't
been receiving are from hosts on the same ISP.

Any help to sort this will be gratefully received.

Justin.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old May 2nd 13, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

On 2013-05-02, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
Justin C wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... That's the domain registrar, if anyone knows the IP of my
SMTP server it's them! I have sent them an email requesting
information on how I login to their web-mail interface so that I
can see if any of my mail is there. I've also asked about POP3
access so I can grab anything that goes to them instead of my SMTP
server.

I'll report back if this doesn't lead to a resolution of the
problem. Thank you for your suggestion, it definitely looks like a
sensible path to investigate.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 2nd 13, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

On 2013-05-02, Chris Davies wrote:
Justin C wrote:
Just recently, however, mail from at least two sources is not
arriving. It's not in my junk mail, and my mailserver logs
don't show any incoming connection with mail from the expected
origins.

Do the senders get a bounce message?

No. So the mail must be going somewhere!

One other point that may be relevant. The messages I haven't
been receiving are from hosts on the same ISP.

The same ISP as each other, the same as yours, or both?

Both.

I've got what sounds like pretty much the same setup as you. Do drop me
an email (reply-to is valid) and maybe we can compare notes.

I'm investigating another path at this time (secondary MX goes to
my domain registrar's mail server - maybe my mail is ending up
there). Thank you for the offer, I shall get back to you if I don't
get anywhere.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 2nd 13, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

On 2013-05-02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/05/13 10:04, Justin C wrote:

[snip]

My domain is purestblue.com and my MX points to
81.187.178.163.

No it doesnt.

[snip]

dig a mail.purestblue.com

; DiG 9.8.1-P1 a mail.purestblue.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8865
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.purestblue.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.purestblue.com. 43200 IN A 81.6.247.208

That IP address is familiar, it's from when I had a Nildram account,
which I terminated as soon as Tiscali bought them. I don't see how
that can be recorded anywhere - obviously it is, but it shouldn't be.

I've never used 'dig' before, but running it against purestblue.com
shows an A record for my new web-hosts. It also has an authority
section for my old web-hosts, naming them as my DNS, which is wrong.
Logging in there (my account hasn't yet expired), I can't even find
DNS settings. I was certain they were with the domain registrar.

Oh, what a big fat hairy mess I seem to have got into!

Looking at your DNS its obvious that something has gone wrong, and the
mail ISP you failed to get mail FROM was the first to pick up on the
wrongess,.

I woud also suggest that you dhould erase te secondary MX DNS record.
almost every mail relay that might send you ail is capable of holding
mail if your server is offline, and there is a better chance that it
will respond to te sender with 'failed to reach' mail target etc...and
warn anyone who has urgent mail that tit hasnt got through

At this time I don't think that will be a solution. First is to
track down why webtapestry.net are still in my DNS in any shape or
form.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old May 2nd 13, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 02/05/13 12:49, Justin C wrote:
On 2013-05-02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I wasn't saying it was a solution, merely that it was an unnecessary
thing to do.

secondary MX dates back to a time when mail servers were often on dial
up, or very unreliable links, and the secondary could at least be
guaranteed to be 'closer' to you than many sender. It was often also
something at your ISP who could be relied upon to detect when you were
finally online and spool mail to you.

These days everybody is online all the time, and a secondary just
inserts another point of failure if you are offline.

I looks like the main problem is someone has resurrected some ancient
DNS records.

OK web tapestry are listed by the root servers as being the boys that
are running your DNS servers.

dig ns purestblue.com

; DiG 9.8.1-P1 ns purestblue.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 18141
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;purestblue.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
purestblue.com. 3600 IN NS DNS.UK.WEBTAPESTRY.NET.
purestblue.com. 3600 IN NS DNS.NL.WEBTAPESTRY.NET.

So f you have transferred the domain away from them, to some other DNS
hosting company, that's your next port of call.

I've seen this happen before once or twice. You THINK they have
transferred the WHOLE domain, but they haven't. They still have the
domain, its just that they have pointed their NS records somewhere else.

Then one day, they revert to pointing them at their own DNS which still
has a stale record from years ago. And bang, its all a total ****ing mess.

Look. this is a full trace

dig +trace ns purestblue.com

; DiG 9.7.3 +trace ns purestblue.com
;; global options: +cmd
.. 185709 IN NS j.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS k.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS g.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS d.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS c.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS e.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS m.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS a.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS h.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS l.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS i.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS f.root-servers.net.
.. 185709 IN NS b.root-servers.net.
;; Received 512 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) in 0 ms

com. 172800 IN NS a.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS b.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS c.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS d.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS e.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS f.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS g.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS h.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS i.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS j.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS k.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS l.gtld-servers.net.
com. 172800 IN NS m.gtld-servers.net.
;; Received 492 bytes from 193.0.14.129#53(k.root-servers.net) in 1 ms

purestblue.com. 172800 IN NS ns1.nsnoc.com.
purestblue.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.nsnoc.com.
;; Received 106 bytes from 192.42.93.30#53(g.gtld-servers.net) in 143 ms

purestblue.com. 3600 IN NS DNS.NL.WEBTAPESTRY.NET.
purestblue.com. 3600 IN NS DNS.UK.WEBTAPESTRY.NET.
;; Received 89 bytes from 195.69.95.114#53(ns2.nsnoc.com) in 12 ms

what that means is that ns[i,,2].nsnoc.com are now telling the world
that web tapestry host your DNS.

And this says....

dig soa purestblue.com

; DiG 9.8.1-P1 soa purestblue.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; -HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 21690
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;purestblue.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
purestblue.com. 43200 IN SOA dns.uk.webtapestry.net.
hostmaster.webtapestry.net. 2013050209 86400 1800 1209600 43200

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
purestblue.com. 2645 IN NS DNS.NL.webtapestry.net.
purestblue.com. 2645 IN NS dns.uk.webtapestry.net.

....that webtapestry also have an authoritative record for your domain.

So whatever you are doing in what you THINK is your DNS server is having
zero effect, because no one is looking there.

running whois on your domain shows

Technical Contact:
John Lyons (JG00038-TR)
Netserve Consultants Ltd
OpTIC Technium
Ffordd William Morgan
St Asaph
Denbighshire
LL17 0JD
GB
phone: +44.08456444194

Record updated on 27-Jun-2011
Record expires on 10-Jun-2013
Record created on 10-Jun-2002

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.nsnoc.com 195.69.95.112
ns2.nsnoc.com 195.69.95.114

which is good., because he presumably is in charge of the name servers
that have delegated your domain to web tapestry.

And is the man you should email/call to get advice and get this sorted.

The problem is that currently HE has delegated the name servers to web
tapestry, and THEY have a stale record for your domain..

Without knowing who or were you are actually trying to modify your DNS I
cant say more than that.

Justin.

Old May 3rd 13, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Justin C

On 2013-05-02, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

But, when it works, it may still be useful for those times when
my net connection is down - I have returned from a holiday before
to find I have no connection, and that it went down the day I
went away.

I looks like the main problem is someone has resurrected some ancient
DNS records.

OK web tapestry are listed by the root servers as being the boys that
are running your DNS servers.

[snip]

purestblue.com. 172800 IN NS ns1.nsnoc.com.
purestblue.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.nsnoc.com.
;; Received 106 bytes from 192.42.93.30#53(g.gtld-servers.net) in 143 ms

purestblue.com. 3600 IN NS DNS.NL.WEBTAPESTRY.NET.
purestblue.com. 3600 IN NS DNS.UK.WEBTAPESTRY.NET.
;; Received 89 bytes from 195.69.95.114#53(ns2.nsnoc.com) in 12 ms

what that means is that ns[i,,2].nsnoc.com are now telling the world
that web tapestry host your DNS.

I have logged in to the current registrar's site (they're the one's
whose DNS servers are ns[1|2].nsnoc.com) and changed my DNS to theirs.
You are correct in that I was tweaking A and MX records where it was
having no effect. Their 'control panel' says allow 24hrs for the
change to take effect. It's almost that now, I didn't note the time
exactly, but I will email them should the change not occur by mid-
day - that'll definitely be 24hrs.

[snip interesting stuff]

So whatever you are doing in what you THINK is your DNS server is having
zero effect, because no one is looking there.

running whois on your domain shows

Technical Contact:
John Lyons (JG00038-TR)
Netserve Consultants Ltd
OpTIC Technium
Ffordd William Morgan
St Asaph
Denbighshire
LL17 0JD
GB
phone: +44.08456444194

Record updated on 27-Jun-2011
Record expires on 10-Jun-2013
Record created on 10-Jun-2002

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.nsnoc.com 195.69.95.112
ns2.nsnoc.com 195.69.95.114

which is good., because he presumably is in charge of the name servers
that have delegated your domain to web tapestry.

It's good in that that's who should be in charge, and he responds to
email.

And is the man you should email/call to get advice and get this sorted.

The problem is that currently HE has delegated the name servers to web
tapestry, and THEY have a stale record for your domain..

Without knowing who or were you are actually trying to modify your DNS I
cant say more than that.

Thank you for your very useful reply. Your knowledge in this area
reveals a gaping hole in mine. I've been running my own domain,
mail server, hosting my own site (until recently), and a whole lot
more for years with no more than an occasional tweak to a DNS
record. As well as revealing to me what the current situation is
you've given an education in 'dig'. Thank you. I hope to report
back here later that the problem has been resolved.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.