Redcare compatibility

Old May 8th 13, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Redcare compatibility

Does anybody know whether Redcare is compatible with ADSL, please?

How is this achieved? Is there any Redcare wiring in the BT master
socket, which the user should disconnect to make any tests required by
the ISP?

Any bad experiences?

A link to authoritative documentation?

TIA

--
Graham J
Old May 8th 13, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 08/05/13 10:30, Graham J wrote:
Does anybody know whether Redcare is compatible with ADSL, please?

IIRC it is not.

How is this achieved? Is there any Redcare wiring in the BT master
socket, which the user should disconnect to make any tests required by
the ISP?

Any bad experiences?

A link to authoritative documentation?

TIA

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old May 8th 13, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 08 May 2013 10:30:20 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Does anybody know whether Redcare is compatible with ADSL, please?

How is this achieved? Is there any Redcare wiring in the BT master
socket, which the user should disconnect to make any tests required by
the ISP?

Any bad experiences?

A link to authoritative documentation?

http://www.redcare.bt.com/Resources/...atibility.html

It's been possible for a long time.
Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me 30 a post
Old May 8th 13, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 08 May 2013 10:30:20 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Does anybody know whether Redcare is compatible with ADSL, please?

How is this achieved? Is there any Redcare wiring in the BT master
socket, which the user should disconnect to make any tests required by
the ISP?

Any bad experiences?

A link to authoritative documentation?

http://www.redcare.bt.com/Resources/...atibility.html

It's been possible for a long time.

OK so the link says it's possible.

In practical terms, how is this achieved?

If my ISP tells me to unplug the lower part of the master socket's
faceplate, and to try with my router plugged directly into the test
socket - does that isolate the Redcare wiring?

If not, how is this a fair test of the BT wiring?

If, on the basis of testing in the master sockets's test point, my ISP
agrees to call out Openreach to fix an ADSL fault; and Openreach finds
that the Redcare wiring and equipment is the cause of the ADSL fault -
who bears the cost of the remedial work?

--
Graham J

Old May 9th 13, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:22:14 +0100, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Also if the Redcare junction box has been fitted away from the alarm
panel, the wiring between them is likely to be alarm wire.

I would also like to know how the comparability is achieved.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 9th 13, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Graham J laid this down on his screen :
Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 08 May 2013 10:30:20 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Does anybody know whether Redcare is compatible with ADSL, please?

How is this achieved? Is there any Redcare wiring in the BT master
socket, which the user should disconnect to make any tests required by
the ISP?

Any bad experiences?

A link to authoritative documentation?

http://www.redcare.bt.com/Resources/...atibility.html

It's been possible for a long time.

OK so the link says it's possible.

In practical terms, how is this achieved?

Usually with problems either on the alarm or ADSL or both.

If my ISP tells me to unplug the lower part of the master socket's faceplate,
and to try with my router plugged directly into the test socket - does that
isolate the Redcare wiring?

No.

If not, how is this a fair test of the BT wiring?

It isn't

If, on the basis of testing in the master sockets's test point, my ISP agrees
to call out Openreach to fix an ADSL fault; and Openreach finds that the
Redcare wiring and equipment is the cause of the ADSL fault - who bears the
cost of the remedial work?

You do.

Old May 10th 13, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

This sounds like the authoritative voice of experience. Thanks.

--
Graham J