O2, Sky, and the never ending mystery of customer service

Old May 13th 13, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

Default O2, Sky, and the never ending mystery of customer service

1) o2 phone me out of the blue last year offering me a simple (I thought) 6.50 a
month retention deal for 12 months. I smell a fish, they say, no, we're just happy
to keep you as a customer. So I agree.

2) Sky deal announced, but I decide to keep going for a while given the price, even
though I'm not a News International kind of person.

3) Last week I got a txt from o2 reminding me to do a top up to get my broadband
discount... 18 a month discounted to 13 if I spend 10 every 3 months. I ignore it
because I thought my deal wasn't tied to that.

4) Today get an email saying next bill 18. I phone the "I wanna quit" dept (at Sky
now) and she says, no you're locked in on a half price deal till November and it's
half of 13 *if* I still top up my phone. Hence 18.

Long story short, she removes the link to my phone, making it 9 a month, which is
cheaper overall as I rarely use my o2 phone.

5) A few minutes later I get a txt welcoming me to my new 12 month contract. Which
wasn't mentioned at all in the previous call. I was under the impression it was
just a variation on the old contract, and she also said there'd be a 40 fee if I
wanted to get out early.

6) I speak to someone else who confirms I just signed up for 12 months, but that no
there isn't a leaving fee. He had no idea when that grace period runs out though.

So I think I'm signed up to "O2" for another 12 months at 9 a month... though
they'll take 18 this month, because it's already in the system, and maybe 0 next
month... so the girl I spoke to earlier said.

Personally I'll believe it when I see it on my bank statement. :-)

If things hadn't got a bit financially tight this year (20% pay cut + sciatica =
unhappy bunny) I'd bugger off to PlusNet right now. But for the time being I just
needed to vent a little.

Consider me vented. I hope!

Andrew McP
Old May 13th 13, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message

[...]

*****

You need to check the distance selling rules for over the phone, I thought
one got 14 days in which to cancel.
If I'm correct cancel the arrangement you made today if you wish to.
Regards
David

Old May 13th 13, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
1) o2 phone me out of the blue last year offering me a simple (I thought)
6.50 a
month retention deal for 12 months. I smell a fish, they say, no, we're
just happy
to keep you as a customer. So I agree.

This was to up the fee from $ky.

2) Sky deal announced, but I decide to keep going for a while given the
price, even
though I'm not a News International kind of person.

Ooops!

3) Last week I got a txt from o2 reminding me to do a top up to get my
broadband
discount... 18 a month discounted to 13 if I spend 10 every 3 months. I
ignore it
because I thought my deal wasn't tied to that.

4) Today get an email saying next bill 18. I phone the "I wanna quit"
dept (at Sky
now) and she says, no you're locked in on a half price deal till November
and it's
half of 13 *if* I still top up my phone. Hence 18.

Long story short

SNIP

Oh dear you are with $ky now.

If you can deal with them by email. Do NOT deal with them by phone.

Otherwise you are back to the bad old days of sending recorded delivery
letters to the SMC (then they could not deny notice)

You may have spotted that many regular posters to this group have
immediately jumped ship once $ky took over their contracts - there is a very
good reason for this...

Consider me vented. I hope!

Andrew McP

Old May 13th 13, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 13/05/2013 15:01, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Oh dear you are with $ky now.

If you can deal with them by email. Do NOT deal with them by phone.

Otherwise you are back to the bad old days of sending recorded delivery
letters to the SMC (then they could not deny notice)

You may have spotted that many regular posters to this group have
immediately jumped ship once $ky took over their contracts - there is a very
good reason for this...

Consider me vented. I hope!

Andrew McP

Virgin also try this trick of trying to lock you into a new 12 month
contract if you vary your package, even after explicitly saying they
won't over the phone.

I think the government should intervene to limit the use of minimum
contract periods. They work against the consumer allowing large
companies to provide inferior services to trapped users.
Old May 14th 13, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 13 May 2013 19:03:15 +0100, Nick
wrote:

Virgin also try this trick of trying to lock you into a new 12 month
contract if you vary your package, even after explicitly saying they
won't over the phone.

Orange did the same to me once. Perhaps they all do it, but I bailed
out of their contract as soon as I could so I no longer need to care.

I think the government should intervene to limit the use of minimum
contract periods. They work against the consumer allowing large
companies to provide inferior services to trapped users.

It would be nice if they did, but they probably won't. The best way to
regulate your phone costs is to do it yourself and not have a contract
at all. Pay as you go makes you think more carefully about which calls
you really need to make, which saves you a lot of money. You also have
the security that you will never be presented with one of those huge
phone bills you sometimes read about in the papers that has been
accidentally or mischievously run up on your behalf without your
knowledge. When I hear what some people spend per month for the use of
their phones, I reflect that I probably spend less per year.

Rod.
Old May 14th 13, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2013 21:12:00 +0100, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

(R. Mark Clayton) wrote:

You may have spotted that many regular posters to this group have
immediately jumped ship once $ky took over their contracts - there is a
very good reason for this...

If it hadn't been for my cheap deal I'd have gone already. But this year
I've taken a 20% pay cut and it looks like sciatica (a truly spectacular
condition I didn't fully appreciate before) looks set to dent my
earnings even more. So I may be backed into a corner here.

I will need to buy a clothes peg for my nose though. It'll make a change
from buying ibuprofen and co-codamol. :-)

Andrew McP

PS Thanks to the other posters too. I'd forgotten about the DSR, which
must apply...
though in this case I'm better off because the deal suits me better at
the expense of being locked in for 6 months longer. Swings and
roundabouts!

Best to hope that Sky can't offer the same features as O2 currently do
and which are vital to your use of broadband, so you can get out of your
contract without penalty (which I believe is termed a frustrated
contract, IANAL).

Indeed, the current things that Sky don't offer me (as a Be Unlimited
customer) are
1.) Fixed IP
2.) Permission to run servers
3.) Use for business purposes

If they stop those then I can go with no early termination charges.
Mind you, the latest missive suggests they are thinking about 1.) and
they will have to do something as my router doesn't do MER.

Old June 22nd 13, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek F

On 13/05/2013 12:39, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
[...]

I phoned o2 when my previous years O2 Home Broadband Premium
expired in March. I spoke of changing to BT The operator put me through
to the Retention department who offered me twelve months free of charge.
I do not have an o2 mobile or phone line.
Derek