Heads up: DynDNS

Old May 17th 13, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Heads up: DynDNS

Dyn have not been offering free DynDNS from their own site for a
while, but existing hosts remained active as long as they were
actually in use.
Now, according to the email they have sent me, that has changed and we
must actively log onto our account every month or it will expire.

Just in case any one does not know, there is another route to get a
free DynDNS and that's via dlinkddns.com once set up you can
administer the account via dyn.com and even add one of their hostnames

Of course it must be stressed that this route is only for people who
have bought a D-link product at some (unspecified) time.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 18th 13, 03:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Graham. wrote:
Dyn have not been offering free DynDNS from their own site for a
while, but existing hosts remained active as long as they were
actually in use.
Now, according to the email they have sent me, that has changed and we
must actively log onto our account every month or it will expire.

Other dynamic DNS providers are available (by the bucketload). So it's only
worth using this wheeze if it would be too painful to switch.

Theo
Old May 19th 13, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harold Finch

On 18 May 2013 02:01:37 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Other dynamic DNS providers are available (by the bucketload). So it's only
worth using this wheeze if it would be too painful to switch.

Unfortunately my router only gives a choice of three DDNS providers, which has
effectively been reduced to two now that Dyn have taken over TZO. Guess I
could hack the firmware of the router though.

I use the dlinkddns method reported by Graham, as although the service is
provided by Dyn for Dlink, it doesn't seem necessary to make a web login every
month to keep it going. Also, you can log into Dyn using the Dlink credentials
to service the account.

Woks for me.
Old May 19th 13, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Other dynamic DNS providers are available (by the bucketload). So it's only
worth using this wheeze if it would be too painful to switch.

Unfortunately my router only gives a choice of three DDNS providers, which has
effectively been reduced to two now that Dyn have taken over TZO. Guess I
could hack the firmware of the router though.

you don't need to use a router
a linux server can be configured to do the same.

I use the dlinkddns method reported by Graham, as although the service is
provided by Dyn for Dlink, it doesn't seem necessary to make a web login every
month to keep it going. Also, you can log into Dyn using the Dlink credentials
to service the account.

Woks for me.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old May 19th 13, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

Other dynamic DNS providers are available (by the bucketload). So it's only
worth using this wheeze if it would be too painful to switch.

Unfortunately my router only gives a choice of three DDNS providers, which has
effectively been reduced to two now that Dyn have taken over TZO. Guess I
could hack the firmware of the router though.

you don't need to use a router
a linux server can be configured to do the same.

I had a program that kept Dyndns updated running on a Windows 98
machine in the days when cheap domestic broadband only came with a USB
modem.
It also connected the modem at bootup.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old May 20th 13, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harold Finch

wrote:

you don't need to use a router
a linux server can be configured to do the same.

That's perfectly true but in this particular application it doesn't suit my
purposes.
Old May 20th 13, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Graham. wrote:

Now, according to the email they have sent me, that has changed and we
must actively log onto our account every month or it will expire.

Could you use a tool like curl to do such a login, from a regularly executed
script?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old May 20th 13, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 20/05/2013 19:55, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
wrote:

Now, according to the email they have sent me, that has changed and we
must actively log onto our account every month or it will expire.

Could you use a tool like curl to do such a login, from a regularly executed
script?

Dunno. The email says " Note that using an update client will no longer
suffice for this monthly login." - whatever that means!

I've set up a diary entry in Outlook to remind me every 30 days.

They're trying to get you to upgrade to a Pro account for 10 USD for the
first year. Doesn't say what it will be for subsequent years.

I only use it once in a while to make sure that the internet connection
at my holiday flat is still live.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old May 21st 13, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Harold Finch considered Mon, 20 May 2013 08:13:11
+0200 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

you don't need to use a router
a linux server can be configured to do the same.

That's perfectly true but in this particular application it doesn't suit my
purposes.

Not even if the Linux server is running on a Raspberry Pi?

You could run the whole lot from a solar cell or two.