FTTC - there is *no* cabinet!!!

Old May 20th 13, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
postmaster @ stejonda

Default FTTC - there is *no* cabinet!!!

I'm having FTTC installed in a couple of days but it occurs to me. All
the BT telephone cables around here come in from the top of a pole not a
cabinet so where is the C that the F arrives at?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old May 20th 13, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I'm having FTTC installed in a couple of days but it occurs to me. All
the BT telephone cables around here come in from the top of a pole not a
cabinet so where is the C that the F arrives at?

Somewhere between the exchange and the pole. HTH.

Old May 20th 13, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

postmaster @ stejonda writted thus:

I'm having FTTC installed in a couple of days but it occurs to me. All
the BT telephone cables around here come in from the top of a pole not a
cabinet so where is the C that the F arrives at?

Same here, ancient overhead cables all round, but I still get average 6.5
mbps...

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old May 20th 13, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 20/05/2013 09:27, Andy Burns wrote:
postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I'm having FTTC installed in a couple of days but it occurs to me. All
the BT telephone cables around here come in from the top of a pole not a
cabinet so where is the C that the F arrives at?

Somewhere between the exchange and the pole. HTH.

Where I live there really is no cabinet - the exchange is that small.

There was an above ground smallish junction box (aka cabinet) at one
time but it didn't survive the hedge flailer one year and the cable ends
afterwards were too short for anything to be left above ground. I expect
hell will freeze over before our exchange gets FTTC enabled.

Weak 3G signal here is capable of twice the speed of my landline ADSL -
enough for streaming HDTV but the 3.5/GB charge rate stings a little.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 20th 13, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Martin Brown wrote:

On 20/05/2013 09:27, Andy Burns wrote:

Somewhere between the exchange and the pole. HTH.

Where I live there really is no cabinet - the exchange is that small.

An "exchange only" line, but can't see BT rushing to provide you with FTTC

There was an above ground smallish junction box (aka cabinet) at one
time but it didn't survive the hedge flailer one year and the cable ends
afterwards were too short for anything to be left above ground. I expect
hell will freeze over before our exchange gets FTTC enabled.

:-(

Old May 20th 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

: I'm having FTTC installed in a couple of days but it occurs to me. All
: the BT telephone cables around here come in from the top of a pole not a
: cabinet so where is the C that the F arrives at?

The face that there are poles makes no difference. There are still
old cabinets - normally near the foot of one of the poles - with (much) newer
FTTC caninets nearby.

Old May 20th 13, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"postmaster @ stejonda" wrote in message

I'm having FTTC installed in a couple of days but it occurs to me. All
the BT telephone cables around here come in from the top of a pole not a
cabinet so where is the C that the F arrives at?

*******

My cabinet is 2 housing estates away and further from the exchange than my
house is.
It is next to the normal cabinet which bears a number, the fibre one says
230 volt on it and a large Fibre poster.
Regards
David

Old May 20th 13, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Hi
Got my cabinet number from here, then walked around for ages to find it
seeing many others all around the area. As I said covered a mile radius
before locating it.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/AD...neNumberOutput

Regards
David

Old May 20th 13, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

C00L. Mine's only got a paper poster
;-)
Old May 20th 13, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Mon, 20 May 2013 15:36:27 +0100
"David" wrote:

Hi
Got my cabinet number from here, then walked around for ages to find
it seeing many others all around the area. As I said covered a mile
radius before locating it.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/AD...neNumberOutput

Regards
David

Interesting. There are no plans for fibre in my area, but that site
gives for my number:

Available: ADSL Max Downstream Speed: Up to 8 Mbps.

Whereas I thought that ADSL Max was not available here, but that my
plain ADSL gave me the 6.3Mbps that I always get when I check.
Strange.

--
Davey.