Oh!!! Plusnet has a newsserver!

Old May 22nd 13, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
postmaster @ stejonda

Default Oh!!! Plusnet has a newsserver!

I hadn't realised, and then when I did I assumed it would only carry
plusnet.* but it appears to carry plenty more. That's rather a nice
surprise.

:-)

(A trouble-free install & downspeed of 73.21Mbps will also do very
nicely!)

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old May 22nd 13, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 22/05/2013 12:38, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I hadn't realised, and then when I did I assumed it would only carry
plusnet.* but it appears to carry plenty more. That's rather a nice
surprise.

:-)

(A trouble-free install & downspeed of 73.21Mbps will also do very nicely!)

Outsourced to Giganews. It carries everything but the binary hierarchies.

Welcome aboard by the way

Old May 22nd 13, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newshound

Default test please ignore

On 22/05/2013 13:23, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 22/05/2013 12:38, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I hadn't realised, and then when I did I assumed it would only carry
plusnet.* but it appears to carry plenty more. That's rather a nice
surprise.

:-)

(A trouble-free install & downspeed of 73.21Mbps will also do very
nicely!)

Outsourced to Giganews. It carries everything but the binary hierarchies.

Welcome aboard by the way

to see if I've set this up right
Old June 15th 13, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice

On Wed, 22 May 2013 13:23:42 +0100, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Welcome aboard by the way

Tried to see a newsgroup on news.plus.net, but the server handshake
failed: "481 Access denied", although I did authorise with my Plusnet
userid & password.

Is different authorisation needed?

--
/\/\aurice
Old June 15th 13, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:07:18 +0000, I wrote:

Is different authorisation needed?

OK - I found a statement on the Plusnet help pages that says NO
authorisation is needed.

So removed the authorisation and tried again.
Result: Same failure - access denied.
--
/\/\aurice

Old June 15th 13, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Maurice Batey wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:07:18 +0000, I wrote:

Is different authorisation needed?

OK - I found a statement on the Plusnet help pages that says NO
authorisation is needed.

So removed the authorisation and tried again.
Result: Same failure - access denied.

Silly Q ... you are connecting the the plusnet news server with your
plusnet internet connection, aren't you?

Old June 15th 13, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 20:46:43 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Silly Q ... you are connecting the the plusnet news server with your
plusnet internet connection, aren't you?

Not silly at all!
Over dinner I realised that the only explanation for failure without
authorisation needed would be that I was, indeed, not using my Plusnet
connection - because I am away from base!

I am so used to being able to access Usenet at large whether I am at base
or away from it...

So one can only follow Plusnet news when at home. Pity.
Why not also when away, with authorisation, as with email?

--
/\/\aurice

Old June 15th 13, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Maurice Batey wrote:

So one can only follow Plusnet news when at home. Pity.
Why not also when away, with authorisation, as with email?

A fellow plusnetter has said he has managed to use news when roaming by
giving "full" plusnet credentials to the news server (it's outsourced to
giganews) but I haven't managed to get it right yet ...

Old June 16th 13, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 15/06/13 18:46, Maurice Batey wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:07:18 +0000, I wrote:

Is different authorisation needed?

OK - I found a statement on the Plusnet help pages that says NO
authorisation is needed.

So removed the authorisation and tried again.
Result: Same failure - access denied.

how are you attempting to access it?

With a web browser?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old June 16th 13, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:41:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

how are you attempting to access it?

Pan newsreader, under Mageia-3.

--
/\/\aurice