Poor upload speed on BT Infinity

Old May 22nd 13, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Poor upload speed on BT Infinity

A friend is on the 'original' (40/10) BT Infinity and has a download
speed of 37 Mbps, upload of 1.5 Mbps.

Two questions - is it true that BT actually upgrade people free of
charge to 'Infinity 2' (80/20) if they ask? And secondly, is there any
'usual' or well-known reason for the poor upload speed of 1.5 Mbps? I'd
have thought that with a download of 37, then the upload would have
been about 6 to 7 Mbps?

Old May 22nd 13, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 22 May 2013 21:57:11 +0100
Dave wrote:

A friend is on the 'original' (40/10) BT Infinity and has a download
speed of 37 Mbps, upload of 1.5 Mbps.

Two questions - is it true that BT actually upgrade people free of
charge to 'Infinity 2' (80/20) if they ask? And secondly, is there
any 'usual' or well-known reason for the poor upload speed of 1.5
Mbps? I'd have thought that with a download of 37, then the upload
would have been about 6 to 7 Mbps?

BT doing something for free? Surely you jest!
--
Davey.
Old May 23rd 13, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Davey presented the following explanation :
Dave wrote:

A friend is on the 'original' (40/10) BT Infinity and has a download
speed of 37 Mbps, upload of 1.5 Mbps.

Two questions - is it true that BT actually upgrade people free of
charge to 'Infinity 2' (80/20) if they ask? And secondly, is there
any 'usual' or well-known reason for the poor upload speed of 1.5
Mbps? I'd have thought that with a download of 37, then the upload
would have been about 6 to 7 Mbps?

BT doing something for free? Surely you jest!

Well, I did find this - seems that you have to sign up to a new
contract but if you do, there doesn't appear to be any extra 'per
month' charge for the speed increase:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infini...de/td-p/600324

Old May 23rd 13, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Guest

On Wed, 22 May 2013 21:57:11 +0100, Dave wrote:

A friend is on the 'original' (40/10) BT Infinity and has a download
speed of 37 Mbps, upload of 1.5 Mbps.

Two questions - is it true that BT actually upgrade people free of
charge to 'Infinity 2' (80/20) if they ask? And secondly, is there any
'usual' or well-known reason for the poor upload speed of 1.5 Mbps? I'd
have thought that with a download of 37, then the upload would have been
about 6 to 7 Mbps?

At work I think we're on 40/10, we are getting 12.5 Mbps down and 5 Mbps
up, which is fortunate as it was the upload speed that we upgraded for.
The ADSL of the Draytek router (that has the fibre plugged in as well)
tops out at 12 Mbps. I think it's our distance from the exchange that's
responsible.

1.5 Mbps sounds oddly low.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere
Old May 24th 13, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Dave wrote:

A friend is on the 'original' (40/10) BT Infinity and has a download
speed of 37 Mbps, upload of 1.5 Mbps.

Two questions - is it true that BT actually upgrade people free of
charge to 'Infinity 2' (80/20) if they ask? And secondly, is there
any 'usual' or well-known reason for the poor upload speed of 1.5
Mbps? I'd have thought that with a download of 37, then the upload
would have been about 6 to 7 Mbps?

You are not on the top deal, so whilst your download speed is OK, your
upload speed is slugged - recheck their web site.

BT doing something for free? Surely you jest!

They did boost my speed from 2Mbps to 8Mbps a few years ago on the proviso I
agreed to another 12 months - no actual charge.

--
Davey.