FTTC Migration

Old May 24th 13, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default FTTC Migration

Does an FTTC migration need an engineer's visit?
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old May 25th 13, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

DrTeeth wrote:

Does an FTTC migration need an engineer's visit?

Well, they _make_ you have one whether or not it's needed ...

Old May 25th 13, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Andy Burns wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:

Does an FTTC migration need an engineer's visit?

Well, they _make_ you have one whether or not it's needed ...

I've had two FTTC migrations. The first there was no suggestion (received by
me at least) that a visit was required, (and there wasn't), the second, (into
Plusnet) did flag up an appointment on the ordering system, but I got it quenched.

--
Mark
Old May 25th 13, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:15:14 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Mark Carver disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

I've had two FTTC migrations. The first there was no suggestion (received by
me at least) that a visit was required, (and there wasn't), the second, (into
Plusnet) did flag up an appointment on the ordering system, but I got it quenched.

Thanks.

I've had it confirmed by my new ISP that an engineer's visit is not
required for an FTTC FTTC migration and the date in the email is the
switchover date.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old May 25th 13, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:15:14 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:

Does an FTTC migration need an engineer's visit?

Well, they _make_ you have one whether or not it's needed ...

I've had two FTTC migrations. The first there was no suggestion (received by
me at least) that a visit was required, (and there wasn't), the second, (into
Plusnet) did flag up an appointment on the ordering system, but I got it quenched.

UPDATE3 BT Reveal UK FTTC Self Install and Vectoring Broadband Trial.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ng-trials.html
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/p7mp4gt

"Currently anybody who buys a Fibre-to-the-Cabinet service has to,
with the exception of some special ISP offers, pay a one-off
installation fee that can cost around 100 (includes the cost of a
VDSL Modem and engineer installation)."

and

[Referring to future FTTC self-install option in the pipeline]

"An engineer does quite a bit of physical work to ensure that
interference is reduced to a minimum and the best line speed obtained,
which is not possible when simply plugging in a Microfilter device
into your phone socket. Expectations about the speed detriment vary
but many fear that it could be quite significant."

Chris S
Old May 25th 13, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Mark Carver wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:

Does an FTTC migration need an engineer's visit?

Well, they _make_ you have one whether or not it's needed ...

I've had two FTTC migrations. The first there was no suggestion (received by
me at least) that a visit was required, (and there wasn't), the second, (into
Plusnet) did flag up an appointment on the ordering system, but I got it quenched.

sorry, I'd read it as migration from ADSL to FTTC, rather than FTTC with
one provider to another

Old May 25th 13, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:10:08 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:

Does an FTTC migration need an engineer's visit?

Well, they _make_ you have one whether or not it's needed ...

I've had two FTTC migrations. The first there was no suggestion (received by
me at least) that a visit was required, (and there wasn't), the second, (into
Plusnet) did flag up an appointment on the ordering system, but I got it quenched.

sorry, I'd read it as migration from ADSL to FTTC, rather than FTTC with
one provider to another

I did wonder about that! However, as it's the local leg from cabinet
to customer that requires engineer installation, the exception would
be from one provider to another at the same customer location. Moving
to another location even if you keep the same ISP will require
engineer presence unless perhaps the new location already has a
physical 'FTTC connection' courtesy of the previous resident?

Chris S
Old May 25th 13, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:10:08 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Andy Burns disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

sorry, I'd read it as migration from ADSL to FTTC, rather than FTTC with
one provider to another

Yes, my bad, sorry about that.
--

Cheers,