Mail, News and Three mobile broadband

Old May 26th 13, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

Default Mail, News and Three mobile broadband

I've just signed up with Three for mobile broadband, as they seem to be
the best bet for a short term.

I can't find any outgoing mail servers, nor a news client. Their
internal support doesn't seem to know - does anyone here know the
addresses, or even whether they have such a thing?

Andy
Old May 27th 13, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Andy Champ brought next idea :
I've just signed up with Three for mobile broadband, as they seem to be the
best bet for a short term.

I can't find any outgoing mail servers, nor a news client. Their internal
support doesn't seem to know - does anyone here know the addresses, or even
whether they have such a thing?

Andy

Where have you looked?

A quick search produces this possible asnwer to one of your questions.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/2329/uk-mobile-operators-internet-and-email-settings

Old May 28th 13, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newshound

On 27/05/2013 22:43, Jono wrote:
Andy Champ brought next idea :
I've just signed up with Three for mobile broadband, as they seem to
be the best bet for a short term.

I can't find any outgoing mail servers, nor a news client. Their
internal support doesn't seem to know - does anyone here know the
addresses, or even whether they have such a thing?

Andy

Where have you looked?

A quick search produces this possible asnwer to one of your questions.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/2329/uk-mobile-operators-internet-and-email-settings

Doesn't list PlusNet but they support News too
Old May 28th 13, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

newshound laid this down on his screen :
On 27/05/2013 22:43, Jono wrote:
Andy Champ brought next idea :
I've just signed up with Three for mobile broadband, as they seem to
be the best bet for a short term.

I can't find any outgoing mail servers, nor a news client. Their
internal support doesn't seem to know - does anyone here know the
addresses, or even whether they have such a thing?

Andy

Where have you looked?

A quick search produces this possible asnwer to one of your questions.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/2329/uk-mobile-operators-internet-and-email-settings

Doesn't list PlusNet but they support News too

Sorry....who mentioned Plusnet?

Old May 30th 13, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 28/05/2013 09:50, newshound wrote:
On 27/05/2013 22:43, Jono wrote:
Andy Champ brought next idea :
I've just signed up with Three for mobile broadband, as they seem to
be the best bet for a short term.

I can't find any outgoing mail servers, nor a news client. Their
internal support doesn't seem to know - does anyone here know the
addresses, or even whether they have such a thing?

Andy

Where have you looked?

A quick search produces this possible asnwer to one of your questions.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/2329/uk-mobile-operators-internet-and-email-settings

Doesn't list PlusNet but they support News too

Since when was PlusNet a mobile phone operator?
Old June 2nd 13, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Where have you looked?

A quick search produces this possible asnwer to one of your questions.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/products/2329/uk-mobile-operators-internet-and-email-settings

All over the B***y place. Three's contact number for support is premium rate but I raised a request with them. The response is that it's mbb.three.co.uk - which doesn't exist. mail.three.co.uk (aka smtp.three.co.uk) exists, but doesn't seem to agree with Thunderbird. So I'm left with webmail. And Google Groups.

Does anyone know of a mobile broadband provider that _does_ provide an SMTP server (and a news server!) that works, and won't require a long-term contract? I only want this connection for a few months until we've found and bought a new house.

Andy
Old June 3rd 13, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vir campestris

On Monday, 3 June 2013 11:19:47 UTC+1, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Have you tried smtp-mbb.three.co.uk?

I have now. That's another brownie point for PlusNet support - well done Bob! That will make my life much easier, no more *** with webmail for the estate agents!

Interestingly it doesn't used port 465 or 587 as they suggest for the published server, but plain old 25 with no authentication. Someone please tell me it isn't an open mail relay...

Many Thanks

Andy