Simple mobile broadband alarm widget?

Old June 11th 13, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N_Cook

Default Simple mobile broadband alarm widget?

I 'm after what I thought would be a common place widget.
An alarm that sounds or flashes when, during the current online session, the
bytes recived (in particular) exceeded some number preset by yourself ,when
on a paid for by the megabyte usage of mobile internet access .
Anyone know of such a simple widget? googling just throws up alarm clocks.
For the moment using nettxrx always-on graphical display and log of bytes
received and sent.
It seems so simple a widget that I could almost construct one myself, taking
the
"bytes received" in Win7 and comparing with some preset value and activate a
Beep.
Perhaps that is the problem ,it is too basic sor anyone to waste time on

Old June 11th 13, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:08:28 UTC, "N_Cook" wrote:

I 'm after what I thought would be a common place widget.
An alarm that sounds or flashes when, during the current online session, the
bytes recived (in particular) exceeded some number preset by yourself ,when
on a paid for by the megabyte usage of mobile internet access .
Anyone know of such a simple widget? googling just throws up alarm clocks.
For the moment using nettxrx always-on graphical display and log of bytes
received and sent.
It seems so simple a widget that I could almost construct one myself, taking
the
"bytes received" in Win7 and comparing with some preset value and activate a
Beep.
Perhaps that is the problem ,it is too basic sor anyone to waste time on

This really needs to be done at the router level if you have more than
one device connected. Otherwise you are just going to see one box's
stats. Do you have the sort of router you can telnet into and pull
stats? Zyxels for example. Then a bit of scripted telnet pulling the
stats every X minutes would do what you wanted.

HTH

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old June 11th 13, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:08:28 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

I 'm after what I thought would be a common place widget.
An alarm that sounds or flashes when, during the current online session, the
bytes recived (in particular) exceeded some number preset by yourself ,when
on a paid for by the megabyte usage of mobile internet access .
Anyone know of such a simple widget? googling just throws up alarm clocks.
For the moment using nettxrx always-on graphical display and log of bytes
received and sent.
It seems so simple a widget that I could almost construct one myself, taking
the
"bytes received" in Win7 and comparing with some preset value and activate a
Beep.
Perhaps that is the problem ,it is too basic sor anyone to waste time on

DU Meter. http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

It's shareware, but not expensive.

Rod.
Old June 11th 13, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Dave Saville wrote:
[...]

Mobile internet access is usually achieved via some sort of 3G dongle.
So the dongle itself is the place to put this control.

Now ask yourself "in whose interest is this?". The dongle suppliers are
the 3G network providers, and clearly their interest is in getting you
to maximise your use of their service, so they can get more money from you.

The network providers generally offer some sort of website that shows
your usage. From what I've seen this is usually wrong, and at best
misleadingly out of date. If such a service worked properly it could
send a text to a nominated phone when you exceeded a preset amount - but
then text messages are often delivered many hours late!

Simplest solution is PAYG. Once they have sent you the data volume that
you've paid for, it stops until you put in more money.

--
Graham J

Old June 11th 13, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N_Cook

wrote:

[...]

Reading that it seems to send an alert , rather than simply beeps or flashes
on the receiving pc, sending something to an email account is not
particularly useful. All a bit of a trip-hammer to crack a nut but the
closest I've seen so far

Old June 11th 13, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:21:29 +0100, Tony
wrote:

In article , says...

I 'm after what I thought would be a common place widget.
An alarm that sounds or flashes when, during the current online session, the
bytes recived (in particular) exceeded some number preset by yourself ,when
on a paid for by the megabyte usage of mobile internet access .
Anyone know of such a simple widget? googling just throws up alarm clocks.
For the moment using nettxrx always-on graphical display and log of bytes
received and sent.
It seems so simple a widget that I could almost construct one myself, taking
the
"bytes received" in Win7 and comparing with some preset value and activate a
Beep.
Perhaps that is the problem ,it is too basic sor anyone to waste time on

Netmeter will do it and its free.
Tony

An earlier responder pointed out:

"This really needs to be done at the router level if you have more
than one device connected. Otherwise you are just going to see one
box's stats. "

Then a later responder suggested:

"DU Meter.
http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

It's shareware, but not expensive."

The above two quotes are related in that DU Meter offers:

"Optional reporting to dumeter.net:
If you have several computers, dumeter.net lets you see their combined
bandwidth usage: clear and simple charts display daily trends, hourly
averages and other important metrics. Detailed daily, hourly and
monthly reports are available, and can be saved and printed easily.
Flexible notifications about excessive network bandwidth usage can be
sent to your email, posted on your Facebook wall, or sent via Twitter
direct message."

Quoted from http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/news

AFAIA Netmeter does not have a similar facility.

Chris S.
Old June 11th 13, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
N_Cook

Chris S wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:21:29 +0100, Tony
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

I've since come across
tbbMeter
"# Set alarms to protect yourself from exceeding your monthly usage
allowance, or a fair use limit
# Pre-defined alarm profiles available to download"
which seems to have what I want in the way of an alarm , above what nettxrx
does.
I can try it , after uninstalling nettxrx , to check their meaning of alarm
is that and not notification

Old June 11th 13, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:55:25 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Chris S wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Despite my previous response re DU Meter (which have used in the
past) I currently use tbbmeter. However, I don't use the "monthly
usage" facility because it cannot cope with the rolling 30 day
allowance calculation used by my current ISP. Nor have I been able to
locate any "Pre-defined alarm profiles" to download i.e. the list of
ISP's shown in the screencap of the Current Alarms dialog; mine just
shows four generic profiles.

I'm using v 0.9.9.4 (the app will have updated itself at some point
since 15/02/2011 i.e. the date of the "latest" version 0.9.8.4 as
listed on TBB web site although the downloadable installation file may
be the newer version).

Chris S