Sky in Chaos

Old June 24th 13, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

Default Sky in Chaos

I am currently a Be Unlimited customer.

I have received a number of call attempts from Sky over the last few
days. Each time I answered I got a burst of 'call centre' background
noise and the call dropped. Finally today, someone was at the other end.

She told me that I would be moved over to Sky by September and wondered
if I wanted to move early or had any questions. I asked about static IP
addresses and running servers from home - both of which are important to me.

She said that Sky still don't know what the service will look like in
September. Now, there are about half a million Be/O2 customers and yet
Sky don't know what they are going to do yet. I wouldn't want to be a
Sky shareholder right now.

Old June 24th 13, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Rupert Moss-Eccardt" wrote in message
I am currently a Be Unlimited customer.

I have received a number of call attempts from Sky over the last few days.
Each time I answered I got a burst of 'call centre' background noise and
the call dropped. Finally today, someone was at the other end.

She told me that I would be moved over to Sky by September and wondered if
I wanted to move early or had any questions. I asked about static IP
addresses and running servers from home - both of which are important to
me.

She said that Sky still don't know what the service will look like in
September. Now, there are about half a million Be/O2 customers and yet
Sky don't know what they are going to do yet. I wouldn't want to be a Sky
shareholder right now.

They'll just blame their problems on BT, as they always do ;-(

Old June 24th 13, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 24/06/13 18:05, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
I am currently a Be Unlimited customer.

I have received a number of call attempts from Sky over the last few
days. Each time I answered I got a burst of 'call centre' background
noise and the call dropped. Finally today, someone was at the other end.

She told me that I would be moved over to Sky by September and
wondered if I wanted to move early or had any questions. I asked about
static IP addresses and running servers from home - both of which are
important to me.

the answer is no and no.
go with an independent like Zen, AA or IDnet

and pay a little more for a lot less congestion and support people who
speak English.

She said that Sky still don't know what the service will look like in
September. Now, there are about half a million Be/O2 customers and
yet Sky don't know what they are going to do yet. I wouldn't want to
be a Sky shareholder right now.

Sky news is their best product.
Dint touch em for anything else. Get their sports feeds of internet
servers in strange
countries.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old June 25th 13, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim......

"Rupert Moss-Eccardt" wrote in message
I am currently a Be Unlimited customer.

I have received a number of call attempts from Sky over the last few days.
Each time I answered I got a burst of 'call centre' background noise and
the call dropped. Finally today, someone was at the other end.

She told me that I would be moved over to Sky by September and wondered if
I wanted to move early or had any questions. I asked about static IP
addresses and running servers from home - both of which are important to
me.

She said that Sky still don't know what the service will look like in
September. Now, there are about half a million Be/O2 customers and yet
Sky don't know what they are going to do yet. I wouldn't want to be a Sky
shareholder right now.

if you think that their BB revenue is significant to their bottom line
you've been reading the wrong newspaper

tim

Old June 25th 13, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

tim...... wrote:

[...]

Indeed. But they spent a wodge of cash buying us so either:
1.) They have thrown the money away already or
2.) they are about to throw the money away

Either way it suggests the board aren't making good decisions.

Old June 26th 13, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:13:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote in :

Sky news is their best product.

With certain reservations ...

Dint touch em for anything else. Get their sports feeds of internet
servers in strange countries.

Any advice about how to get full online coverage of the F1 Grand Prix races
that the Beeb aren't allowed to show in full?

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old June 26th 13, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

wrote in :

Sky news is their best product.

With certain reservations ...

Dint touch em for anything else. Get their sports feeds of internet
servers in strange countries.

Any advice about how to get full online coverage of the F1 Grand Prix races
that the Beeb aren't allowed to show in full?

Google "formula 1 fta" - Rob's Satellite TV site is the one you want.

And a 2nd LNB or steerable dish.

Old June 26th 13, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote in :

Sky news is their best product.

With certain reservations ...

Dint touch em for anything else. Get their sports feeds of internet
servers in strange countries.

Any advice about how to get full online coverage of the F1 Grand Prix races
that the Beeb aren't allowed to show in full?

sure. The quality is rough,

http://www.eplsite.com

but if you configure ad block and flash block anmd ignore the vile
commentary and use radio 5 live instead (also IIRC a live internet feed,
tho I get it via Digital terrestrtial on the same PC ) you get a usable
experience.

Albeit the picture is second or two behind the commentary, usually.

Old June 27th 13, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:49:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote in :

Any advice about how to get full online coverage of the F1 Grand Prix races
that the Beeb aren't allowed to show in full?

sure. The quality is rough,

http://www.eplsite.com

Thanks.

but if you configure ad block and flash block anmd ignore the vile
commentary and use radio 5 live instead (also IIRC a live internet feed,
tho I get it via Digital terrestrtial on the same PC ) you get a usable
experience.

Albeit the picture is second or two behind the commentary, usually.

Hmm... The order seems to be terrestrial broadcast, digital broadcast,
internet. 5 live might be closer to being in sync if you used the internet
broadcast
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_five_live/listenlive).