WGR614V9 on Virgin

Old June 30th 13, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default WGR614V9 on Virgin

I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 30th 13, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/06/13 18:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...UM_14May08.pdf

it appears to be a cable (single ethernet) to lan wifi router.

Useless for ADSL without a ADSL modem

Make good access point tho.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old June 30th 13, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hough

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

It is, you're supposed to connect it to the Ethernet output from your cable
modem.

Depending on your knowledge of software hackery, you may be able to
configure it to be another LAN port. Unfortunately they were cheapskates
when it designed and it doesn't have enough memory to run OpenWRT.

Dave

Old June 30th 13, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hough

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 30/06/13 18:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...UM_14May08.pdf

it appears to be a cable (single ethernet) to lan wifi router.

Useless for ADSL without a ADSL modem

Make good access point tho.

I acquired one and this is indeed what I'm using it for, after the previous
AP died.

Dave

Old July 1st 13, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

David Hough laid this down on his screen :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

It is, you're supposed to connect it to the Ethernet output from your cable
modem.

Depending on your knowledge of software hackery, you may be able to
configure it to be another LAN port. Unfortunately they were cheapskates
when it designed and it doesn't have enough memory to run OpenWRT.

Dave

Thanks, my first setp is to replace the Virgin firmware with the
generic Netgear firmware. Then it might prove useful as a second AP.

Old July 1st 13, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hough

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

It is, you're supposed to connect it to the Ethernet output from your
cable modem.

Depending on your knowledge of software hackery, you may be able to
configure it to be another LAN port. Unfortunately they were
cheapskates when it designed and it doesn't have enough memory to run
OpenWRT.

Dave

Thanks, my first setp is to replace the Virgin firmware with the
generic Netgear firmware. Then it might prove useful as a second AP.

If you can..

On my list of things to try is to swap out the SPI flash for something
double the size and see if I can persuade OpenWRT to run on that. It depends
on whether I can get TJTAG to talk to it or not. However, don't hold your
breath.

Dave

Old July 2nd 13, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher formulated on Monday :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I picked a Netgear WGR614V9 on Virgin up for 50p at a booty, then once
home I noticed the rather odd yellow 5th socket, which fits a standard
LAN plug. I'm not familiar with cable, but is the yellow socket
intended for cable only, rather than standard phone outlet?

It is, you're supposed to connect it to the Ethernet output from your
cable modem.

Depending on your knowledge of software hackery, you may be able to
configure it to be another LAN port. Unfortunately they were cheapskates
when it designed and it doesn't have enough memory to run OpenWRT.

Dave

Thanks, my first setp is to replace the Virgin firmware with the generic
Netgear firmware. Then it might prove useful as a second AP.

If you can..

I've fallen at the first hurdle - I cannot seem to get telnetEnable to
install :-(