Network Speed

Old July 3rd 13, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

Default Network Speed

I have just copied 18 files from my desktop to my laptop, desktop is
connected to router via a Homeplug AV running at 187Mbps according to its
utility program, laptop via WiFi at 54Mbps

The 18 files amounted to 864 MB and took 8' 53" to copy - 1.62 MB/s.

Putting decimal places in the right place isn't a strength of mine but
that must be around 12.96 Mbps?

Both machines are running Win 7 x64 which has a reputation for being crap
at networking, certainly seems to be true.

I am very tempted to go 'back' to XP x64, I think I have a couple of spare
licences. Will that improve things or is there anything else I can do?
It's got to be Windows, I have too much invested in it to change now.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old July 3rd 13, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:40:25 UTC, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

I have just copied 18 files from my desktop to my laptop, desktop is
connected to router via a Homeplug AV running at 187Mbps according to its
utility program, laptop via WiFi at 54Mbps

My home plugs deliver about half rated speed. WIFI will depend on
signal strength.

The 18 files amounted to 864 MB and took 8' 53" to copy - 1.62 MB/s.

Putting decimal places in the right place isn't a strength of mine but
that must be around 12.96 Mbps?

It may also depend on what you used to do the copy. Win file shares,
ftp, whatever?
I also would have zipped them up copied the zip over and unzipped -
better detection of errors.
--
Regards
Dave Saville