Routers: on or off overnight

Old July 16th 13, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hankjam

Default Routers: on or off overnight

My router gets pretty warm and I am wondering... is there any
advantage leaving it on overnight?

Cheers

Hj
Old July 16th 13, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 16/07/13 07:08, Hankjam wrote:
My router gets pretty warm and I am wondering... is there any
advantage leaving it on overnight?

Cheers

Hj

depends on whether you expect tehe 4 a.m backup of your remote server to
work or not :-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old July 16th 13, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 16/07/13 07:08, Hankjam wrote:
My router gets pretty warm and I am wondering... is there any
advantage leaving it on overnight?

Cheers

Hj

depends on whether you expect tehe 4 a.m backup of your remote server to
work or not :-)

*******

First I heard of that what is it please?

What I did realise years ago is that if my router is left on 24 hours at
around 4 am I had noted my speed dropped a little each night.
Then after say a week if I switched it off and on my speed went up to what
it had been.
So I started to switch off at bed time and on again in the morning every
night to miss what ever happened to me at 4 am.
My speed as now been constant for years.
So I'm interested in what this 4 am thing is? I had just thought it was
something in my house or locality.

Regards
David

Old July 16th 13, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 16/07/2013 09:25, David wrote:

[...]

I suspect Natural Philosopher was suggesting that you might want to
leave it on if you have anything running locally that requires an
Internet connection during the wee hours.

If you don't then there's not really a problem switching it off
overnight, especially if your speeds remain consistent throughout like
you say they do.

If you have a BT Wholesale-based internet connection then your line will
be subject to BT's Dynamic Line Management systems. Some people
(questionably) advise against switching off your router unnecessarily to
prevent BT's systems thinking your line is unstable and lowering your
speed. In fact, this is probably what caused the 4am problem for you -
Something local caused interference on your line, dropped the connection
and caused it to reconnect at a lower, more stable speed. It remained
like this until you rebooted your router to force another reconnection
during waking hours.

In summary, if you haven't a problem with the speeds you're able to
achieve then continue to switch the router off overnight as you see fit.

Old July 16th 13, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Thank you for the assurance I'm not missing any thing I should have.
It is a BT line of course but I'm at present with Be Unlimited for BB and
phone charges and rental do not think BT mess with me as speed is always
more or less the same.
Going to Sky as you know soon so await to see how they effect me themselves,
will BT be any more involved then?
Thanks
Regards
David

Old July 16th 13, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 16/07/2013 11:05, David wrote:
Thank you for the assurance I'm not missing any thing I should have.
It is a BT line of course but I'm at present with Be Unlimited for BB
and phone charges and rental do not think BT mess with me as speed is
always more or less the same.
Going to Sky as you know soon so await to see how they effect me
themselves, will BT be any more involved then?

It's unlikely David, you'll probably be moved to Sky's LLU kit if it's
available at your exchange.

Old July 16th 13, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 16/07/13 09:25, David wrote:

On 16/07/13 07:08, Hankjam wrote:
My router gets pretty warm and I am wondering... is there any
advantage leaving it on overnight?

Cheers

Hj

depends on whether you expect tehe 4 a.m backup of your remote server to
work or not :-)

*******

First I heard of that what is it please?

a wry comment. Half my 'network' is a machine somewhere in Reading (I
believe), that is casually copied incrementally onto a machine I have
here, in case it falls over.
I do that at 4 a.m. because that's the time I am least likely to be
using the internet.

The only upside to switching the router off, is a little saving in
electricity, so I don't do it.,

I wish SWMBO would switch her Mac G5 off tho. It sounds like an airliner
taking off as the fans are always speeding up and slowing down.

What I did realise years ago is that if my router is left on 24 hours
at around 4 am I had noted my speed dropped a little each night.
Then after say a week if I switched it off and on my speed went up to
what it had been.
So I started to switch off at bed time and on again in the morning
every night to miss what ever happened to me at 4 am.
My speed as now been constant for years.
So I'm interested in what this 4 am thing is? I had just thought it
was something in my house or locality.

After dark, MW radio propagations is good,, and DSL which relies on MW
signals to carry the traffic, suffers higher noise from the MW mush that
is left over post FM and digital.

So speeds tend to reduce to what the worst case - 12-4 am - is. Then
stabilise.

*shrug* in my case its the difference between 6Mbops and 5.5Mbs and
really the BRAS doesn't change, so real speed is unaffected.

Regards
David

Old July 16th 13, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hough

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/07/13 09:25, David wrote:

[...]

My DSL line shows typically 6dB degradation in SNR in a period either side
of midnight, very noticeable.

Dave

Old July 17th 13, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 07:08:01 +0100, Hankjam
........ wrote:

My router gets pretty warm and I am wondering... is there any
advantage leaving it on overnight?

I'm not sure how much it still applies, but up until pretty recently,
if you turned it off as often as once a day, the BT software saw this
as disconnections, and saw that many disconnections as being unstable,
and reduced your line speed accordingly
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Of course I know what I'm doing! Now gimme that magnet.
Old July 17th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:58:35 +0100, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

If you have a BT Wholesale-based internet connection then your line will
be subject to BT's Dynamic Line Management systems. Some people
(questionably) advise against switching off your router unnecessarily to
prevent BT's systems thinking your line is unstable and lowering your
speed.

The speed I get with BT stays the same regardless of my router being
switched off every night or, just recently, for a week.

Steve