ISP allowing existing email address in 'From:' & access to SMTPserver away from home?

Old July 28th 13, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice

Default ISP allowing existing email address in 'From:' & access to SMTPserver away from home?

Trying to help a retired distant relative moving into Frome (Somerset)
by year end and wanting an ISP who allows:

(1) Use of existing email address in 'From:' when sending emails
(i.e. not new ISP mailbox address)

(2) Access to SMTP server when away from ISP connection
(e.g. away from home with laptop).

He is not a power user at all, just a basic user of email and browser,
so no need for unlimited d/l cap or top-end speeds, or broadband+phone
packages (e.g. LLU, cable).

From my use elsewhere of PlusNet I believe that would suit well,
except that they do not allow (2) above. (Not sure about (1).)

Anyone happen to know of e.g. BT re-seller ISP's who allow the above,
please?
(I know ICUK does, but they're much more expensive than PlusNet.)

--
/\/\aurice
Old July 28th 13, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 28/07/2013 13:08, Maurice wrote:
Trying to help a retired distant relative moving into Frome (Somerset)
by year end and wanting an ISP who allows:

(1) Use of existing email address in 'From:' when sending emails
(i.e. not new ISP mailbox address)

(2) Access to SMTP server when away from ISP connection
(e.g. away from home with laptop).

He is not a power user at all, just a basic user of email and browser,
so no need for unlimited d/l cap or top-end speeds, or broadband+phone
packages (e.g. LLU, cable).

From my use elsewhere of PlusNet I believe that would suit well,
except that they do not allow (2) above. (Not sure about (1).)

Anyone happen to know of e.g. BT re-seller ISP's who allow the above,
please?
(I know ICUK does, but they're much more expensive than PlusNet.)

I think you're correct about (2). However, he could always use webmail
when away from home.

Regarding (1), I'm assuming that he has an email address in the format
or similar, rather than a *transferrable* email
service, such as Hotmail, Gmail, etc, both of which can be tweaked to
allow emails to appear in his email application's inbox.

If it were me, I'd set up a Gmail account now, tell all his contacts the
new email address and start using it. Once established, he wouldn't even
have to have to bother taking up a new email address from his new ISP.

Or get a domain, but that's probably too much hassle for him?

Old July 28th 13, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Maurice expressed precisely :
Trying to help a retired distant relative moving into Frome (Somerset)
by year end and wanting an ISP who allows:

(1) Use of existing email address in 'From:' when sending emails
(i.e. not new ISP mailbox address)

(2) Access to SMTP server when away from ISP connection
(e.g. away from home with laptop).

He is not a power user at all, just a basic user of email and browser,
so no need for unlimited d/l cap or top-end speeds, or broadband+phone
packages (e.g. LLU, cable).

From my use elsewhere of PlusNet I believe that would suit well,
except that they do not allow (2) above. (Not sure about (1).)

Anyone happen to know of e.g. BT re-seller ISP's who allow the above,
please?
(I know ICUK does, but they're much more expensive than PlusNet.)

Who provides the From address now?

Old July 28th 13, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Maurice wrote:

Anyone happen to know of e.g. BT re-seller ISP's who allow the above,
please? (I know ICUK does, but they're much more expensive than PlusNet.)

It may be more sensible to separate the issues of ISP - the company who
provide connectivity to the net when he's at home, from the issue of who
provides outbound email facilities.

If he uses his ISP's outbound SMTP server when he's at home, but someone
else's when he's out & about, that might be slighly confusing (depending on
how his email client is configured) as changes would possibly need to be
made every so often. Also it's never great to rely on a different way of
doing things when out & about if it's not been used/tested for ages...

If you find an SMTP server that's got nothing to do with his ISP, and set
his mail client up to use it all the time, then it will make no difference
whether he's at home or out & about.

The ad-free (cheap but not free) service from fastmail might help you. If
you get this (pretty limited in terms of inbound emails, so probably worth
forgetting that aspect of their offering) I think you can then use their
outbound server from anywhere. See:
https://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastma...ricingtbl.html

Bias: I'm a customer of theirs; all my mails regardless of the many
different 'from' values I use, get sent via fm's servers.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old July 28th 13, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

George Weston wrote:
Or get a domain, but that's probably too much hassle for him?

Get a domain, and a 10/year mail hosting package.

Hosting means you're decoupled from your ISP. That means you can change ISP
without changing email address or settings. You can jump on a train, go to
a hotel, use mobile broadband and you don't need to change a thing. It also
means you're protected in case the ISP does anything radical (like BT
handing over email to Yahoo or Virgin to Gmail) or decides to impose stupid
limits (must login once a week or your account is cancelled).

The main thing you don't have with most hosting is a gazillion gigabytes of
free space so you may have to download emails to your computer every few
months. But sounds like you do that anyway.

Theo
Old July 28th 13, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 28/07/13 13:08, Maurice wrote:
Trying to help a retired distant relative moving into Frome (Somerset)
by year end and wanting an ISP who allows:

(1) Use of existing email address in 'From:' when sending emails
(i.e. not new ISP mailbox address)

most will allow this, or use the old smtp relay setting.

(2) Access to SMTP server when away from ISP connection
(e.g. away from home with laptop).

there you need someone who uses a password protected relay.
if the current relay allows that, continue to use that.

You do not HAVE to use the mail service supplied by your ISP AT ALL.

Not to send, not to receive.
In general the smaller the ISP the less restrictions there will be on you.

But roaming access is normally disallowed for relays unless they are
authenticated.
OTOH there are a lot of 'gimmee 5 bucks a year and use my
authenticated relay' type organisations out there..

should you fail to find a free one.

He is not a power user at all, just a basic user of email and browser,
so no need for unlimited d/l cap or top-end speeds, or broadband+phone
packages (e.g. LLU, cable).

From my use elsewhere of PlusNet I believe that would suit well,
except that they do not allow (2) above. (Not sure about (1).)

Anyone happen to know of e.g. BT re-seller ISP's who allow the above,
please?
(I know ICUK does, but they're much more expensive than PlusNet.)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old July 28th 13, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:09:16 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

Get a domain, and a 10/year mail hosting package.

Too much of a complication for him (76), and presumably would mean a
change of email address, which he wants to avoid.

But - with hindsight - that's what he would have done earlier.

--
/\/\aurice
Old July 28th 13, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:37:45 +0000, I wrote:

set up a Gmail account now,

Like me, already got one!

To keep the same email address, Plan B would be to use the Gmail
SMTP server, subject to the need to use 2-step verification (and/or
Application-Specific Password) when away from home.
But the latter is a bit of a complicaton for him.
--
/\/\aurice
Old July 28th 13, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Maurice wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:09:16 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

Get a domain, and a 10/year mail hosting package.

Too much of a complication for him (76), and presumably would mean a
change of email address, which he wants to avoid.

This is not what you said in your first post - then you said he just wanted
to be able to continue to set "From" in the same way as at present.

But now you're suggesting he wants still to be able to receive emails at his
old email address. He will not be able to do that unless he maintains his
old ISP account.

What is it about this situation that prevents him from keeping his old ISP?

Why does he think (or you think) that he needs a new ISP at all?

Changing an email address is something that one would normally not do
lightly, without planning, and without running old & new addresses in
parallel for quite some time. When I did it, I ran old & new for more than
2 years (because illness meant I couldn't do all the migration as fast as I
wanted to), despite having - I thought - good documentation of precisely who
I had handed out my old email address(es) to, and doing a careful migration
of each user who knew the old address(es) to new one(s). In that period I
still found I got genuine mails to old addresses from people I'd forgotten
knew those addresses. Unless your friend only uses email for a handful of
people there is going to be grief.

As to avoiding having to change email address... this situation (if he does
neeed a new ISP) is precisely why people use their own domains.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".