UW Club - capped?

Old August 5th 13, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default UW Club - capped?

My neighbour Gary has had ADSL from UW Club since 2007. The speed is
576 kbits/sec, yet the router shows 20dB SNR margin and 63.5dB Line
Attenuatuation.

I've suggested he try a quiet line test and that might show a lot of
noise. The master socket is near to the router, and there is a
BT-supplied faceplate filter.

But from his location I would expect the line to give him about 2 Mbits/sec.

Does anybody know whether UW Club cap the service (or used to) ????

TIA

--
Graham J
Old August 5th 13, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 05/08/2013 17:37, Graham J wrote:
My neighbour Gary has had ADSL from UW Club since 2007. The speed is 576
kbits/sec, yet the router shows 20dB SNR margin and 63.5dB Line
Attenuatuation.

I've suggested he try a quiet line test and that might show a lot of
noise. The master socket is near to the router, and there is a
BT-supplied faceplate filter.

But from his location I would expect the line to give him about 2
Mbits/sec.

Does anybody know whether UW Club cap the service (or used to) ????

TIA

I'd say that the limiting factor is that very high attenuation figure,
which indicates to me that he lives quite a distance from his local
exchange. If that's the case, then there's not a lot he could do to
improve matters, apart from tweaks like fitting a filtered faceplace,
removing any internal wiring, etc...
Old August 5th 13, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

George Weston wrote:
[...]

Yes he's a long way from the exchange. But other people in the area
(including me) get about 2 Mbits/sec with similar attenuation figures
but SNR margin around 6dB

BT have done all the wiring improvements as described in my original
post - no extraneous internal wiring, filtered faceplate.

So I repeat - it it likely that UW Club sold him a capped service?

--
Graham J

Old August 5th 13, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry_Jervis

On 05/08/2013 19:46, Graham J wrote:
George Weston wrote:
[...]

Have you had a look in the same area for other UW Club customers and
see what they are getting. Handy tool for this is at the following url.
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/

Harry
Old August 5th 13, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
My neighbour Gary has had ADSL from UW Club since 2007. The speed is 576
kbits/sec, yet the router shows 20dB SNR margin and 63.5dB Line
Attenuatuation.

I've suggested he try a quiet line test and that might show a lot of
noise. The master socket is near to the router, and there is a
BT-supplied faceplate filter.

But from his location I would expect the line to give him about 2
Mbits/sec.

Does anybody know whether UW Club cap the service (or used to) ????

TIA

--
Graham J

On their website they say that there is traffic management. In their T & Cs
they say:

"You agree to use the Internet Service in accordance with our
Traffic Management Policy as published from time to time on our
website at www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk."

Now try and find it on their website! Perhaps I didn't pick the appropriate
"from time to time" to look?

It might be worth reconnecting whilst logging, just to see if there is ever
a 6dB fast connection. Can he ask a neighbour for their Line Stats?

PA

Old August 5th 13, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 05/08/13 19:46, Graham J wrote:
George Weston wrote:
[...]

Not if he is synchimng at 576, no.

what has happened is his BRAS has been knocked off its perch, either
because of noise on the line or a noisy router.

Phone the ISP and get the line reset.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Old August 5th 13, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 05/08/2013 20:36, Peter Able wrote:
[...]

Go to any ISP's website and check probable speed for the
address/postcode/phone number.
For instance:
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...net-speed-test

http://www.plus.net/ (go to "check what's available)
http://www.idnet.net/data_products/adsl2plus.php ("check availability")
etc....
Old August 5th 13, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

George Weston wrote:
[...]

My recollection is that the line synced at 576kbits/sec from day one,
when I was first involved in about 2007.

There were problems with reliability, and UW Club called out Openreach,
who improved the wiring and fitted the faceplate filter.

Router has just failed, so I installed a new one today - same
performance figures.

Is there anybody at UW Club who would understand "reset the line"?

--
Graham J

Old August 6th 13, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert Moss-Eccardt

George Weston wrote:
[...]

Does the router say what signalling is in use. It may well be he is on
ADSL (up to 1Mb)

Old August 6th 13, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

George Weston wrote:
[...]

well IIRC the fixed services were 256 and 512k - never 576K and in fact
ADSL 1 was up to1.5Mbps. MINIMUM. in fact its up to 8 in general

So he cant be on a fixed rate.

Oh. A bit of googling reveals he MAY be on a fixed rate after all.

The 512k service was a 576 synch rate., so it looks like that may be the
problem.

UW club do not however sell a fixed 512 rate, so something is definitely
wrong.

I think the first thing I would do is take a different router round and
plug that in the faceplate and config it up.

In the limit phone 0844 815 0000. and bitch.

If they wont play ball, leave the *******s