Wifi Antennas

Old August 11th 13, 05:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gargoyle60

Default Wifi Antennas

I need some advice please?

I have a wired router with an attached Wireless Access Point (ZyXEL WAP3205).
The WAP is centrally located in a hallway cupboard at a height of approx. 6 feet. It has two of the
short standard rubber-duck antennas.

I am having some trouble with signal quality inside my home, which is solid brick construction. I
have 4 IP cameras, two of which send a clear signal but the other two struggle to maintain good
signal strength (probably due to the number walls through/around which their signals have to travel
in order to reach the WAP).

To overcome this problem I was intending to purchase a higher gain antenna, such as 7dbi or even
10dbi - see here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1709292769... 4.m1438.l2649

However, where is it best to place the antenna - on the WAP or on the cameras? I had assumed on the
WAP but would appreciate confirmation.
Also, if on the WAP then should I replace both of the short rubber-duck antennas with larger ones?

Old August 11th 13, 05:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:29:21 +0100
gargoyle60 wrote:

[...]

I'd first try replacing the antennae on the cameras that exhibit low
signal strength. There again, at a cost of 1.25 each delivered from
HK, why not stick a 10dBi twig on everything that will take one?
(Answer: extending the range of your WAP may make you more hackable.)

Old August 11th 13, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gargoyle60

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:53:44 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

I'd first try replacing the antennae on the cameras that exhibit low
signal strength. There again, at a cost of 1.25 each delivered from
HK, why not stick a 10dBi twig on everything that will take one?
(Answer: extending the range of your WAP may make you more hackable.)

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the HK twigs and might opt for them.
Old August 11th 13, 07:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

wrote:

[...]

Without boring you with why, the fact is that so-called "High gain
antennas", unless deliberately directional, are pure snake oil.

Can you add another AP to illuminate the rest of the house?
Old August 12th 13, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:15:00 +0100
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

Without boring you with why, the fact is that so-called "High gain
antennas", unless deliberately directional, are pure snake oil.

I thought the basic ones were more directional normal to their axis
than shorter ones? Otherwise how about those cheap dish antennas for
his cameras?

Old August 12th 13, 01:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gargoyle60

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:15:00 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

Can you add another AP to illuminate the rest of the house?

That is the other option I am considering, but wouldn't that also risk exposing my netowrk to
external hackers?
As it is I can see as many as seven wifi networks belonging to my neighbours, I'd rather not add
mine to that publically exposed list.
Old August 12th 13, 02:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

wrote:

Can you add another AP to illuminate the rest of the house?

That is the other option I am considering, but wouldn't that also
risk exposing my netowrk to external hackers?
As it is I can see as many as seven wifi networks belonging to my
neighbours, I'd rather not add mine to that publically exposed list.

You can stop it from appearing in the list by switching off the SSID
Broadcast option. That doesn't make you invisible to a real hacker,
but it makes you less obvious to the hoi polloi.

Old August 12th 13, 02:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gargoyle60

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:09:38 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

You can stop it from appearing in the list by switching off the SSID
Broadcast option.

Yes, done that.
Old August 12th 13, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

Without boring you with why, the fact is that so-called "High gain
antennas", unless deliberately directional, are pure snake oil.

I thought the basic ones were more directional normal to their axis
than shorter ones?

Did you read the link in the OP? It was for a "Very powerful omnidirectional
indoor antenna" with 10 dBi of gain. Under Roman Catholic church rules
anyone who can make just two of those miracles would qualify for sainthood!

A perfect loss-free omnidirectional antenna will have 0 dBi of gain. A real
one at the end of a length of coax would be doing well to achieve -3 dBi.

Yes, adding gain from directivity, i.e. from reducing the gain in other
directions, is possible but it's not too practical to install or to aim for
an antenna intended to illuminate the interior areas of a home.
Old August 12th 13, 04:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote:

Without boring you with why, the fact is that so-called "High gain
antennas", unless deliberately directional, are pure snake oil.

I thought the basic ones were more directional normal to their axis
than shorter ones?

Did you read the link in the OP? It was for a "Very powerful
omnidirectional indoor antenna" with 10 dBi of gain. Under Roman
Catholic church rules anyone who can make just two of those miracles
would qualify for sainthood!

I see what you mean. :-)

A perfect loss-free omnidirectional antenna will have 0 dBi of gain.
A real one at the end of a length of coax would be doing well to
achieve -3 dBi.

Yes, adding gain from directivity, i.e. from reducing the gain in
other directions, is possible but it's not too practical to install
or to aim for an antenna intended to illuminate the interior areas of
a home.

But ... but ... Pringles. :-)