Windows 7 Networking

Old August 12th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking, uk.comp.homebuilt
Jeff Gaines

Default Windows 7 Networking

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 x64 and it can't find my
Buffalo Terastation - even though I added an entry in hosts to try and
help Win7's brain dead networking.

I need the NAS to show it in Explorer since that's the only way I can pick
the path in various programs (specifically backup apps ATM). I can get
there via a shortcut, I can ping the Buffalo by name but will the little
bas*** show up in Explorer -NO!

I have added an entry in the registry that's supposed to help (it reduces
security slightly) but I wonder if MSFT have issued an update recently to
make poor networking even worse in Win7.

Any ideas? I do have Xpx64 imaged and was running that 2 days ago with no
problems at all - except it won't run Windows Live Mail which I use to
sync my 'phone to calendar/contacts.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Old August 12th 13, 12:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rob Morley

On 12 Aug 2013 10:35:21 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 x64 and it can't
find my Buffalo Terastation - even though I added an entry in hosts
to try and help Win7's brain dead networking.

I need the NAS to show it in Explorer since that's the only way I can
pick the path in various programs (specifically backup apps ATM). I
can get there via a shortcut, I can ping the Buffalo by name but will
the little bas*** show up in Explorer -NO!

I have added an entry in the registry that's supposed to help (it
reduces security slightly) but I wonder if MSFT have issued an update
recently to make poor networking even worse in Win7.

Any ideas? I do have Xpx64 imaged and was running that 2 days ago
with no problems at all - except it won't run Windows Live Mail which
I use to sync my 'phone to calendar/contacts.

Have you tried "net use x: \\hostname\sharename" ?
change drive, host and share names as appropriate

Old August 12th 13, 12:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rob

On 12/08/2013 11:35, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 x64 and it can't find
my Buffalo Terastation - even though I added an entry in hosts to try
and help Win7's brain dead networking.

I need the NAS to show it in Explorer since that's the only way I can
pick the path in various programs (specifically backup apps ATM). I can
get there via a shortcut, I can ping the Buffalo by name but will the
little bas*** show up in Explorer -NO!

I have added an entry in the registry that's supposed to help (it
reduces security slightly) but I wonder if MSFT have issued an update
recently to make poor networking even worse in Win7.

Any ideas? I do have Xpx64 imaged and was running that 2 days ago with
no problems at all - except it won't run Windows Live Mail which I use
to sync my 'phone to calendar/contacts.

Do you mean MAPping the drive using it's IP address and entering
suitable name and password doesn't work? That's what I do here
on a fully patched 7x64 and it works fine.
--
Rob

Old August 12th 13, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Bob H

On 12/08/2013 12:46, Rob wrote:
[...]

There is a setting in Win7 that I had to select/check yesterday with a
new install, as it couldn't or didn't show my nas box.

In windows explorer/tools/folder options, tick/select show hidden drives
and folders.

Once I had done that, my nas box was shown in the list so to speak.
Old August 12th 13, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jeff Gaines

On 12/08/2013 in message Rob wrote:

[snipped]

Many thanks Rob and Rob.

My Billion modem/router seems to have blown up so perhaps it was a problem
there, living with a Plus Net supplied one for now and I can see the NAS
fine - perhaps the Billion was on its way out?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
Old August 12th 13, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rob Morley

On 12 Aug 2013 14:51:41 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

On 12/08/2013 in message Rob wrote:

[snipped]

Many thanks Rob and Rob.

And Bob, don't forget Bob. :-)

My Billion modem/router seems to have blown up so perhaps it was a
problem there, living with a Plus Net supplied one for now and I can
see the NAS fine - perhaps the Billion was on its way out?

Makes sense. When my cable modem died I got loads more use out of it
just by removing the case and dangling it in the air by its cables - I
think it was suffering from cooked capacitors, but they behaved well
enough in the open air. I could probably have fixed it by replacing
them, but later got a new modem instead.

Old August 12th 13, 04:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jeff Gaines

On 12/08/2013 in message [email protected] Rob Morley
wrote:

On 12 Aug 2013 14:51:41 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

On 12/08/2013 in message Rob wrote:

[snipped]

Many thanks Rob and Rob.

And Bob, don't forget Bob. :-)

OMG, sorry Bob :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends
Old August 13th 13, 11:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Michael Chare

On 12/08/2013 11:35, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I have just carried out a clean install of Win 7 x64 and it can't find
my Buffalo Terastation - even though I added an entry in hosts to try
and help Win7's brain dead networking.

I need the NAS to show it in Explorer since that's the only way I can
pick the path in various programs (specifically backup apps ATM). I can
get there via a shortcut, I can ping the Buffalo by name but will the
little bas*** show up in Explorer -NO!

I have added an entry in the registry that's supposed to help (it
reduces security slightly) but I wonder if MSFT have issued an update
recently to make poor networking even worse in Win7.

Any ideas? I do have Xpx64 imaged and was running that 2 days ago with
no problems at all - except it won't run Windows Live Mail which I use
to sync my 'phone to calendar/contacts.

An entry in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts may help. I have to do
this for my Linux PVRs.

--
Michael Chare